“SURPRISINGLY NICE”

Los Abrigados Resort and Spa
Ranked #42 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed August 27, 2013

After reading all the reviews I was afraid to go. I even tried to get in somewhere else. I am glad we stayed with Las Abrigados.
We had a room in T building facing family pool. We had a nice view. We were on second floor. There were all new appliances, everything was clean and it was not noisy. We were disappointed that the one pool was not finished but the family pool turned out to be fine since we had our 9 year old Grandson with us and he liked the pool. We had a 1 bedroom that slept 6, but the beds were just a full size and small. Not big enough for 2. The sofa bed was fine and that is where our Grandson slept. The grounds are beautiful with a lot to do right at the resort. We could not get WIFI anywhere even in lobby. We sat in the lobby for 1 hour one day and it never downloaded. They said in 6 months a new system would be installed but that did not help us. The playground was nice. Plus they had the big chess game and miniature golf . Everyone was happy. We never stayed at resort during the day so missed all activities. We had tours and trips planned for each day. We were there a week. The Sunset Grand Canyon tour with dinner at the Bright Angel Lodge was excellent. Our tour guy Dave was great. We did stay at Grand Hotel in Jerome for one night for there Ghost Tour. Also don't miss the Ghost Mine tour and town if going to Jerome. The children can pan for gold there. We also did a Hopi Village Tour with Left-Handed Hunter Tour. It was good but the kids sat in the back third seat of his vehicle and could not hear him. Don't miss Red Rock State Park on Loop Road. We did the church and hiked Bell Rock. We ate breakfast at the Coffee Pot Restaurant in West Sedona one morning and it was very good.
Everyone we met who worked for resort was great. I have no real complaints. We had an excellent vacation with friends and there Grand-children who stayed in building U. One thing we do not know what the extra $15.00 a night went for since we did not have WIFI or anything else special plus pool was not finished.

1  Thank Robin-mara

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is a somewhat long review. I'm going to go into a lot of details, so be warned.

This was an anniversary trip for my wife and I. Our trip was from July 7th-13, 2013. When we arrived, we were informed the pool was completely closed as it was being worked on, and would not be open the entire time we were there. While we were aware the pool was being worked on when we originally booked the trip, the date the website said the pool would be finished was 7/1/2013. We did not receive an email update before our trip telling us the pool would not be finished. After checking out how far along the pool work was, it became obvious that they were horribly behind schedule. They had not even begun to pore concrete for the new foundation. The only attempt by the hotel to make up for this was a free buffet breakfast one morning during the week, and then telling us we could travel to any of the other resorts to use their pool. Who wants to drive an additional 20 minutes to go to another pool? In addition, we were informed upon arriving that there would be a daily $15 resort fee, which we were not told during booking. Now, normally, I'm okay with resort fees as they usually cover most of the basics, but there was NO WiFi internet service available in the rooms. The only place in the hotel it was available was in the main building.

We were also told to visit the concierge who could help us plan activities and meals for the week we were there. She was quite helpful, except for when she pushed a time share presentation. They offered a free helicopter ride as well as a free 3 night stay in another resort (which after looking into it, is only valid for Sunday - Thurs check in time). At this point, the helicopter ride was intriguing, so we decided to go to the presentation as my wife's parents have a timeshare points program and they enjoy it.

Our first timeshare presenter was friendly and chatty. His technique was fine, and in the end, we decided to say no. They then brought us to ANOTHER sales rep to sell the "sampler" package, which is supposed to be a trial run of their program. This was intriguing. Unfortunately, we were lied to at almost every turn. It was quite obvious that our sales rep was brand new. Every time I asked a question, he had to go get someone else to come over and answer them. We were also told we would be introduced to the creator of the sampler platter. This was also a lie, as we came to find out he was merely the sampler manager for that location. In the end, we were told that we had 7 days to change our mind, and with that, we signed.

After getting home, and looking online and reading reviews, we decided the package wasn't the best fit, so I attempted to cancel the package and get a a refund of the initial deposit. I have been vehemently denied on 3 occasions because my wife and I signed a non cancellation, refund or rescission clause. I don't remember signing this clause, and on the paperwork, there is no line where you would initial. I remember my sales rep coming back and saying "oh there's one more thing for you to initial". Now, it is my fault that I signed that without reading, however, as I mentioned, we were verbally told we could cancel within 7 days, which I did.

Overall, I'm sure the pool and WiFi issues are taken care of now that some time has passed, but whatever you do, say NO to the timeshare presentation. They will lie to you to get you to sign. I'm very close to taking to twitter, Facebook, and any other method I can find to publicly announce the ludicrous of the situation. It wouldn't surprise me if someone name Patrick Duffy replies to this post telling me he'll handle the situation. From when I've read online, he replies to posts like this to try and help, but then NOTHING ever comes if it (this is after I followed up with the original posters).

The hotel is located directly behind an art and culture shopping center which is quite lovely. It's also relatively close to the main area of shopping in Sedona as well as a ton of trails for hiking and biking. I HIGHLY recommend you stay in Sedona, just not at Los Abrigados or any other Diamond Resort.

BOTTOM Line: There are better places to stay in Sedona. Don't trust ANY Diamond Resort International.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Charlie C
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

It is with deep regret to read that your stay here at Los Abrigados Resort did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality, and offer quality accommodations at an affordable cost to each guest that stays with us, and we were very concerned after reading your review in that we did not meet these expectations. The refurbishment project for our main pool was originally scheduled to be finished on July 1st 2013; however, due to circumstances beyond our control, this project did not finish completely until recently. During this time, our secondary pool was open for our guests to use. Just as an FYI, the resort fee covers several amenities at our resort, which include, but not limited to: Wi-Fi services, access to the spa, tennis, and golf facilities, locker rooms, and fitness center. This information as well as costs are relayed to all of our 3rd party rental partners, as well as, on our managing company’s main rentals website. We are in process of upgrading our Wi-Fi coverage so that this service reaches the whole resort, not just the lobby area. Please accept our request for patience as we work to get this project finished. The 7 day rescission period you are referring is for new purchases of points (original offer), and does not include trial memberships such as The Sampler. Your salesman offered both products to you during the time of sale and made it clear that the rescission period only referred to the original offer, which you declined in favor of The Sampler package. We are truly sorry for any misunderstanding in this regard. If you are willing to give us a second chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations. We sincerely appreciate your business with us and wish you the best on all your future travels.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Wonderful city center location adjacent to shops, eateries, and art of Tlaquepaque. Good food at their "Stake & Sticks" restaurant, especially their signature Volcano dessert. Interesting history tour of the beautiful grounds, documented in signs and a brochure. many sculptures and fountains. An old stone guest house looks inviting for a family gathering. Huge pool and 30-person hot tub project was near-completed as we departed. Units will be refurbished, but right now on the positive side the beds are new and comfortable and the kitchen is well furnished. As to the negatives, the sofa was painfully uncomfortable for sitting (not tried for sleep), low resolution cable TV service does not have guides, and the maids who serviced our unit 166 prior to our arrival should have noticed and reported markedly reduced flow of water in the bath sink & almost completely plugged tub drain. Plumbers were prompt and efficient in their repairs. We will return!!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Vernelle
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was there with the family and overall we had a very good time. The location is excellent, right across from an artists village, and about a mile from Sedona's town center. We enjoyed the park (in the back) with the mega chess set, the mini-golf, the activities, the game room, the tennis courts, etc. Great work-out room and nice spa.

The need improvement issues in order of importance to us:
-no Wi-Fi in the room - they must do something about it!
-the sleeper sofa mattress (my teens slept on) was really uncomfortable, so the kids took turns sleeping with us on our king size bed.
-the main pool is being re-paved, and the smaller pool was not that inviting. We would have like an outdoors Jacuzzi for example.

5  Thank Max102938
Reviewed August 19, 2013

There is no wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby. The pool was in a state of disrepair that makes me wonder whether it will ever be completed. And finally, they have the audacity to add on a "resort fee" for, you guessed it, wifi and use of the pool that added over 20% to the room charge. The rooms are dated, dirty, dingy and dark. The facility is staffed by individuals that could care less about your experience.

Room Tip: Pick another property
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank Thomas M
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

We are equally disappointed to read that you were displeased with your stay here with is. We assure you that our resort is undergoing a refurbishment, however we are only able to work on one area at the time to minimise the disturbance. As for the Wi-Fi large resort’s guests require a 24/7 internet access which necessitates a larger bandwidth than, for example, a coffee shop and this regretfully comes at a cost. Most businesses can incorporate this into their pricing and so appear to provide a free service, but in reality it is not. In order to do the same within a timeshare resort, each HOA Board must approve the cost of providing this service. The Boards, at this time, believe that each individual should pay those costs if and when they use the service. Please be advised that we do not profit from the fees related to Wi-Fi as these are charged by a 3rd party internet provider. That being said, receive a lot of feedback in regard to Wi-Fi costs, and are in discussion with our Homeowner’s Association to see if this can be covered for guests in the future. We do regret that you were disappointed and would be grateful should you decide to contact us directly so that we could discuss your experience in detail. In the meantime, however, we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

First off I want to say that we are owners at this resort.. The grounds are gorgeous consisting of apple trees, flowers and oak creek running along the edge of the property.. It is also connected to Talapaque which is an unique shopping / dining venue. We have also been very happy with our stays here in the past.

