“Very good if you get the right room”

Los Abrigados Resort and Spa
Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This depends what you pay and the room you get. Booked a 'deluxe room with spa' - I assumed hot tub and used those words when talking to them re booking. Spa turned out to be an old dirty large bathtub on overlooked patio area and deluxe room was dark, old, tired etc. BUT the front desk staff were very helpful when we insisted on a change and got a 2nd floor (top floor) renovated bright 1 bed with private deck and red rock view (at the same price which totalled $198 per night with all the taxes and 'resort' fees). We went to yoga or other similar fitness class each day which were excellent and small with just a few other local people. Did not use the locker rooms so cannot comment on their cleanness but yoga room was clean. Got free DVDs etc. Pools seemed well heated for the winter weather. Great location for walks, hikes, etc. WiFi did not work.
So talk to them before booking and make sure you get a renovated 2nd floor room with view!

Room Tip: make sure you get a renovated 2nd floor room with view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank georanger
There are newer reviews for Los Abrigados Resort and Spa

Reviewed December 27, 2012

As Diamond Resort members, we were looking forward to a few days getaway to relax and use the spa facilities at the Los Abrigados Resort & Spa. What a big mistake it was to choose Los Abrigados. Today, there was feeces (poop) on the floor in the men's locker room. The steam room worked sporadically, and the jacuzzi blew out cold water. I notified the two women at the front desk and the one woman with the accent responded, "That it was for the night crew to clean up". Wow, I couldn't believe my ears.

The rooms are dated, but functional. But, the walls are paper thin. Staying in a bottom floor room, it sounds like a heard of rhinos running around above us. On the flip side, the bedding is clean and comfortible. I'm ready to cut our vacation short and go back to work. We would have received better accomodations at a Motel 6 or Super 8.

Room Tip: Choose another resort. Any resort other than Los Abrigados Resort.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Nick E
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Los Abrigados with us.

The situation you described above was considered a bio-hazard and the floor was cleaned and disinfected as soon as our team was notified of the issue. We are appalled that anyone would suggest that something of this nature would not be cleaned up immediately, and we can assure you that our Spa does not operate in this negligent manner.

We have recently replaced the heater in the men’s Jacuzzi as it was malfunctioning. While we regret if this occurred during your visit, we can assure you that it has been replaced.

It is truly unfortunate that you didn’t enjoy your experience at Los Abrigados. We hope that you’ll give us a second chance and come back in the future for what we are confident will be a better experience.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Yes, somewhat dated, but close to town. Great launching pad to Flagstaff and other local attractions, loved the Xmas lighting ceremony, great room. We stayed t the Inn at Los Abrigados. Loved everything about this place. Great gym, great spa and pool and hot tubs. Will come here again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rmaehl
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the resort as members of RCI. Here's my synopsis:

The good: room size, service, pool/jacuzzi area, spa, wireless in pool area, central location to hiking/food/shopping, very nice/large Lcd Tv, new small appliances/dishes, etc

The not so good: wireless connectivity in the room, 1970's furniture/decor in room, shaggy couch in living room

The yucky: guest laundry building was a pit

• Stayed: December 2012
10  Thank tamara B
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Los Abrigados is a beautiful property ideally located in the heart of Sedona. Built to look like a Spanish village, Los Abrigados sits in a verdant valley along Oak Creek with soaring red rock views. When you are on the property you feel you are a world away from the hustle and bustle. Onsite amenities include a full service spa, workout facility, two pools, restaurants, miniature golf, salon, and peaceful park along the creek. The grounds are impeccably maintained and mature. Beautiful Tlaquepaque Mall is located adjacent to the property within easy walking distance offering shopping, additional restaurants, and specialty boutiques.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank NevaWP
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

We really appreciate the detailed and very informative review you provided in regard to your most recent stay here. It is our hope that you were able to experience all of the amenities and services you mentioned in your review. Thank you for taking the time in providing this review and the informative tips for our future guests. We look forward to being able to accommodate you again soon!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Funny thing was that the night before we checked in (a week exchange via RCI) I happened to read recent reviews on the property which were very uncomplimentary. I can only say that this was not my experience at all and we were very happy with our week. If it was my oversight or RCI (likely mine) I neglected to request a first floor room due to my 84 year old mother with us. When I arrived to the building after friendly, fast check-in, my wife suggested I call and request a first floor room. After the negative reviews I expected to be laughed at or told to "kick rocks," but the front desk was very friendly and said to hold on and they would call back. Sure enough, within 3 minutes a call came saying they had no 1st floor but they did have another 2nd floor with less steps. They sent maintenance in a golf cart within another 5 minutes to drive me to check the new room out. I was then driven to the front desk to change keys and re-driven to my car to move to the new building. The first night my 3 year-old kept rolling out of bed so before bed on night 2, I called to ask for a playpen. I was told that they would deliver but housekeeping was a little busy-- 10 minutes later it arrived! Everyone we delt with was extremely kind and helpful--not one negative issue with any staff. The primary activities staff we delt with were Richard and Tony who were always friendly to me and also to my 12 year-old son who spent a lot of time in the Xbox room. Richard offered compliments to me regarding my son behaving and even gave him some pie when I wasn't there--and me when I showed up! There were DVDs to lend (as well as books, games, mini golf, basketballs, etc.) The grounds were always clean (workers blowing leaves daily...always busy). They were updating all of the outdoor grills to stainless propane "infrared" ones. Though no in-room laundry--there were 2 laundry rooms (free) with a good amount of quality washer/dryers...and a wide screen TV in the laundry room! When I rate a hotel/resort the "value" aspect weighs. In all regards I was extremely satisfied with the entire week and hope to return for a week next year.

Room Tip: Be aware that there are no elevators...request a 1st floor if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank azjoe35
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for sharing your review of your stay here at Los Abrigados. Our staff is always eager and ready to assist our guests and provide exceptional customer service. We were very delighted to hear that this was the case for you and your family, and that our accommodations, and services met, if not exceeded your expectations. Richard and Tony will be pleased to hear the kind words you had for them in regard to their service. Your recommendation is really important to us, and we really appreciate the tips you have provided for our future guests. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

We have a lasting impression of the vacation we took in June of 2011. I love that there was a guard at the entrance. Driving towards the entrance the fountain and the landscaping was a welcome sight. All the people behind the counter where efficient and accommodating. I love the magnolia tree in fragrant bloom as we climb the steps to our unit. Since I own a cleaning business I know what to look for and found everything very clean. The pools where clean and the grounds where taken care of very well. I love the park like setting by the rivers edge. Just walking distance was gift shops and all my hearts desire for shopping while my husband could relax in our unit. We came to enjoy the vortex spots and mountain biking to each vortex during that week. It is one of my best active vacations and a resort that is one of the best in the 30 years that I have been trading. That is why I am rating this resort at this late date.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple