“A few minusses, but overall an excellent hotel”
Review of Hampton Inn Sedona

Hampton Inn Sedona
Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The Hampton Inn in Sedona is nicely located in the more "modern" section of the town, to the west of "downtown" Sedona and all of the tourist traps. This is a section of town near the airport with hotels, restaurants, and supermarkets / drugstores, etc. It's a nice area, because traffic is so much lighter here than in the downtown district.

The Hampton Inn is clean and comfortable, with nice, large, functional rooms. The hotel is quiet and most of the staff were very friendly.

Two very small items to criticize, but I wouldn't let either one stop you from staying here. One expects to feel welcome at a hotel, not like the staff are doing you a favor letting you stay there. While most of the hotel staff - from cleaning crews to the breakfast staff - were very friendly, a couple of the front desk people stood around with scowls on their faces. One would expect a greeting from the front desk - something to make you feel at home. None of that here.

Second is the breakfast. It's pretty standard and nothing really to complain about, but the first morning we were there, there were a lot of families and one could not get near the single waffle maker they had. Besides the waffle maker, they had the usual assortments of cereals, oatmeal, and muffins. Stay away from the fake (?) eggs.

The coffee is excellent.

We stayed at the hotel twice, about a week apart. We had a similar experience each time. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are convenient to the back parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank drbking
Debbie F, General Manager at Hampton Inn Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of your stay at our hotel. Such detail is very helpful to us. I am glad you were pleased with most everything here and will plan on stayng with us again in the future. We love having you here!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

From check in to check out this hotel is a very nice stay! Upon checking in I asked where is a good place to eat Mexican Food (dive or not a dive). The lady at the desk told us about Plaza Bonita that was located in the strip mall next to the hotel. Great Food! The rooms were clean, modern bathroom, soft beds and a great view of the mountains out the front of the hotel. The pool was clean, well maintained, plenty of towels and the hot tub was HOT! So were the incredible cookies served in the evening. As a smoker there were numerous exits to go smoke in my pj's and the pool gave us an ash tray next to a table and chairs. Breakfast was very good and we were thankful to have a good hot free high protein breakfast before our fun filled days around Sedona!

I highly recommend this hotel in Sedona as it is right on the strip and convenient to everything we were doing during our 2 day stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle G

Thank you for the lovely review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that our pool breakfast, beds, location, and general layout so perfectly suited your needs while in Sedona. That was our goal! We hope you will be our guests again when you are next in our area. We love having you here!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My family of four stayed at the Hampton Inn Sedona in late June for 2 nights on our way to the Grand Canyon. If you’ve stayed at a Hampton Inn before, you’ll be in very familiar territory. My overall impression was good. Especially amazing was Julia at the front desk, who could not have been nicer or more helpful, both with hotel needs and restaurant recommendations. I’ve stayed at Hamptons a lot over the years, and this location was middle of the road. The room was clean and relatively spacious, had a view of the red rocks from our window, plenty of parking, and the beds were ok. Part of the hotel is below grade, so if you want a view at all be sure to request 2nd floor. It was my impression that some cost cutting was going on at breakfast, as the same warmed scrambled eggs were served both mornings, where there used to be different options day to day. There was a waffle maker, so the kids liked that. There is nice looking outdoor pool, but we didn’t swim.

A quick note about Sedona: it’s expensive! Restaurants are pricey, attractions are pricey, groceries are pricey (see a trend here?). It’s a beautiful area, and I’m glad we went, just want to prepare you. Especially amazing was the Broken Arrow Pink Jeep tour. Over $300 for my family of 4, but we all agree it was a highlight.

Room Tip: Ask for room on second floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Midwestfreqtrav

We want to thank you for taking time out of your travels to write such a helpful review of our hotel, and Sedona in general. I'm so glad you had such a great time - and yes, Julia is a very special team member - we agree! I am sharing your comments with her and the whole team here. We are looking forward to having you as our guests again when you next visit our area. We love havng you here!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The staff in this hotel (especially the PM shift lady) is great and makes the experience superb for families (and other guests).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a nice review! We are so glad your stay here was a pleasant one and that our staff was so helpful to you. We hope you will return to our area and allow us to be your hosts again. We love having you here!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

My husband & I booked our stay with the expectations of all Hampton Inns having the same quality.  When we arrived at noon the manager at the front desk had an attitude with me, saying the room wont be ready until three (with a condescending tone), when all I wanted to ask was where I could put our luggage until check in.

From there it was all down hill.  Dirty, dirty, dirty! I cannot say it enough!

Housekeeping was extremely poor from hair in bathtub from previous guest to dirty rugs.  My poor white socks will never be white again.

The Front desk personnel needs to be more attentive and more customer service oriented. I feel this is important as front desk personnel are the face of Hampton Inn to all the guests.   I work in the customer service industry, and all my clients get superb customer service.

It is my hope the Hampton inn of Sedona will learn from this! It is in a very beautiful city, with amazing vistas all around, and people come from all over to enjoy while some stay at the Hampton, the money charged for the stay doesn't meet the quality expected from Hampton Inn, it's more like the run down cheap "by-the-hour" motel.

Our experience was simply unacceptable for the standards of a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank fourgreys
Debbie F, General Manager at Hampton Inn Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. It is our goal to have every guest's stay be perfect - we are truly sorry yours was not. If you will please reach out to me personally, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss any issues and seek some resolution with you.

Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

We found our stay at the Sedona Hampton Inn to be a pleasant one. I'm really surprised by all the negative feedback. Our room was nicely cleaned everyday, the breakfast every morning was convenient, the staff was friendly and helpful and you can't beat the location. This is my second time staying at this particular Hampton Inn and I will be back for a third. You really can't beat the price and with breakfast served every morning you save yourself at least $30 bucks per day. Believe me.. I have stayed at every hotel/motel on the spectrum. The Four Seasons & The Ritz Carlton to the Super 8 and Motel 6... This hotel is middle of the road but it is clean, convenient and comfortable and that's all I care about.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Michelle W
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time out of your travels to write us your nice review! We don't get it about the recent negative feedback either! It was refreshing to read that comment from you. Our front desk staff is wonderful and caring, great with recommendations and reservations to area restaurants and activities. Our back office wall is papered with thank you notes and very complimentary guest survey comments. Our experienced housekeeping team does an excellent job nearly all the time - when it is called to my attention that we have missed somewhere along the line, we make that less than satisfactory guest experience the subject of our daily meeting and figure out new practices to see that the deficiency will not appear again. We do take any complaints and suggestions very seriously and make whatever adjustments in procedure or amenities possible to please our guests. So it seems we have succeeded with you, and we are so pleased to have you as return guests and look forward to greeting you again next time you are in the area. Thanks again for the review!

Reviewed June 27, 2012

I am usually very generous and overflowing with compliments to hotels where we spend our hard earned money while on vacation. With that said, we choose the Hampton brand, because of the quality of the product, the beds are superior, the cleanliness throughout. Boy, were we shocked at Hampton Inn of Sedona.
The facade is beautiful...and that's it!

The pool area: unkept pool and grounds, the concrete surround was black from footpaths when it should have been white, after all it should be kept as clean as I hope it was at the beginning of the season...The stones on the two waterfall areas were literaly in desperate need of a deep cleaning to remove the fungus and bacteria growth! Wading through the debris in the pool should not be the norm.

The room: Call me finicky but, shouldn't one's recently showered feet remain clean during the walk from the bathroom to the bed? My feet were BLACK from the dirty rug! Shouldn't the hair from the previous guest be completely removed from shower/tub area BEFORE receiving the new guests? Shouldn't the AC unit work properly and blow cold air when it's programmed for it? Shouldn't the bed and pillows be the same standard as other Hampton properties? As far as I know, Hampton has had the fluffy bed and pillows FOR YEARS! Obviously, this hotel missed that memo...

We couldn't stay any longer as it was becoming more gross by the minute for us, we stayed one night and so we left the hotel two days early, knowing we had paid for our stay in advance and it was non refundable, that's on us... But you would think the front desk staff to be more attentive and sympathetic to ask us why we're leaving early or just simply, how was your stay? NOT A WORD FROM THEM.

SHAME ON YOU HAMPTON INN OF SEDONA!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MassagebyCarlos
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond to some of your comments about Hampton Inn Sedona. First, I am truly sorry your experience with us was not perfect in every way. I am sorry I was not aware of all the objections while you were here and I could speak with you, but I will address what I can without knowing exactly who you are. Yes, we are pleased to offer the standard Hampton beddng - our beds get rave reviews from our guests in the morning, even to asking where they can buy the same beds. I'm not sure why your experience was different - again, I don't know where you stayed so I can't check on whether that bed is not centered on the frame or what is going on with it. The pool deck is gray colored and our season is year round. It was never white at "the beginning of the season;" the darker areas are not dirty from foot traffic, not dirty at all, in fact, but rather discolored from the minerals deposited by the water that has splashed over in that area from the waterfalls. That mineral deposit is also what you mis-perceived as" fungus and bacteria growth" on the rocks of the waterfalls. Thinking it was fungus, I'm sure you wouldn't have touched it, but had you touched it you would have learned that t is solid rock. Any chemical we could use to remove that mineral deposit would also destroy the rock which forms the waterfall- the rocks are made of the same minerals, per se, as the mineral deposits we have in the water here, really reasonable if you think about it. The only time there is anything like debris in the pool is when the wind is blowing a gale and leaves are blowing into it, but we certainly don't leave it that way! I can't tell from your review when you stayed - we did have a tree which provided additional shade to the pool area, but it constantly dropped leaves and flower petals into the pool and we actually removed that tree in April, because it was becoming difficult to keep up with keeping the pool always looking pristene and inviting.
You have my apologies for the deficiencies you experienced with regard to the cleanliness of your room. There is no reasonable explanation for that - I can't really look further into it as I don't know where you stayed, but I assure you this is not our standard! If you would please contact me directly, I would like the opportunity to review your reservaton and work with you to a satisfactory resolution.