“Great Stay, Friendly Service, Scenic Area”
Review of Poco Diablo Resort

Poco Diablo Resort
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed November 25, 2006

was panicky after reading Biddingfortravel.com and TripAdvisor.com reviews on the Radisson Poco Diablo. I booked two rooms for my parents and myself and feared the worst.

I was pleasantly surprised how nice this hotel is and how professional and friendly the staff at the Radisson are. Honestly, it was a very beautiful hotel that met all the resort requirements of Priceline. I felt I got a good deal for the $75.00 plus fees I paid.

I called the hotel one day ahead of time to let them know it would be my parents 48th wedding anniversary during their stay. The clerk said she placed the information in the computer and gave me my Radisson reservation number. She was a bit curt over the telephone but said I could use my Radisson reservation numbers to express check in online. She did not promise any upgrades, which made me fear the "Priceline" room experience.

I went to the website to check in. I found out Priceline paid $66.75 plus tax for the room since the folio is posted when you access the reservation to check in. I did check in but was unable to assign myself a room. I was only able to make requests for certain types of rooms.

Upon check-in, and after a two hour drive from Phoenix Airport, passing some amazing red rock formations, we got to the hotel entrance. The front desk are looked similar to the website and is very small. They had hot cider in the lobby and we waited just a few seconds before getting to the front of the line. I did notice two tour groups would be staying at the hotel during my time at the Radisson since there were key packets and a rooming list by the desk.

The front desk supervisor kindly congratulated my parents on their anniversary and said they had been upgraded to a casita property. Nice touch. There room was 633. I was assigned a standard room next to the golf course and close to the pool/fitness area - Room 115. It was a short walk via a dirt path to my parents room.The clerk explained the $5.00 resort fee and the .75 cent newpaper charge.

The resort fee covered outdoor parking, internet access and use of the fitness room. They add the seventy five cent charge for the USA Today newspaper. I thought was tacky but worth it so I did not have to walk in the morning to get current events.

My parents room was nicely appointed. The room had a sleep number king bed, fireplace, large sized tv, and a jacuzzi bathtub. The view of the rocks were spectacular from their first floor deck area. Ducks roamed the golf course and came right up to their balcony door. The hotel even placed a bottle of Asti-Spumante in their room wishing them a Happy Anniversary. Nice touch for a hotel that has an online reputation for poor, indifferent service.

After getting them settled in, I went to see my room which I antcipated to be much, much worse. I was wrong. The room was a reasonable size, had two sleep number queen beds, a tv, refrigertor, robes, and was very clean. I did notice I was missing a bathtub stopper in my tub, but a quick call to the front desk took care of the problem. Not soon after the bathtub stopper was replaced, the front desk called to see if I was satisfied. Again, this was a nice and surprising touch.

The room had good qualtity bathroom amentites, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and a refrigerator. Again, it was very, very clean. My standard room was so well appointed that I question the current reviews.

The hotel, itself has a nice layout. The rooms are all entered via an exterior cooridor and spread out in a courtyard setting with a small golf course in the middle. The grounds are nicely landscaped and the red rock views are very pretty. There is a serence, quietness of the property that I enjoyed.

The hotel has a small pool with a jacuzzi. The fitness room has aerobic machines, weight machines, and free weights located in the same area. It was fine and functional but the fitness room did show some wear.

The hotel is a little far outside of Sedona but a close enough to not make it a problem. Uptown Sedona is a little farther away. There is tons to do with shopping and jeep tours into the Red Rocks. There are some nice, down home restaurants as well nearby. I recommend the Coffee Pot for breakfast and Cucina Rustica for dinner. Rustica is a bit pricey but good.

My stay at the Radisson Poco Diablo was lovely. The rooms were well done and the service more than friendly. I will say the walls are thin and its easy to hear your fellow guests but I slept soundly. Although the Radisoon may not be a five star property, it easily deserves its three star rating and qualifies for the resort category with Priceline.

i would not hesitate at all to stay here again. In fact, I would look forward to it.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank hjmover

Reviewed November 25, 2006

Good Hotel for the price I received on Priceline.
My room had a gas fireplace and a Cathedral ceiling. It overlooked a par 3 golf course, in fact, one hole was just outside our sliding glass doors.
Pros-Good price on Priceline
Fireplace
Spatious Room
Convenient Location
Helpful courteous staff

Cons-Does not have the feel of a Resort nor some of the amenities of a First Class resort

It's a nice 3 star hotel.

Ripper1967

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank rainfriend
Reviewed October 14, 2006

Our stay at this hotel was not a pleasant one. First, the key cards were provided with did not work in the lock. It took us 30 minutes to finally get into the room (waiting at the door for assistance outside). When I finally went back to the front desk, I experienced a very rude young lady who snapped that I should have just used the key upside down from the directions!

Once we were in the room, we discovered a very dirty (and stained) floor in the bathroom. Later, we discovered that the sink and bathtub drained poorly due to (I am sure) hairballs in the traps!

I only dined once in the dining room, having breakfast. The meal was overpriced and they did not offer any toast. Lastly, I was nearly finished with my meal when the waiter finally brought coffee and water to my table.

My wife and I decided to leave a day early. Upon checking with the front desk, we were told that there was no problem in leaving early as long as we were out of the room by checkout time. We did check out, and arranged a room at a local Bed & Breakfast.

Since we were there in a group of about 100 people, we returned for the evening function at the hotel and I again checked with the front desk about my refund. Only then was I told that I could not receive a refund and that our group was under contract for the stay, and that there would be a $50.00 penalty for early check out even if they did offer a refund. I then contacted our group contact who had contracted with the hotel for the group stay, and he told me that we should have checked with him and that there would be no refund at all (understand, that this was not a hotel employee).

In short, our stay was very unpleasant. The staff was rude, uninformed and incompetent. The room was dirty. We highly recommend that one should think twice before staying here and only then, as a last resort!

• Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank Roger49
Reviewed September 29, 2006

Previously read some adverse reviews so was a little concerned about what to expect. Should not have worried! Our three night stay was very good. The hotel is not particularly attractive but is well located for what Sedona has to offer.

Check in was very pleasant and efficient (had emailed hotel prior to arrival from the UK to assist in booking several restaurants for us which they graciously did. We dined at Rene's based on numerous positive reviews but found it very ordinary and tired looking with no particular merits and also at Cucina Rustica which was superb, with a brilliant atmosphere, fabulous decor, the most charming service and delicious food).

Our room was large, over looking the golf course (which looked very small however!). We had a large bathroom and another vanity unit in the dressing area which was very useful. The beds had an electronic adjustment facility to change the firmness of the mattress which was more a gimmic than comfort facility. We had breakfast in the hotel each morning which was perfectly adequate and the service was bright and cheerful.

The hotel is being systematically refurbished and there was a letter from the manager explaining what was happening and apologising in advance should we be inconvenienced in anyway. We encountered no problems and all work seemed to be carried out very discreetly. We did agree to ourselves that the hotel could do with some freshening up but we were perfectly happy with our stay.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Whinbrook
Reviewed August 8, 2006

I understand this hotel was good in the past, but with the current management, the service is terrible. Examples:
- I arrived in the afternoon of July 30th. It took me 5 tries with a most unfriendly front office clerk to get Internet and telephone services working at the same time. The guys who finally came admitted they new very little about Internet.
- There is a coffee maker in the room. When I asked the front desk girl for the usual package of stirrer/creamer/sugar, she said I should go to the restaurant. Most unfriendly. But the next day I got everything as I am accustomed to get from other chain hotels.
- The Internet connection was on the opposite wail to the desk, about 10 feet away. When I mentioned the problem to the front desk, she offered a 6 foot cable and could not understand why it would not work.
- The door to the closet was out of joint and unusable. It was fixed in a couple of hours.
- I asked the front desk to see the manager and could not
- We were a large group at a meeting, 20 or so, many of us had similar complains and some gave up completely trying to use the Internet.
- The bartender would watch the games on TV and not see the patrons calling - they had to go from their tables to the bar to be noticed.
- The restaurant was an amateurish joint. Tortilla for the fajitas had holes, so the sauce would drip through them. The creme brulee was not worthy of the name. The crust was cold, and it was clumpy inside.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank aleph
Reviewed August 7, 2006

We would not return to this hotel. We have stayed at many hotels/resorts and even motels. Motels have been a better deal than this so called resort. The room was very old and shabby and we could not get any hot water, just luke warm. The view was a cement wall. We booked through Orbitz and upon arrival the hotel would not honor the rate we had been quoted. We ended up paying an extra $60/night. We ordered room service for breakfast. Very slow and the staff member did not know what he was doing, the food was so so. Had dinner at the hotel resturant, all guests had to wait over an hour to be seated. They had a function earlier that day and the staff were busy cleaning up. After being seated another wait of 50mins for the food to arrive. It was cold and my Husband;s order was wrong. We loved Sedona but would not stay here again for any price. Lots of other nice places to choose from.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank rcidawn
Reviewed June 12, 2006

I had been a little apprehensive about staying at the Poco Diablo after reading the very mixed reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised by the place. I stayed in a recently renovated room, which was large and had exceptionally comfortable beds. The facility is well maintained, there's a pretty good gym, and the pool and jacuzzi are attractive. Food in the restaurant is OK but not inspired. The staff is courteous and unobtrusive, although the maid service could stand improvement (bath amenities were not always replaced, and one time I found a bag of trash on the desk). While not truly a "resort," Poco Diablo is reasonably priced and well situated to take advantage of Sedona attractions.

• Stayed: June 2006