“Proceed with caution......”

Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Wilmington, NC
“Proceed with caution......”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

First off I want to say that we are owners at this resort.. The grounds are gorgeous consisting of apple trees, flowers and oak creek running along the edge of the property.. It is also connected to Talapaque which is an unique shopping / dining venue. We have also been very happy with our stays here in the past.

This trip was the first time we came with our kids and my parents. Check inn was a breeze and the front desk person was very friendly and helpful.. We got to our 2 bedroom suite and were blown away.. It was something that we have never seen or even knew existed on property.. It was that BAD.. The room had this horrible stench, just felt dirty (even though we knew it was clean) had a fake couch (was not real , some cushions put on top of a base) and this was supposed to be the bed for our young children?? OMG immediately I went to the front desk and was put in another room.. It was double the size and the type of room we always have stayed in the past. He had security help us move all our luggage and we were very happy and kinda surprised that we were given the first room.. SO the next morning I proceed to the front desk just to find out who I needed to talk to about some things (why we were placed in that first room, I made my reservations a yr in advance ect) Once again the front desk person (different from yesterday) was friendly and smiling.. She brought out the manager.. That is where things went downhill.. I was pretty much told that I got scammed from ILX and that room was something that I could get, but also could get the nice rooms also we were told that the next day we were going to once again have to be moved to another room as someone else had reserved this particular place and kept telling me I needed to go talk to the diamond sales people.. There was nothing she could do , good chance we would be put in that crap hole again.. I was shocked, I held back tears. We travelled across the country with a 3 yr old and a 6 yr old & my parents and was no way going to stay in those accommodations for our trip.. SO immediately got online and booked a stay at the Junnipine Resort on Oak Creek (please see my review for this place also) So after staying 3 days here we packed up again and stayed there for the last 4 days.. Just up and left, since we were told a new family was moving in on Friday.. On the last day of our stay in Sedona we ate dinner at Talapaque and decided to drive by our room.. Well low and behold no one moved in.. It apparently was all a lie.. It was left the exact same way when we left our key still worked ect.....

So here is my view, I am concerned about this place and was really kinda surprised of all the negative review I was reading on trip advisor as we have stayed here plenty in the past and loved it.. The pool was supposed to be complete in April/ May.. It was August and no where near completion.. Also on Diamond website it goes on and on about all the rennovations being made and will be complete in early 2014. NO WAY!! Even the room we got put into, it was really nice and big,, it was still very worn, the tile was cracked and scraped all over the place, the walls had dings and marks,, the master bath had low pressure and you had to bang the faucet the get hot water ..( I was told this was a renovated room) , add that all to the fiasco of the original room and the manager telling me we had to move... just made this a horrible experience. That 1st room was worse that any motel 6 or any rundown hotel you would see in a movie.. That bad.... This is such a beautiful property and amazing location and everyone we encountered who worked there (with exception to the manager which) was very friendly and helpful. I really hope they get their act together and get this renovated especially if there are more rooms like the one we got put into at the beginning (#180). I honestly don't know if we will ever go back and stay here again.. We will most likely pay the $ and join interval so we can exchange..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank sydrox
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
We are sorry to read that your stay was not what you have grown accustomed to while being a Diamond owner. We assure you that delivering excellent care and standard of accommodation each and every time is of top priority to us. In reading your complaint, it is obvious that you and your family should not have been assigned this unit. For this we sincerely apologize. We will investigate why your unit was not properly ventilated of any odors with our housekeeping staff to ensure that this situation does not happen again. Starting in 2012, and continuing into 2013, we are in the process of an extensive refurbishment project where we are looking at replacing furniture and other appliances in the rooms, amongst other projects around the resort including renovations to our Pomerada saltwater pool and pool deck which we are pleased to say will be completed this month. While we do accept requests to be assigned a refurbished or “updated” unit, we cannot guarantee that they will be fulfilled at check in due to availability being limited with both existing members owning there and the number of members wants to visit. We hope that this stay will not mar your opinion on our resort, nor deter you from considering us for your future bookings. We do appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Richmond
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My grandparents own a timeshare and wanted to take me and my family there for my birthday. They had never been to this particular resort and needless to say we were sorely disappointed. The room was clean, but the decor and mattresses where horrible. The furniture was extremely worn and dated, the mattress in the 2nd bedroom was lopsided and the carpet in the bedrooms was very old, worn and stained. It was such a shame as the location of course is amazing, the grounds have some desirable features but the rooms were really bad. What makes it worse is that there is a Diamond Resort channel on the cable and it is the CEO waxing poetic about how nice all the Diamond Resorts are and as you are sitting on old furniture in a dingy room you cannot help but be even more disappointed! The CEO talks about how he wants to be the best, I would suggest renovating ASAP. As it just adds insult to injury to sit and watch him talk.

If the place doesn't get updated soon, I am certain the place will not stay open. I feel bad that my grandparents were equally disappointed. My grandfather is 90 and deserves what he paid for!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank pmilligan
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
First and foremost, we want to apologize for the quality of your room. We know that no one wishes to have their vacation tarnished by accommodations that are less than expected. As Los Abrigados has changed property management rather recently, our team is still in process of determining and making necessary changes, including within the rooms. Although some changes have already been made, we want to ensure all of our rooms are up to the standard that all of our guests expect and deserve.

Our Chairman and Founder is adamant about service and room quality, and we can assure you that Los Abrigados has the same expectations.

We appreciate your sharing your experience, and we hope that you’ll come back in the future to see the improvements that we’ve made.

Travelers are raving about these Sedona hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed at Los Abrigados for 9 days July15-24, 2013. Resort has some activities in Sedona "spirit" that make stay memorable. To appreciate Los Abrigados requires more than a 1-2 night stay. Guests need to get into the rhythmn of "living there". Lynn, Tai Chi instructor, gears class to absolute first time beginners but also makes it very rigorous. A great first time immersion that I highly recommend. Classes are held twice weekly in a wooded, grass grove along Oak Creek.
There are some evening programs that are unique, such as a concert/presentation by Native American flutist. Gifted, accomplished artist who encouraged lots of audience questions and input. Approx. 20 attended and most all voiced how they had a greater understanding and enjoyment/appreciation of Native sounds.
Kids/teens enjoy checking out equipment and games. My daughter said she enjoyed spa the most with exercise equipment, steam room and also just having very nice ground and lobby areas to walk and lounge around on. I noted that the resort is very "teen friendly" -- youth lounge in lobby with their laptops and Ipads or hang out around pool and mini-golf and enjoy themselves. The on-site Steak and Sticks restaurant has good burgers and delivers to your room. The menu could use a bit more variety or daily specials.

The wifi is a problem, but seems to be a Sedona wide problem. . . A few shops we were in had internet down days. . . my verizon worked only intermiettently, etc.

Yes, only the children's pool is operable, but it is fairly large and has 6 ft. depth. . . To correct another reviewer, the new pool/jacuzzi is being worked on. I spoke to the workers a few times. About 5-6 guys per day are doing plumbing/electrical and other technical tasks. But, I doubt if the pool would be ready before middle September.

The spa and fitness center have great equipment and some classes. More classes on how to use the equipment would be helpful.
Note that the resort is located right by the intersection of Hwy 179 and Hwy 89-- very convenient. But it is nestled off the road and very private. Also next to the well known Tlacapaque Market. (Note: there is a Farmer's Market weekly)

We had one bedroom apt. near children's pool that had full complement of kitchen appliances and utensils as is standard with Diamond. This little extra is very helpful for that "stay at home" experience.

Room Tip: I felt nicer to have condo apt. rather than stay in room in main hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank varyamom
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing a detailed review of your recent stay here at Los Abrigados Resort. We were thrilled to read that you and your family had a great time here and that you were able to participate in some of the activities and classes that we provide. Our main pool, the Pomerada saltwater pool and pool deck, is currently under renovation; however, we do anticipate this project to be completed by August 31st, pending unforeseen circumstances occurring. Your tips and suggestions are very detailed and helpful for our future guests. We are in the process of upgrading our Wi-Fi services so that the connectivity and lagging issues that our guests have experienced will no longer be an issue. It is our hope to have this project completed by the end of the year. We will definitely look into your suggestion of providing additional classes on how to use the fitness center equipment. Keep in mind, that one of our staff members are always happy to provide assistance and tips on how to use our fitness center equipment when requested. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated! We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the near future.
Arizona
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We've lived in the area for 40 years. Sedona is like our second home. We love staying in many places, and have honestly avoided Los Abrigados because of the reviews we've seen over the last 10 years.

So, when we got married in T'laquepaque, we booked 4 rooms at Los Abrigados. We were on high, high alert upon arrival to make sure there were no complications... and they're weren't!

Lovely rooms with kitchens and balconies. Even the studio was decorated very nice. Great location and quiet. They do have parking issues. Not sure why, but we had trouble finding a parking spot by our room. This allowed us to see the grounds in their entirety. Very nice resort. This is Sedona's first resort, so it's old. But it's pretty well kept. I wouldn't refrain from staying there again and again. The front desk lady knows us by name now when we return, and is always pleasant.

Unbeatable grounds with the park, mini-golf, creek, etc... It's seriously awesome! This is one of the top wedding spots in the southwest for photography...so it really doesn't get more romantic.

My only suggestion to management would be this: just have the staff be a little more proactive. Empower them to do nice things for guests when the situation calls for it. This helped make our stay even better, and put us at ease.

We enjoyed Los Abrigados and will not hesitate to stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChatWithMatt
We’re really glad that you decided to stay at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, and that your experiences here exceeded your expectations! We hold our staff to an extremely high standard of service, and we’re sorry if you were disappointed in this regard. We hope this didn’t spoil an otherwise enjoyable stay, and we’re delighted that you’d like to return here – we look forward to seeing you again!
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The resort grounds are very nice, I was surprised that this resort has an activity center. If you have young children this resort in Sedona is a good choice. You can check out board games and movies for free. My son loved being able to play mini golf every day, the course is nice! There is also a creek that the resort backs up to, very peaceful grounds. The location in Sedona is pretty good. The rooms are very out dated, but it was fine for a condo, not up to hotel standards. The grounds were wonderful though! Oak creek brewery next door to the hotel was pretty good, but The hotel restaurant actually had really good food, I would recommend eating there. The hotel restaurant will deliver to the pool or your room. We skipped the sales pitch, no thanks, there was no high pressure to do it though which was nice to not have to deal with the pressure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Amber C
Thank you for your review! We’re sorry to read your concerns about the accommodation at Los Abrigados – the resort is currently undergoing a rolling program of refurbishment, which will bring all the accommodation up to the standard you have every right to expect from a Diamond Resorts property. We trust that this didn’t spoil an otherwise enjoyable vacation, and we hope you’ll choose to come back here for another visit – we’d love to see you again!
Manteca, California
Reviewed July 20, 2013

DONT GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS SCAM (or at least it seems that way) TIMESHARE HELL!

We rolled into town looking for a Visitors Center and came upon a building statement Visitor Information Center (I believe it said). Went inside to find out it was a Diamond Resort Timeshare Sales Building. We were only there for the day and was just about to book a place with airbnb when they offered us a great 1 bdrm room with a fireplace at a 5 star resort for the 1.5 hr presentation. I have been on many presentations and by far, this was the worst i had been on in years. We got out of there over 2 hrs later and I had to become an angry old lady to get the point across that we don't want it and we need to leave as today is the only day we would be in Sedona. They sent us to another resort for the room which was Los Abrigados. When we got there, guess what, no fireplace room. Blame the salesman again. I have been in the car business for over 30 years and I have heard all the broken promises and was not surprised by this. After we held out and did not accept this information, which took time, finally a manager, Carol came out saying she didn't realize we were there for one day only and they have a room.

When we went to the room thinking we were going to be happy, it was horrible. It was depressing dark and dungeon like. I hated it. I felt awful because our day was so wasted because of this timeshare garbage. We should have stayed in the airbnb which we had loved doing to that point and been traveling around seeing the sights instead. My husband and I went back to the office and said we do not care if it has a fireplace, get us in something else. We first had to wait a while for them to help the one party ahead of us. The really nice maintenance man took us to show us the other room and it was so much better. But then found out the a/c was broken after we got the room and it was very hot out as well as inside. I had asked earlier if the room had a view and was told it did not. It actually had a partial view of the mountains. I liked that. Then we tried to use the internet. Nothing. We could only use it if we went to the office area. The main pool and spa were under renovation so only the kids pool was available which we did not use.

It was dark now and we missed seeing the mountains and had to leave early in the morning. We just saw those that we saw driving into Sedona and on our way to the timeshare and the this place. During the night at 4 am , the alarm went off. We thought we had turned it off but later it went off again. My husband had to turn the lights on and get up and try to get it out of the wall which is through a hold in the bed headboard unit. He had already had a bad night sleep for whatever reason so he was upset. By the way, the AC was fixed by the time we got back from dinner.

We checked out of our room by phone and were about to leave when i said i wanted to use the restroom. So we stopped. When I came out, my husband had mentioned that maybe instead of working on things like the pool because there is another one to use, the people are really into their wifi nowadays and maybe they should put that as a priority over the pool. Just a thought. When i came back to them talking, he told the gal behind the desk that maybe the maids can just make sure the alarm clocks are set to off. I couldn't believe her comment to this " THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH AND WE DON'T SPEAK SPANISH". I must have stupid written on my forehead. This is not everything from this overnight stay but I had told him, don't bother saying anything because they really don't care about their guests. So to this remark, I said....I told you they DON'T CARE!

