“Vacation from Hell”

Los Abrigados Resort and Spa
Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
“Vacation from Hell”
Reviewed November 1, 2008

First, there are no elevators. My room was on the second floor, but there were 3 staircases to climb before getting there. A large, dead cockroach stayed in front of my doorway for about 6 days out of 7 --no one ever swept the hallways or stairs.

I went to the spa for a facial treatment and wound up with a face looking like I had been in an accident--as if dragged face down on concrete--besides the treatment being extremely painful. When I called and complained about my face, they said some faces were more sensitive than others. I had to ask for aloe vera to put on my face. I was told to "Stay out of the sun"--this in July and the reason I went to Sedona.

I stayed in my room for 2 days, then I ventured out to their restraurant "Steaks & Sticks". Don't bother going to this restraurant if you think you might need to go to the washroom during your meal. When you get back, your food and brochures will have been cleared away and other people seated at your table--just like a Twilight Zone episode.

My overall impression--If you want to be insulted, injured and stay in a place that doesn't keep halls and stairs clean--this is the place to come!

P.S. The pool was taken over by teenagers at all hours it was open.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable.
  • Disliked — Staff's disregard for my well-being and happiness.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank egypt4me

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
San Jose, CA
Reviewed October 21, 2008

This is quite a lovely resort, siuated in a beautiful setting adjacent to Tlaquapape (spelling???) and the creek. They do not fall short as a resort & spa. The spa facilities were more than adequate. The massage therapists were excellent. The health club had a good assortment of free weights and machines, although some of the equipment was a bit dated. Los Abrigados has a very comfortable & relaxed atmosphere that make it a great place for couples and families with kids. The only disapointment were the rooms. With all the sun and surrounding beauty of Sedona the rooms were a bit dark & lacking in windows. The furnishings of the rooms were comfortable but they were just a bit dated.

Stayed October 2008
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We just returned from a week's stay at Los Abrigados. The resort remains one of the most conveniently located places to stay in Sedona. Within walking distance, you’ll find Tlaquepaque’s restaurants and shops, a farmer’s market provided by the resort, and even Uptown Sedona’s more commercial and touristy area, full of more dining and shopping options. Please be aware that there is major construction currently taking place around Sedona. Sidewalks are being added, and streets are being widened and paved on Highway 179 and parts of 89A. This will directly affect you if staying at Los Abrigados. Throughout the day, you’ll be able to hear the construction vehicles, and traffic coming in and out of the resort area will be tricky at times. Once done, however, the roads and streets will be much more accessible for both pedestrians and drivers.

The resort itself seems to be going through changes, as we saw several rooms being remodeled. Our 2-bedroom suite with a small kitchen was very nice, comfortable, and situated in a lovely corner of the resort away from all the activity. The resort amenities, such as the fitness center, the pool, and the hot tub were also well-maintained and enjoyable to use.

My only concern may be their customer service. I’ve stayed here before, and I did notice a lack of concern or quality on this recent trip. While their responses were adequate, I’ve come to expect a bit more when staying at this kind of resort. They were NEVER helpful on the phone when calling prior to our stay, but slightly improved when dealing with them in person, i.e., during check-in or check-out. I just couldn’t help but feel that they weren’t happy doing their jobs, and that’s never good in the hospitality industry.

My final summary – if you can hold off on visiting Sedona, do so. Wait 6 months or so, until the construction is done. (This is a guess; I have no way of knowing for sure when they’ll be done), but if traveling to Los Abrigados, expect a very nice stay at a good resort, ideally located to all the scenery and activities in Sedona. Just don’t expect too much from their staff.

• Liked — Location - Sedona and its' natural beauty remains one of my places to vist.
  • Disliked — The resort's customer service lacked professional and attention to detail.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank NJtraveler40
chicago
Reviewed October 4, 2008

I travel for work 75% of the month and want to enjoy where I stay when on vacation. I wouldn't even stay here for work. The lock on the door didn't work. We were locked out every time we left the room. The room smelled musty , looked like a college dorm (so bring your shower shoes!) and had body hair left in the shower from the guest before. Bring your own towels, unless you like drying off with sandpaper.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Sedona hotels

Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 30, 2008

We exchanged our Marriott timeshare for a week at this resort. We stayed in a two-bedroom "Oak Creek Gold" unit. There were two adult couples and we had plenty of room and were comfortable. The unit was clean and the housekeeping was sufficient. Towels are exchanged and garbage is removed daily. The unit and furnishings were in need of some updating. We've stayed in other timeshares that are considerably more upscale, but again, we were not unhappy.
The resort is in a great location and the grounds are extensive and well maintained. As mentioned in other reviews, there is much road construction going on directly in front of the resort and in both directions. Noise isn't really a problem, but walking to places outside the resort through the red dirt and blinking traffic cones isn't too enjoyable and is somewhat dangerous. I was told the roadwork is in its third year with another year to go.
Onsite restaurants are very good. The pools are nice as well. The adult pool during our stay was somewhat crowded so we used the kids pool which we had pretty much to ourselves most of the time. For some unknown reason, the pool bar at the adult pool was never open during our stay from Saturday to Saturday. You can, however, order drinks from the inside bar for delivery to either pool.
The staff was very nice and the two ladies working the concierge desk were very friendly and helpful. There is no internet service in the rooms even if you read otherwise. There's a couple of computers down in their lobby for guest usage. That's something they need to work on. I didn't find parking to be a big problem as other reviewers have stated.
This is a timeshare property and they will call you about a presentation. My wife found that person to be quite rude, but fortunately they only called once after being firmly told we weren't interested. Being hassled by timeshare salespeople is often a given in these types of accomodations. Too bad.
All in all, it was a great vacation. We took the Pink Jeep Tour, went Grand Canyon rafting, and did many other activities - this resort was a fine place in which to return. Again, it could stand some unit updating, but we had no serious complaints or issues that were within the control of Los Abrigados.

• Liked — Great location. Good food. Spacious.
  • Disliked — No internet access in unit. Needs some unit updating.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Sedona
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I have had the pleasure of enjoying Sedona Arizona at least twice a year for the last 15 years. In all my travels to this wonderful place, this last time was positively the most memorable. The foremost reason for this wonderful experience was my stay at Los Abrigados. The grounds and gardens on this property were exceptionally well groomed. The room was spacious and of great value. The staff made my visit to Sedona one to remember. Joey Bistro is a must for anyone that enjoys fine Italian cuisine, and Stakes and Sticks is a great place for informal dining. I would recommend this property to anyone who appreciates great value and high quality hospitality.

• Liked — Great Value!!!
  • Disliked — Construction
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 24, 2008

I stayed there mid Aug 08. We stayed in one of their (not advertised) studios. It was relatively cheap, 109.00 a night. Its just a single room with a bed, table, fridge and bathroom. I stayed in room #309, the handicapped room. (Which I didn't need). I was told it was the only one available for the nights I needed. The only benefit of this room is the large private parking space. When we went in the room, the first thing we noticed was the odor. My girlfriend said it smelled like "feet". The second thing we noticed was that the venitan blinds covering the glass doors were damaged. It looked "low budget". They had also cut out a large square in the louvers to accomidate the door handle, consequently, anyone could just look into the room from the outside! If they did, they would be looking directly at the bed!
Creepy. We had to hang a towel over the door handle to cover the hole. When we went to bed, the pillows were very old and extremely lumpy. When the (noisy) air conditioner came on, a picture hung above the bed started to rattle. I had to take it down. Then the headboard started to rattle as well, I put a towel behind it to quiet it down. In the morning we were awakened at 6:30 AM by VERY LOUD footsteps above us. Turns out there was a room above ours, 307. Obviously the building is made of a (cheap) wood construction. In the shower, (no bathtub) we found a used towel from the previous occupants. Their is a high window in there which is not frosted over, letting anyone coming down the stairs from 307 to see in. There is also one of those detachable shower-heads, a good idea but it is mounted too high. Im 6' tall and I had to reach up to get it. A handicapped person could never reach it. When it is hung, it turns toward the shower curtian and when you straighten it out, it just turns back toward the curtian. So I could only use it handheld. The sink is not in the bathroom, I didnt mind that. Oh, the room also has actual keys, two of them, which will cost you $50 each if you lose them. I ate at the Stakes & Sticks restaurant my first night. OK at best. The Oak Creek Brewery was just OK as well. I wouldn't recommend either. There was another studio room adjacent to ours 308, it was unoccupied for most of our stay. It appears to be the "model" for the sales people to show. I took a peek inside and it was immaculate. Fortunately we were never bothered by any sales person to buy a timeshare, although we saw other people being "escorted" around. A little bit about Sedona, there is a TON of road construction. I was told by a local that this has been going on for the last 2 years, with 2 more years to go! This construction extends right in front of Los Abrigados. Its a small town so expect big city traffic. Also, (almost) everything closes around 5:PM. Something I'm not used to. The restaurants stay open a little longer, till around 9:00. FYI It is also Monsoon season. It pounded rain everyday around 4:PM. We discovered this while we were on a Jeep tour. Rain, hail, lightning, and lots of thunder all aournd us. No fun cheating death and getting pelted by hail in an open Jeep for an hour. The best part of the Jeep tour was the restaurant recommendation by the driver. Dahl & Di Luca Ristorante was fantastic!! 4stars!! Really, really good food. I will recommend this place to everyone going to Sedona. In conclusion, If your going to Sedona, bring your camera, your raincoat, and your patients. Whatever you do, dont stay in room 309 at Los Abrigados.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The Room!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple