“Los Abrigados”

Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Tucson, AZ
“Los Abrigados”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Before spending this past weekend at Los Ab, I looked at the two most recent reviews. I feel bad for those folks. Our experience was nothing like that. The staff was friendly enough, the room was clean (we had a pet room) and the grounds were amazing. They have a pool, two hot tubs, 2 restaurants with billiards, a bar, plenty of room to walk, tennis and basketball courts, a separate kid's pool, a walking labyrinth, and the property is right along the Oak Creek. The views were ok, because the resort is located pretty low in elevation compared to other resorts and hotels, but was still magnificent. There's hardly a bad view in Sedona. The grounds are gorgeous. The hedges are all trimmed in unique shapes: animals, geometric shapes, chairs, etc. There are rose bushes everywhere which I'm sure in June are magnificent. They blooms had all gone by the time we got there this past Friday. The only problem we had was a scorpion that ended up in our room after a night of heavy rain. This is Arizona, and it happens. The staff came to our room and sprayed it. We didn't see any more bugs. The room itself was spacious. We had a tile floor, which our dog loved laying on. The bedroom was big. The bathroom light was dim, but all you had to do was turn on the heat lamp and it was plenty bright. The dim bathroom bulb was nice when I had to get up but my boyfriend was still sleeping, as the light didn't disturb him.
Los Ab is the original homestead site of T.C. Schnebly and his wife, Sedona. They were some of the first European settlers in the area, and the first to build a home that could accommodate guests. They were also the first to bring irrigation to the area. Their original house still stands on the Los Ab along with the original irrigation ditch, though both have been restored. The resort is located directly behind Tlaquepaque, a famous shopping area that is absolutely gorgeous, and the Oak Creek Brewery was right there as well, in view of the hotel lobby. We did not eat there though, because they close pretty early (8:30pm on a Friday). If this is your first visit to Sedona, do not be fooled. It is easy to think there is nothing past the shops on 89A East, but head west on 89A and West Sedona opens up with grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, and of course, many many shops.
Los Ab is being taken over (all of ILX is) on 8/14 of this year. This may be part of the reason why the previous two reviewers had less than ideal experiences. Until last week, the employees did not know if they were going to have jobs or not, as ILX Resorts filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy in March of this year. If you've ever worked in ANY kind of customer service, you can understand why having an uncertain future could make it hard to be that perfect, cherry, employee every single day.
We were bothered by some of the language used by the sales people on our time share tour (we did not buy). The tour guide commented that "All the Mexicans have done a beautiful job with the grounds." I am a bit bothered by the blanket statement. The sales manager (the one the bring in to REALLY try to convince you to buy) stated she was surprise people like us were staying at the resort. I wasn't really sure what she mean by that, but I was offended none-the-less.
Either way, the resort will be changing come 8/14. The new owner, Diamond Resorts, is planning on re-doing everything, building by building, and in some cases, knocking the building down and starting over. Please take that into consideration as you plan your stay. Construction and restoration is likely to be taking place over the next 1-2 years, and no one wants that on their vacation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Los Abrigados has the most run-down, gross rooms I've ever stayed in. They have likely not been updated in 30 yrs, and appear just plain dirty. It's likely because no matter how much they clean, it's impossible to make such disgusting old floors, carpets, etc. look clean.

The grounds are decent and this place could have potential. There is a nice pool. But the buildings are seriously falling apart and not being maintained, painted, or even power washed. Our patio was also disgustingly dirty. I could not get past the awful rooms, so I felt the whole place was unclean. Also, the bed was not comfortable and the headboard was a huge wooden monstrosity from the 70's. The rug was so bad I wore flip flops the whole time there.

I'm honestly shocked there are any good reviews on this place. I'm not a hotel snob. I would stay in a cheap, roadside hotel as long it was decently clean and had a comfortable bed. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Luckily Sedona is a outdoors place and we were out and about all day each day we were there.

Next time we're back in Sedona, I will ensure we stay somewhere nice to help improve our situation, not make coming back to the room after a long day of hiking a dreadful experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laurakaz13

Travelers are raving about these Sedona hotels

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 8, 2010

FILTHY. It was clear that many areas of the room had literally never, and I truly mean NEVER, cleaned. That was enough for me, but it gets worse from there.

We had reservations for nearly 30 days, but when we arrived after 2p, we were told no room for any one in our extended party would be ready until 5p.

We took the room that could supposedly sleep four people. When we arrived, we learned that meant a bedroom, with a pullout sofa. OK, I took the pullout, being the lightest person. We pulled it out, and the frame was bent so that the "foot" of the bed could not be pulled down. It remained approximately 8-10 inches above the ground. So, we pushed the frame back in and I slept on the terribly lumpy sofa.

There is almost nonexistent light in the shower / toilet area. The bulb had wattage of about 40 watts.

There was not one place on the grounds (of this supposed "resort") to get anything to eat after 9p. Not even a vending machine!

I would never consider staying here again, even if I had to drive all the way back to Phoenix to sleep. By no stretch of the imagination is it a "resort," and I am not exaggerating when I say I have never stayed in a hotel this bad in my adult life.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank zyxxyz71
Doncaster, England
Reviewed July 4, 2010

The resort is in an excellent location for exploring the surrounding area which we did during our one week stay from 18 June - 25 June 2010 during our two week vacation in Arizona. We did the obligatory Pink Jeep Tour as well as a Tour to the Grand Canyon and also rode the Sedona Trolley Bus - all tour guides were excellent and shared their obvious knowledge with us! Shame about the Shultz fire in Flagstaff which meant we couldn't visit Cameron during our trip to the Grand Canyon! Would also recommend the drive through Oak Creek Canyon which deserves its top ten drive rating to take in the USA!
Although the concierge was very helpful to us and arranged our trips etc with no fuss and again was knowledgeable about the area the staff at the pool bar often disappeared to collect food orders which meant you sometimes had to wait.
The villa was ok and although previous reviews had me concerned in respect of cockroaches we didn't see any in our rooms though they were noticeable in the very well kept grounds at night. (Didn't need any Raid or Borax!)
Food was a little pricey in the restaurants for what you got and the entertainment on site was lacking but it didn't spoil our trip as we had a car and explored. My partner played golf at a nearby resort in Oak Creek and thoroughly enjoyed it and would have played more if we had stayed longer. (Played Sedona Golf Resort Course)
I would consider staying here again but would complain about the type of air cinditioning units if staying longer as it wasn't very efficient!! (Hopefully this was just ours as it gets there in the summer).

Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed June 25, 2010

This was a great resort. It is very beautiful and roomy. It was perfect for what we were needing and the restaurants on site were great too. The patio was very relaxing and just what we needed. Will most definitely stay again!

phoenix, az
Reviewed June 25, 2010

We hosted our wedding at Los Abrigados and had family and friends travel to Sedona from all over the country. In all our wedding took up approximately 35 rooms at the resort over Memorial Day weekend. I cannot say enough about how impressed both ourselves and our friends and family were with the service, ammenities and of course the amazing experience of being in Sedona. Since my husband and I live in Phoenix, we're in Sedona quite often as it's one of my favorite places. We've spent several weekends in Sedona and have plenty of options of places to stay - Los Abrigados has set a standard.

In addition to our wedding going off almost flawlessly, our guests are still raving about the food and service that weekend. The resort had another wedding as well and being Memorial Day weekend, one might have expected things to be a little hectic but we did not see any of that. Our guests rave about how friendly the front desk staff was. They were even willing to help with gift bags as our guests checked in, and moved our room to be closer to the creek where our wedding was taking place.

Our rooms were HUGE, very clean and truly made us feel at home. We ate at both Steaks & Sticks and love going to Joey Bistro as well. The staff at both are very friendly and the food is great. There are a ton of other options all within walking distance at Tlaquepaque as well.

I HIGHLY recommend Los Abrigados and look forward to going back!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah M
Northern Kentucky
Reviewed June 25, 2010

We stayed here on the 13th and 14th of June. Wished it was for longer. Place was very nice, Spanish Villa in style. We had a second story place with a great view of the Red Rocks, one of the few rooms to have a view. Sorry, don't remember the building or room number. We did not save on our room rate by taking the time-share sales pitch option as we did not have the time to waste on this.
The first night we were there we were lucky in that a Taste Of Sedona was going on at Los Abrigados. Great time. Food from about 20 restaurants in the area plus alot of wine and music. Met some nice locals.
The rooms were large and nice, bathroom could have used some updating. Beds were very comfortable, nice sized balcony with table and chairs. Could have easily stayed here for a couple of weeks. Very quiet during the evening and early morning.
Had breakfast at Joeys both mornings. Good breakfast plus reasonably priced. Very nice waiter. wish I could think of his name. Sports bar was nice for a drink in the evening. Pool was great, drinks also.
The village connected to the resort has alot to offer just don't expect anything to be open on a Monday night. Whole area closed down around 7p.m. Did eat at the Oak Canyon Brewery which was open. Very good. Stop in across the street at the Crystal-Vortex shop. It's a blast.
Alot of good hiking in area, Airport Road Loop, Cathedral Rock, Bell Rock. Exhausted at the end of the day. Start early. Bring a good amount of water.
Overall. highly recommend this resort.

Thank Mr.LeConte