This trip was the first time we came with our kids and my parents. Check inn was a breeze and the front desk person was very friendly and helpful.. We got to our 2 bedroom suite and were blown away.. It was something that we have never seen or even knew existed on property.. It was that BAD.. The room had this horrible stench, just felt dirty (even though we knew it was clean) had a fake couch (was not real , some cushions put on top of a base) and this was supposed to be the bed for our young children?? OMG immediately I went to the front desk and was put in another room.. It was double the size and the type of room we always have stayed in the past. He had security help us move all our luggage and we were very happy and kinda surprised that we were given the first room.. SO the next morning I proceed to the front desk just to find out who I needed to talk to about some things (why we were placed in that first room, I made my reservations a yr in advance ect) Once again the front desk person (different from yesterday) was friendly and smiling.. She brought out the manager.. That is where things went downhill.. I was pretty much told that I got scammed from ILX and that room was something that I could get, but also could get the nice rooms also we were told that the next day we were going to once again have to be moved to another room as someone else had reserved this particular place and kept telling me I needed to go talk to the diamond sales people.. There was nothing she could do , good chance we would be put in that crap hole again.. I was shocked, I held back tears. We travelled across the country with a 3 yr old and a 6 yr old & my parents and was no way going to stay in those accommodations for our trip.. SO immediately got online and booked a stay at the Junnipine Resort on Oak Creek (please see my review for this place also) So after staying 3 days here we packed up again and stayed there for the last 4 days.. Just up and left, since we were told a new family was moving in on Friday.. On the last day of our stay in Sedona we ate dinner at Talapaque and decided to drive by our room.. Well low and behold no one moved in.. It apparently was all a lie.. It was left the exact same way when we left our key still worked ect.....

So here is my view, I am concerned about this place and was really kinda surprised of all the negative review I was reading on trip advisor as we have stayed here plenty in the past and loved it.. The pool was supposed to be complete in April/ May.. It was August and no where near completion.. Also on Diamond website it goes on and on about all the rennovations being made and will be complete in early 2014. NO WAY!! Even the room we got put into, it was really nice and big,, it was still very worn, the tile was cracked and scraped all over the place, the walls had dings and marks,, the master bath had low pressure and you had to bang the faucet the get hot water ..( I was told this was a renovated room) , add that all to the fiasco of the original room and the manager telling me we had to move... just made this a horrible experience. That 1st room was worse that any motel 6 or any rundown hotel you would see in a movie.. That bad.... This is such a beautiful property and amazing location and everyone we encountered who worked there (with exception to the manager which) was very friendly and helpful. I really hope they get their act together and get this renovated especially if there are more rooms like the one we got put into at the beginning (#180). I honestly don't know if we will ever go back and stay here again.. We will most likely pay the $ and join interval so we can exchange..

10  Thank sydrox
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

We are sorry to read that your stay was not what you have grown accustomed to while being a Diamond owner. We assure you that delivering excellent care and standard of accommodation each and every time is of top priority to us. In reading your complaint, it is obvious that you and your family should not have been assigned this unit. For this we sincerely apologize. We will investigate why your unit was not properly ventilated of any odors with our housekeeping staff to ensure that this situation does not happen again. Starting in 2012, and continuing into 2013, we are in the process of an extensive refurbishment project where we are looking at replacing furniture and other appliances in the rooms, amongst other projects around the resort including renovations to our Pomerada saltwater pool and pool deck which we are pleased to say will be completed this month. While we do accept requests to be assigned a refurbished or “updated” unit, we cannot guarantee that they will be fulfilled at check in due to availability being limited with both existing members owning there and the number of members wants to visit. We hope that this stay will not mar your opinion on our resort, nor deter you from considering us for your future bookings. We do appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My grandparents own a timeshare and wanted to take me and my family there for my birthday. They had never been to this particular resort and needless to say we were sorely disappointed. The room was clean, but the decor and mattresses where horrible. The furniture was extremely worn and dated, the mattress in the 2nd bedroom was lopsided and the carpet in the bedrooms was very old, worn and stained. It was such a shame as the location of course is amazing, the grounds have some desirable features but the rooms were really bad. What makes it worse is that there is a Diamond Resort channel on the cable and it is the CEO waxing poetic about how nice all the Diamond Resorts are and as you are sitting on old furniture in a dingy room you cannot help but be even more disappointed! The CEO talks about how he wants to be the best, I would suggest renovating ASAP. As it just adds insult to injury to sit and watch him talk.

If the place doesn't get updated soon, I am certain the place will not stay open. I feel bad that my grandparents were equally disappointed. My grandfather is 90 and deserves what he paid for!

5  Thank pmilligan
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

First and foremost, we want to apologize for the quality of your room. We know that no one wishes to have their vacation tarnished by accommodations that are less than expected. As Los Abrigados has changed property management rather recently, our team is still in process of determining and making necessary changes, including within the rooms. Although some changes have already been made, we want to ensure all of our rooms are up to the standard that all of our guests expect and deserve.

Our Chairman and Founder is adamant about service and room quality, and we can assure you that Los Abrigados has the same expectations.

We appreciate your sharing your experience, and we hope that you’ll come back in the future to see the improvements that we’ve made.