“Disappointing resort”

Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Eagle River, Alaska, United States
“Disappointing resort”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Watch out for the extra $15+ daily amenty fee. Pool is under construction, parking is limited, front desk is not fully staffed you might have to wait, done count on get wirless internt service in your room you might need to always go to the lobby. Concierge staff keep trying to push a timeshare sale ptich. MOst of the staff is freindly and very helpful. With many years of timeshare trading experience this was one our poorest trade I have made. Resort is in need of maintenance and furnishing updates. Days Inn was a beter choice for me at the end of my stay in Sedona

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Gary S
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you did not find your accommodations to be well suited for your travels and that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Please be aware that we are in the midst of a significant refurbishment project here that will be improving the overall look and conditions of our rooms, grounds, and facilities. The AT&T Wi-Fi internet is managed and operated by a 3rd party vendor. The resort does not collect payments for this fee and makes no revenue off of these fees. Given the location of the routers on the roof tops intermittent reception and a poor signal may sometimes be experienced. Typically, guests are able to connect and note that the speed is slower than they would like. That being said, we are looking at options for a conversion to a faster system to improve this service for our guests. We are also looking into acquiring additional parking for our guests, as we do realize that, for our guests who arrive after normal business hours, there may a shortage of parking spaces available. In cases like this, our friendly front desk staff will make sure you receive a parking spot. The resort fee we charge is posted on our website in advance and includes internet access, fitness center access, parking, and local calls.
We are truly sorry that your experience here did not go well. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and exceed your expectations. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I cut my stay short due to the disgusting condition of the room. Dead insects, soiled furniture, heavy cloying smell. Staff was not helpful nor sympathetic. Time share pitches were relentless and high pressure. I was pressured at check in and then called and harassed by phone both days I stayed there. Guess they need the high pressure to try to sell a dump like this. When I complained at check out the office manager was unsympathetic and tried to make it my fault by not giving them a chance to "make things right". The only thing that will fix this place is a change in management and staff. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Stephen41248
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
First and foremost, we apologize that your room quality did not meet your expectations or, in turn, ours. Our team members are always willing to correct room concerns to ensure that they are at the appropriate standard. We are unsure how our team was unhelpful, but we can assure you that this type of team member complaint is a rare occurrence and will be reported to the Front Office Manager for coaching and review.

While we do offer our guests the opportunity to learn more about our product, our presentations are certainly not mandatory to non-promotional stays. Excessive calling is not an approved practice, and we will ensure that this is investigated.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, as it is pertinent to developing the guest experience.

Travelers are raving about these Sedona hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We Chose Los Abrigados because it could hold our big family and we thought it would be a peaceful experience along with some fun for the kids. The rooms we stayed in were the Morris house along with two one bedroom suites. At check in unfortunately we knew more about the resort then the staff on hand at the time. couldn't even tells us the hours some stuff or where we park or if we had assigned parking or even if they knew about breakfast for the next morning. As a family we travel a lot, probably 10-15 weeks a year and usually have experiences that are delightful and always good to talk about for many years. For some reason this stay for us at the los abrigados was just not there on any level of comfort or relaxing and I cant remember the last time we had to wait so long to get some simple services or even get someone to pick up the office phone. The Morris house we stayed in was at first very nice looking when we walked in and seemed to be the perfect set up. Lets just say there was no sleep in this house because the outside Lights shined through the door all night long and could not be turned off or blocked out, The windows also took in the bright lights and our kids could not sleep. So I tried to go out side to see if I could turn the bulbs off, but they had some lock on them, The lights are like spot lights. I even tried to cover the front door with a blanket and it shined through it. I called the from desk around 11pm and no answer, so I tried to put a blanket up and this worked for a little bit, till it fell down an hour later. Our patio with our BBQ was a total accident waiting to happen. The wood bench on the patio had a nail sticking out of it that I almost sat on which would have not been good. The BBQ was filthy and being it was on our patio we thought it was our BBQ to use. Come to find out while we were gone walking around someone used it while we were out and about and left there condiments and also some of there burned meat on our BBQ. The beds were not so bad, but we couldn't sleep anyway because of the lights. One of the biggest issues we came across was no water in the rooms or the water pressure to take a shower felt like someone was dripping water on you. We had 14 people on our trip and everyone had water pressure issues and no joke, it took 2 hours in 3 different rooms to get everyone a shower. I almost took a video of it because it was so bad and we almost checked out of the resort because of it. We had a nice bath, but couldn't even fill it up to use because the water trickled out so slow. It would have taken the whole day to fill up.

We really wanted to make this place a staple in our traveling agenda each year, and maybe we came at the wrong time, but expecting we had 3 rooms and 14 people on the trip and everyone had the same or similar experience, its hard to want to come back and try and not get any sleep along with also not having a normal pool to swim in. Beautiful location, just lack of amenities and service. Maybe down the road we will try it again, but its up in the air.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank trianalife
Please accept our sincere apology for your unpleasant stay here. We strive to ensure our guests experience the best visits possible during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. We take every complaint seriously, and have begun taking the appropriate steps to correct the issues described by you. As our guest’s safety is top priority at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa we have carefully installed outdoor flood lighting around the resort buildings. Outdoor flood lights help illuminate areas that otherwise go dark when the sun goes down and add a certain level of security to the surrounding areas. We sincerely apologize if the area of illumination from these lights interfered with the rest and relaxation that you expected to receive during your stay. We do have low flow water systems which are being replaced on an ongoing basis. While the low water flow is meant to conserve, extended use does eliminate the purpose of them. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Continuing the effort to improve resort quality, we are also in the process of adding new BBQ stations. No other guest should have been able to access the fenced in backyard of the Morris House to use the BBQ station of your unit. When notified, our front desk and security staff would be more than happy to investigate and address any issues of disturbance or inappropriate behaviors. While we want all our guests to enjoy their stay, we do not want them to do so at the expense of other guests. We hope that you would be willing to give us another chance to make a better impression on you in the future.
Phoenix
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were visiting Sedona on our 13th anniversary & didn't make advance reservations after seeing many properties in the area had rooms available for the Monday night stay we had planned.
We chose Los Abrigados Resort and Spa for its great location and the Diamond International reputation.
Without boring you with all the details – we will simply say this:
- Our reservation made through Visitsedona.com was unreliable & ended up being more of a headache than what it was worth. We had initially walked in but the desk agent told us to book on line for a better deal (who doesn’t want a good deal?) Bad idea…
- After being directed to the concierge for our “VIP packet” she didn’t appear to have time for us. While we patiently stood back as she helped another guest – she rudely asked if we had a quick question. We told her we didn’t that the front desk agent had recommended we talk to her while we waited & she proceeded to say we needed to “come back another time” because she was busy.
- Front desk agent directed us to our room & then informed us there wouldn’t be parking any where near it. He was correct - there was not. A maintenance man helped us find parking (in the Fire Zone)
- There were hairs all over the shower & urine at the base of the toilet
- Otherwise the room looked great, the bed was comfy (and yes we thoroughly checked it for cleanliness). It appears the housekeeper missed the toilet/shower room because the sink area was clean also.
- Overall while the property is being worked on it looks nice.
The only thing we truly were unimpressed with was the service. Not quite the Diamond Resorts’ YES service we’d expected.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room where you will be able to park close vs. within hiking distance...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lovinlife72
We are truly and sincerely sorry that your stay here at Los Abrigados Resort did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality and offer quality accommodations at an affordable price to each guest that stays with us. It was very concerning to us to read that the service provided to you by our Concierge team member did not meet your or our expectations. This level of service is not typical of the level of customer service we provide to our guests. We will make sure to bring up this experience is brought up to our Concierge staff for proper training and coaching. In addition, we will also relay your concerns to our housekeeping staff in regard to the shower and toilet in your unit’s bathroom not being properly cleaned before your arrival. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable. We sincerely appreciate your business with us and wish you the best on all your future travels.
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed 6 nights at Los Abrigados through Diamond Resorts and experienced Sedona to the fullest extent. I had originally booked a more well-known chain hotel and wasn't happy with it's location...I switched to Los Abrigados at last minute and never looked back. The room was large and comfortable. They are minutes from everything you want to see, and the front desk service is friendly. I've seen a lot of people complain about the lack of amenities...but I didn't stay in the hotel room much, so I never noticed it if there were any. I was there at a time when there weren't many other guests...so the environment was pretty surreal. The only complaint I can make was that room service was not spectacular, but it wasn't negligent either. The next time I go to Sedona, I don't plan on staying anywhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mark R
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had read mixed reviews about the resort. I'm going to try and give my best, honest, unbiased opinion.

We stayed in a One Bedroom. Not deluxe or anything like that, just a simple one bedroom. Usually we get a 2 bedroom, but figured we'd give the 1 bedroom a shot. We have a family of 5 - 2 adults, 3 kids (ages 8, 6, 5). The kids were able to share a bed.

Initially, we were assigned room 208. This room was not optimal. I guess it would be for guests that want total seclusion. There was no view except for someone's house, dirt and maybe some bushes/trees. This room was also quite a way's away from the kids' pool, tennis courts, golf, playground, etc.

I called not long after opening the door to the room and asked for a different room, specifically one closer to kid-friendly stuff. The staff was accommodating. They found us another room immediately (room 287). The room is immediately across from the tennis courts on the 2nd floor in building T. This made it relatively easy to access the family friendly areas as everything was in walking distance.

The room has no oven. It does have a 2-burner stove top and a pretty advanced/large toaster oven. The refrigerator/freezer is small, but adequate. There is no cabinet space for any items you are bringing. We left most of our stuff on the end tables where the lamps are so it's out of the way. The dishwasher is also small, but adequate.

I recommend a 2nd floor room for privacy on the balcony. Some of the rooms on the first floor have private balconies, but most did not. I know a lot of people complained about construction. The main/adult pool is being renovated right now. I don't know when it's scheduled to reopen. So the only accessible pool is the kids' pool. But again, we had kids so this was fine with us.

Some of the sidewalks are inaccessible due to construction and the crew appears to be off on weekends (if you're just looking for a weekend trip where there will be no noise). Again, a lot of people complain about the construction issues. However, I think this is a good sign. Diamond has recently acquired this property. The fact that they are doing major overhauls shows that they are taking an active approach to make it a resort that meets the Diamond standard.

This resort is in the best possible location. It is literally at Tlaquepaque (I think I spelled that correctly). Everything is walking distance (I recommend a car to travel to uptown or getting taking a cheap cab ride).

I do concur that the interior of the resort is a little outdated. Not bad though. Again, they're currently going through renovations, so I can't really fault Diamond for that just yet. Everything was operational and it wasn't like anything was falling apart. The beds are comfortable and the pull-out sofa bed was memory foam. So Diamond is taking an approach in the right direction.

I had one late night to myself at the bar at Steaks and Sticks. Don't use their website to find out operating hours. They do advertise hours, but appear to close early. However, after walking around, I saw that they were open. The staff has some leniency as to when they close after published business hours. It wasn't that busy and last call ended up being about 1:20am.

Apparently they recently hired a new bar manager (Mike). Mike was there observing the nightlife and acquiring some intel. If his proposals go through, look for some major improvements on the restaurant/bar environment and nightlife. The staff of the restaurant is amazing. Really top notch. The prices are reasonable but they made us feel like we were VIPs. So, kudos to the staff and whatever training they've received about customer service.

Same thing with the Los Abrigados staff itself. Everyone was super nice and courteous. I truly felt the meaning of "yes". There is an Ihome radio, so bring some apple products with you for easy connectivity.

TV's are flat screens and they offer a decent array of channels. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention. The Steaks and Sticks restaurant offers free room service. They should really market this more as I had no idea. Staying at the resort, I was also able to just charge our meal to the room. I guess it has to come out sometime, but it was nice to put it on the room.

There is a $15/day resort fee. This fee is nominal for what you get. It's right on the creek, so if you want to take your poles and let your kids go fishing, that's available. Don't expect any bites, just something fun for the kids. For that $15, you also get daily use of the mini-golf, giant chess/checkers set, bocce, playground, pool, etc. They also have fun daily activities.

That's about all I could think of for now. If anything else pops up, I'll update my review. It's very enjoyable here for ALL.

Room Tip: I recommend anything in building T or U if you are bringing kids. Our room was 287 and it was idea...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brandon E
Cary, NC
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

My family of 5 stayed here for 5 nights thru my Diamond Resorts exchange. I choose this resort over the other Diamond resorts in Sedona due to its great location. We were able to walk to restaurants every night. The family really liked the Stakes and Sticks sports pub right on the resort. Only disappointment was the size of the Beds, we expected 2 queens and we got 2 full size which did not work for 2 adults and 2 teens. We were able to get a rollaway bed though.

We also enjoyed the putt putt golf, lawn chess and other activities available.

We don't rely on wifi too much but it was surprising that there was none but apparently it will be added soon.

Lastly, the rooms are definitely outdated but I don't like to spend much time in the room at a great family vacation spot like Sedona.

• Stayed June 2013