I decided to check trip advisor when I got back and read that someone went through a very simular situation that I did. She also mentioned that they ended up CHARGING HER CARD for the room. They ask for your card as a deposit for things you may use that they charge for. They put a $100 hold on it and we were told that the hold was reversed. So i looked and there was the charge for $122.00. My husband spent a considerable amount time getting passed around and not knowing anyone we talked to. Going over the story several times to be told someone will call back and nothing. I think said enough of this and contacted American Express to dispute the charge. I already lost my visit to Sedona......don't waste any more of my time. This trip we stayed at 3 airbnbs that were awesome and this horrible place. My timeshares are SOOOO much better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Gerilou
We are truly and sincerely sorry that your stay here at Los Abrigados Resort did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality and offer quality accommodations at an affordable price to each guest that stays with us. It was very concerning to read that the length of your sales presentation, issues with your room and Wi-Fi, as well as a payment issue, had a negative impact towards your stay. Sales presentation tours generally last 90 minutes if the attendee does not show any interest in purchasing a vacation ownership package. However, if the attendee does show interest or has additional questions about the package, then the length of the tour may be extended briefly to account for answering these questions. We have recently undergone a change in management. Since Diamond Resorts took over Resort Management, we have made significant improvement to our rooms and lobby area. Nevertheless, we do realize that some of our rooms are still in need of an update. Just this past year, we were able to make the following improvements to most of our units: Upgraded mattresses, bed linens and towels, small in-room appliances coffeemakers, toasters, blenders) and dinnerware, glassware, flatware, and house wares. New Flat-screen TVs were also installed to replace the older models, and air conditioning units, as well as, large appliances are being replaced as necessary. We anticipate the remaining rooms will have these same improvement s put in place shortly. It is very regrettable to hear that you were assigned a room that did not seem to have many of these improvements. Projects ongoing this year include: installation of wireless internet equipment, two new BBQ stations, and new Blue Ray DVD players. The behavior you describe of our front desk agent is not typical of the type of Customer Service we wish to provide for our guests. This will be handled internally with the agent in question to make sure this type of behavior is not repeated. Our Wi-Fi service, given the location of the routers on the roof tops, sometimes causes intermittent reception and a poor signal. Typically, guests are able to connect and note that the speed is slower than they would like. That being said, we are in the process of converting to a faster system this year to improve this service for our guests. While we cannot comment on the situation of another guest without further details, we can say that the deposit for incidentals is only done as a hold on our end. The only reason why this hold would be changed to a charged fee is if the guest in question has done damage or stolen items from their room. In your situation, the charge of $122.88 was refunded back to your credit card on July 23rd 2013. The reservation was originally setup incorrectly, and for this we sincerely apologize. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations. We sincerely wish you the best on all your future travels.
None, Italy
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My spouse and I stayed here the week of July 13 - July 20, 2013. One reason we booked is because back in December, the resort web site stated that the main pool would be completed by June, 2013. Some time after we booked for July, the resort site was changed to say August 31, 2013. We were disappointed. I am writing to let the everyone know that the pool is still a major construction site, it is nowhere near complete, and there is no active construction. There is absolutely no way the pool will be complete by August 31, 2013. Honestly, it looks like the pool will take at least another year to complete and that assumes that someone actually starts working on it. I believe the resort is being outright dishonest and engaging in false advertising by stating the pool will be complete by August 31. If the manager would like to respond to my review, please explain why your resort web site states the pool will be complete by August 31 when it is blatantly obvious this is a false statement.

Otherwise, the resort does have many positives. The weight room and fitness area is awesome. Lots of equipment, looks relatively new, and few people using it. The kiddie pool is workable. It has not been crowded or noisy. The laundry facility is adequate and the machines work fine. The mini golf area and tennis courts are nice. Your not going to play Wimbledon tennis on the courts, but if you just want to have fun and hit the ball around they are great. Nobody called our room asking us to attend a sales pitch, which was nice after reading the other reviews. However, stay away from the "tourist centers" around Sedona. They are tourist traps and the people working the booths constantly try to sell crappy jeep tours at discounted prices. I politely listened to his entire pitch and then said "no thank you" every time. The restaurants in West Sedona (not Uptown) are quite good. The resort is very quiet and peaceful. We stayed on the second floor in an older unit. The outdoor balcony was great. The interior is in desperate need of updating. We have a red couch and chair that most college fraternities would have thrown out long ago. But the fridge, shower, dishwasher, etc. all work as expected and we have no issues with water pressure or anything like that. The inside of the unit did have a few insects when we arrived, but keep in mind that the resort backs up to mother nature and when the evening sets in, the bugs and insects come out and can easily come through the front or balcony door when you open them.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple