“The CEO Stephen Cloobeck should Undercover Boss this resort”

Los Abrigados Resort and Spa
Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed July 20, 2013

DONT GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS SCAM (or at least it seems that way) TIMESHARE HELL!

We rolled into town looking for a Visitors Center and came upon a building statement Visitor Information Center (I believe it said). Went inside to find out it was a Diamond Resort Timeshare Sales Building. We were only there for the day and was just about to book a place with airbnb when they offered us a great 1 bdrm room with a fireplace at a 5 star resort for the 1.5 hr presentation. I have been on many presentations and by far, this was the worst i had been on in years. We got out of there over 2 hrs later and I had to become an angry old lady to get the point across that we don't want it and we need to leave as today is the only day we would be in Sedona. They sent us to another resort for the room which was Los Abrigados. When we got there, guess what, no fireplace room. Blame the salesman again. I have been in the car business for over 30 years and I have heard all the broken promises and was not surprised by this. After we held out and did not accept this information, which took time, finally a manager, Carol came out saying she didn't realize we were there for one day only and they have a room.

When we went to the room thinking we were going to be happy, it was horrible. It was depressing dark and dungeon like. I hated it. I felt awful because our day was so wasted because of this timeshare garbage. We should have stayed in the airbnb which we had loved doing to that point and been traveling around seeing the sights instead. My husband and I went back to the office and said we do not care if it has a fireplace, get us in something else. We first had to wait a while for them to help the one party ahead of us. The really nice maintenance man took us to show us the other room and it was so much better. But then found out the a/c was broken after we got the room and it was very hot out as well as inside. I had asked earlier if the room had a view and was told it did not. It actually had a partial view of the mountains. I liked that. Then we tried to use the internet. Nothing. We could only use it if we went to the office area. The main pool and spa were under renovation so only the kids pool was available which we did not use.

It was dark now and we missed seeing the mountains and had to leave early in the morning. We just saw those that we saw driving into Sedona and on our way to the timeshare and the this place. During the night at 4 am , the alarm went off. We thought we had turned it off but later it went off again. My husband had to turn the lights on and get up and try to get it out of the wall which is through a hold in the bed headboard unit. He had already had a bad night sleep for whatever reason so he was upset. By the way, the AC was fixed by the time we got back from dinner.

We checked out of our room by phone and were about to leave when i said i wanted to use the restroom. So we stopped. When I came out, my husband had mentioned that maybe instead of working on things like the pool because there is another one to use, the people are really into their wifi nowadays and maybe they should put that as a priority over the pool. Just a thought. When i came back to them talking, he told the gal behind the desk that maybe the maids can just make sure the alarm clocks are set to off. I couldn't believe her comment to this " THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH AND WE DON'T SPEAK SPANISH". I must have stupid written on my forehead. This is not everything from this overnight stay but I had told him, don't bother saying anything because they really don't care about their guests. So to this remark, I said....I told you they DON'T CARE!

I decided to check trip advisor when I got back and read that someone went through a very simular situation that I did. She also mentioned that they ended up CHARGING HER CARD for the room. They ask for your card as a deposit for things you may use that they charge for. They put a $100 hold on it and we were told that the hold was reversed. So i looked and there was the charge for $122.00. My husband spent a considerable amount time getting passed around and not knowing anyone we talked to. Going over the story several times to be told someone will call back and nothing. I think said enough of this and contacted American Express to dispute the charge. I already lost my visit to Sedona......don't waste any more of my time. This trip we stayed at 3 airbnbs that were awesome and this horrible place. My timeshares are SOOOO much better.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Gerilou
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

We are truly and sincerely sorry that your stay here at Los Abrigados Resort did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality and offer quality accommodations at an affordable price to each guest that stays with us. It was very concerning to read that the length of your sales presentation, issues with your room and Wi-Fi, as well as a payment issue, had a negative impact towards your stay. Sales presentation tours generally last 90 minutes if the attendee does not show any interest in purchasing a vacation ownership package. However, if the attendee does show interest or has additional questions about the package, then the length of the tour may be extended briefly to account for answering these questions. We have recently undergone a change in management. Since Diamond Resorts took over Resort Management, we have made significant improvement to our rooms and lobby area. Nevertheless, we do realize that some of our rooms are still in need of an update. Just this past year, we were able to make the following improvements to most of our units: Upgraded mattresses, bed linens and towels, small in-room appliances coffeemakers, toasters, blenders) and dinnerware, glassware, flatware, and house wares. New Flat-screen TVs were also installed to replace the older models, and air conditioning units, as well as, large appliances are being replaced as necessary. We anticipate the remaining rooms will have these same improvement s put in place shortly. It is very regrettable to hear that you were assigned a room that did not seem to have many of these improvements. Projects ongoing this year include: installation of wireless internet equipment, two new BBQ stations, and new Blue Ray DVD players. The behavior you describe of our front desk agent is not typical of the type of Customer Service we wish to provide for our guests. This will be handled internally with the agent in question to make sure this type of behavior is not repeated. Our Wi-Fi service, given the location of the routers on the roof tops, sometimes causes intermittent reception and a poor signal. Typically, guests are able to connect and note that the speed is slower than they would like. That being said, we are in the process of converting to a faster system this year to improve this service for our guests. While we cannot comment on the situation of another guest without further details, we can say that the deposit for incidentals is only done as a hold on our end. The only reason why this hold would be changed to a charged fee is if the guest in question has done damage or stolen items from their room. In your situation, the charge of $122.88 was refunded back to your credit card on July 23rd 2013. The reservation was originally setup incorrectly, and for this we sincerely apologize. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations. We sincerely wish you the best on all your future travels.

There are newer reviews for Los Abrigados Resort and Spa

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My spouse and I stayed here the week of July 13 - July 20, 2013. One reason we booked is because back in December, the resort web site stated that the main pool would be completed by June, 2013. Some time after we booked for July, the resort site was changed to say August 31, 2013. We were disappointed. I am writing to let the everyone know that the pool is still a major construction site, it is nowhere near complete, and there is no active construction. There is absolutely no way the pool will be complete by August 31, 2013. Honestly, it looks like the pool will take at least another year to complete and that assumes that someone actually starts working on it. I believe the resort is being outright dishonest and engaging in false advertising by stating the pool will be complete by August 31. If the manager would like to respond to my review, please explain why your resort web site states the pool will be complete by August 31 when it is blatantly obvious this is a false statement.

Otherwise, the resort does have many positives. The weight room and fitness area is awesome. Lots of equipment, looks relatively new, and few people using it. The kiddie pool is workable. It has not been crowded or noisy. The laundry facility is adequate and the machines work fine. The mini golf area and tennis courts are nice. Your not going to play Wimbledon tennis on the courts, but if you just want to have fun and hit the ball around they are great. Nobody called our room asking us to attend a sales pitch, which was nice after reading the other reviews. However, stay away from the "tourist centers" around Sedona. They are tourist traps and the people working the booths constantly try to sell crappy jeep tours at discounted prices. I politely listened to his entire pitch and then said "no thank you" every time. The restaurants in West Sedona (not Uptown) are quite good. The resort is very quiet and peaceful. We stayed on the second floor in an older unit. The outdoor balcony was great. The interior is in desperate need of updating. We have a red couch and chair that most college fraternities would have thrown out long ago. But the fridge, shower, dishwasher, etc. all work as expected and we have no issues with water pressure or anything like that. The inside of the unit did have a few insects when we arrived, but keep in mind that the resort backs up to mother nature and when the evening sets in, the bugs and insects come out and can easily come through the front or balcony door when you open them.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank brian7129
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The reason we chose to stay at this hotel was because it was listed as "kid friendly!" The rooms were nice but the main pool was STILL under construction. It looked as though it had been that way for months. There was a smaller pool available but it was just that. SMALL. The staff said there was a pool available at their sister resort. That was a drive that didn't make sense since we wanted to swim where we were staying. I wouldn't recommend this resort if you are looking to spend family time there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
4  Thank Leann B
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

We are truly and sincerely sorry that your stay here at Los Abrigados did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality and offer quality accommodations at an affordable price to each guest that stays with us. It was very concerning to read that our nightly costs and pool closure had a negative impact towards your stay. When scheduled pool maintenance takes place, we try to provide advanced notice to our 3rd party rental partners and advise this on our website, so that our guests are aware of this before their arrival. While our main pool is being worked on, we do have a second pool on-site that all guests can use and enjoy. Our main pool should be finished by mid-August; however, we advise you check with us directly for up to date information. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable. We sincerely appreciate your business with us and wish you the best on all your future travels.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Watch out for the extra $15+ daily amenty fee. Pool is under construction, parking is limited, front desk is not fully staffed you might have to wait, done count on get wirless internt service in your room you might need to always go to the lobby. Concierge staff keep trying to push a timeshare sale ptich. MOst of the staff is freindly and very helpful. With many years of timeshare trading experience this was one our poorest trade I have made. Resort is in need of maintenance and furnishing updates. Days Inn was a beter choice for me at the end of my stay in Sedona

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Gary S
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you did not find your accommodations to be well suited for your travels and that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Please be aware that we are in the midst of a significant refurbishment project here that will be improving the overall look and conditions of our rooms, grounds, and facilities. The AT&T Wi-Fi internet is managed and operated by a 3rd party vendor. The resort does not collect payments for this fee and makes no revenue off of these fees. Given the location of the routers on the roof tops intermittent reception and a poor signal may sometimes be experienced. Typically, guests are able to connect and note that the speed is slower than they would like. That being said, we are looking at options for a conversion to a faster system to improve this service for our guests. We are also looking into acquiring additional parking for our guests, as we do realize that, for our guests who arrive after normal business hours, there may a shortage of parking spaces available. In cases like this, our friendly front desk staff will make sure you receive a parking spot. The resort fee we charge is posted on our website in advance and includes internet access, fitness center access, parking, and local calls.
We are truly sorry that your experience here did not go well. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and exceed your expectations. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I cut my stay short due to the disgusting condition of the room. Dead insects, soiled furniture, heavy cloying smell. Staff was not helpful nor sympathetic. Time share pitches were relentless and high pressure. I was pressured at check in and then called and harassed by phone both days I stayed there. Guess they need the high pressure to try to sell a dump like this. When I complained at check out the office manager was unsympathetic and tried to make it my fault by not giving them a chance to "make things right". The only thing that will fix this place is a change in management and staff. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Stephen B

First and foremost, we apologize that your room quality did not meet your expectations or, in turn, ours. Our team members are always willing to correct room concerns to ensure that they are at the appropriate standard. We are unsure how our team was unhelpful, but we can assure you that this type of team member complaint is a rare occurrence and will be reported to the Front Office Manager for coaching and review.

While we do offer our guests the opportunity to learn more about our product, our presentations are certainly not mandatory to non-promotional stays. Excessive calling is not an approved practice, and we will ensure that this is investigated.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, as it is pertinent to developing the guest experience.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We Chose Los Abrigados because it could hold our big family and we thought it would be a peaceful experience along with some fun for the kids. The rooms we stayed in were the Morris house along with two one bedroom suites. At check in unfortunately we knew more about the resort then the staff on hand at the time. couldn't even tells us the hours some stuff or where we park or if we had assigned parking or even if they knew about breakfast for the next morning. As a family we travel a lot, probably 10-15 weeks a year and usually have experiences that are delightful and always good to talk about for many years. For some reason this stay for us at the los abrigados was just not there on any level of comfort or relaxing and I cant remember the last time we had to wait so long to get some simple services or even get someone to pick up the office phone. The Morris house we stayed in was at first very nice looking when we walked in and seemed to be the perfect set up. Lets just say there was no sleep in this house because the outside Lights shined through the door all night long and could not be turned off or blocked out, The windows also took in the bright lights and our kids could not sleep. So I tried to go out side to see if I could turn the bulbs off, but they had some lock on them, The lights are like spot lights. I even tried to cover the front door with a blanket and it shined through it. I called the from desk around 11pm and no answer, so I tried to put a blanket up and this worked for a little bit, till it fell down an hour later. Our patio with our BBQ was a total accident waiting to happen. The wood bench on the patio had a nail sticking out of it that I almost sat on which would have not been good. The BBQ was filthy and being it was on our patio we thought it was our BBQ to use. Come to find out while we were gone walking around someone used it while we were out and about and left there condiments and also some of there burned meat on our BBQ. The beds were not so bad, but we couldn't sleep anyway because of the lights. One of the biggest issues we came across was no water in the rooms or the water pressure to take a shower felt like someone was dripping water on you. We had 14 people on our trip and everyone had water pressure issues and no joke, it took 2 hours in 3 different rooms to get everyone a shower. I almost took a video of it because it was so bad and we almost checked out of the resort because of it. We had a nice bath, but couldn't even fill it up to use because the water trickled out so slow. It would have taken the whole day to fill up.

We really wanted to make this place a staple in our traveling agenda each year, and maybe we came at the wrong time, but expecting we had 3 rooms and 14 people on the trip and everyone had the same or similar experience, its hard to want to come back and try and not get any sleep along with also not having a normal pool to swim in. Beautiful location, just lack of amenities and service. Maybe down the road we will try it again, but its up in the air.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank trianalife

Please accept our sincere apology for your unpleasant stay here. We strive to ensure our guests experience the best visits possible during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. We take every complaint seriously, and have begun taking the appropriate steps to correct the issues described by you. As our guest’s safety is top priority at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa we have carefully installed outdoor flood lighting around the resort buildings. Outdoor flood lights help illuminate areas that otherwise go dark when the sun goes down and add a certain level of security to the surrounding areas. We sincerely apologize if the area of illumination from these lights interfered with the rest and relaxation that you expected to receive during your stay. We do have low flow water systems which are being replaced on an ongoing basis. While the low water flow is meant to conserve, extended use does eliminate the purpose of them. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Continuing the effort to improve resort quality, we are also in the process of adding new BBQ stations. No other guest should have been able to access the fenced in backyard of the Morris House to use the BBQ station of your unit. When notified, our front desk and security staff would be more than happy to investigate and address any issues of disturbance or inappropriate behaviors. While we want all our guests to enjoy their stay, we do not want them to do so at the expense of other guests. We hope that you would be willing to give us another chance to make a better impression on you in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were visiting Sedona on our 13th anniversary & didn't make advance reservations after seeing many properties in the area had rooms available for the Monday night stay we had planned.
We chose Los Abrigados Resort and Spa for its great location and the Diamond International reputation.
Without boring you with all the details – we will simply say this:
- Our reservation made through Visitsedona.com was unreliable & ended up being more of a headache than what it was worth. We had initially walked in but the desk agent told us to book on line for a better deal (who doesn’t want a good deal?) Bad idea…
- After being directed to the concierge for our “VIP packet” she didn’t appear to have time for us. While we patiently stood back as she helped another guest – she rudely asked if we had a quick question. We told her we didn’t that the front desk agent had recommended we talk to her while we waited & she proceeded to say we needed to “come back another time” because she was busy.
- Front desk agent directed us to our room & then informed us there wouldn’t be parking any where near it. He was correct - there was not. A maintenance man helped us find parking (in the Fire Zone)
- There were hairs all over the shower & urine at the base of the toilet
- Otherwise the room looked great, the bed was comfy (and yes we thoroughly checked it for cleanliness). It appears the housekeeper missed the toilet/shower room because the sink area was clean also.
- Overall while the property is being worked on it looks nice.
The only thing we truly were unimpressed with was the service. Not quite the Diamond Resorts’ YES service we’d expected.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room where you will be able to park close vs. within hiking distance...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank lovinlife72

We are truly and sincerely sorry that your stay here at Los Abrigados Resort did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality and offer quality accommodations at an affordable price to each guest that stays with us. It was very concerning to us to read that the service provided to you by our Concierge team member did not meet your or our expectations. This level of service is not typical of the level of customer service we provide to our guests. We will make sure to bring up this experience is brought up to our Concierge staff for proper training and coaching. In addition, we will also relay your concerns to our housekeeping staff in regard to the shower and toilet in your unit’s bathroom not being properly cleaned before your arrival. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable. We sincerely appreciate your business with us and wish you the best on all your future travels.