“Heaven on earth”

Enchantment Resort
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
“Heaven on earth”
Reviewed July 14, 2006

This place is truly paradise. You can stay in rooms at Enchantment Resort or in rooms right at Mii Amo Spa. Either way you can get a Spa Package to include treatments and all the classes, meditations, and other services offered by Mii Amo. Since I live in Phoenix, I go here, usually staying at the Spa rather than on the Enchantment side, at least once every year. I know there are other places in Sedona I could go, and I've been to most of them over the years, but nowhere in Sedona even comes close to comparing to this place.

A 3 night stay, with 2 90 minute and 4 60 minute treatments is usually about $2,000, and worth it. That price includes everything, including all meals, treatments, and a variety of classes (yoga/pilates/cooking/tea tasting/meditation/nature hikes/mountain biking/cultural music/stargazing, etc.). The views from all the rooms at the spa are incredible and the food at Mii Amo Cafe is light, healthy and balanced.

The number of treatment choices is incredible and the quality of the service providers is unmatched in my opinion. They have a health bar where you can get smoothies, wheat grass, etc. and everything from there is always top notch. The service is always excellent from everyone from the front desk, bell guys, spa attendant, etc. They value you as a customer and treat you with respect you would deserve as a customer in an elite resort.

The spa itself is huge and between activities, you can hang out there, inside or outside the locker rooms, read a book, take a swim in a choice of pools, sit in a choice of spas, shop in the gift shop full of cool stuff, or meditate in a special room designed for meditation. There are many hikes you can take, and I always run a couple of miles every day around the resort.

I have stayed there 10 or so times and can't see myself going anywhere else in the near future. And, I'm all about change and variety in life, but I can't not go here, I love it so much. I haven't had any bad experiences at this place (except one annoying bell guy that wouldn't leave my room even though I already tipped him, but I got over that pretty quick).

It's truly heaven on earth and when I leave I feel totally refreshed, relaxed, and looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 10, 2006

Do you remember the scene in "Contact" when Jody Foster has travelled the worm hole and weeps the following words: "It's so beeeeautiful"? Well, I did that. I have travelled a great deal, but the red rock vista and vortex (didn't know anything about vortexes before my journey here and no, I'm not a new agey kind of gal) struck me deep in the heart chakra upon arrival. The treatments, particularly the hot stone and the watsu, helped balance this stressed out woman with too much "yang". I recommend staying for seven nights if you've never been here. I came by myself in need of solitude and pampering, but I also met some amazing people, some of whom I have kept in touch. We are all going to return again same time next year. My only criticism: housekeeping has some kinks to work out, particularly with room service trays sitting outside all day. I had read that before I went and thought "how petty" but seriously, when you pay this kind of money, it just shouldn't happen.

The staff at Mii Amo obviously like their job. This is part of the spa's success, I believe. I hope that some of the same people will be there when I return. This will say a lot about the spa's future success.

The experience can be life-changing if you're open to it. Lots of surprises here!

Devon Valderas

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2006

This resort looks pretty, but everywhere looks pretty in Sedona. I have, unfortunately, stayed twice now thinking my second experience would be better and it was worse. Be prepared to hike to your room through a maze of poorly paved sidewalks. Also, be prepared to pay $350+ a night for a double size murphy bed, those beds that come out of the wall, and only one bed not two.

Let me take you through a typical day at Enchantment…

Morning -
You wake up to orange juice in an ice bucket with the morning paper at your door, which is nice. You are hot because the A/C unit is a inefficient and the hotel gives you a down comforter, there are no ceiling fans which are a necessity in AZ, and you are also sore from the lumpy bed a squishy uncomfortable pillows. The sheets are rough and scratchy as well as the towels, they don’t give you enough towels initially so you always need to ask for more. You get ready in the morning, of there are other people staying in the rooms next door you will run out of hot water so get ready for a less than luke-warm shower. Also, the ventilation in the bathrooms doesn’t work so when you do get hot water your room will be hot and humid for at least the next 16 hours or so. Then you leave your room for the day.

Afternoon –
After enjoying one of the many things to do in Sedona you come back to your room to rest and get ready for dinner. Housekeeping is supposed to come twice daily and one of two things will happen when you arrive back at your room; one, your room has been serviced and some items you cannot find at all and/or items and money are missing (which happened to me and my husband as well as the people next door to us), then you call the lobby to report it and the person answering the phone is annoyed you called and gives you a hard time. The rest of your day and part of the next day involves the resort Public Safety office investigating and interviewing, at the end you will likely get your items back. Or two, your room hasn’t been touched and it’s 5:30 in the afternoon. You’re ready to shower again, but the bathroom hasn’t been cleaned and you have no clean towels, if you use the same towel it’s still wet from your morning shower. If you have the “Do Not Disturb” sign on your door the housekeeping crews don’t pay attention to that and come in anyway.

Night –
Housekeeping may come around again, if they do they’ll bring by bottled water and a bucket of ice in addition to turning down your bed. After our things were stolen by housekeeping, which was confirmed by the head of resort public safety, the resort does continue to send the same maids to service your room. So you can continue to have your things stolen and misplaced, I couldn’t find my curling iron, make-up, toothpaste, ect. or not get your room serviced at all. I’m under the assumption that the resort does not do any pest control. At night, which is when the bugs and other critters come out, you will see spiders, rodents, giant ants, fire ants, ect. on your patio to your room and in your room. You will see somewhat large gecko lizards around the resort, those are good they eat the bugs and don’t bother humans at all. The bar at the resort closes at around 11pm, so don’t plan on getting a drink after dinner.

Things to keep in mind –
Cell phones do not work at the resort at all, it is at the bottom of a canyon and there is no service. The TV in your room will most likely not work if it’s cloudy since, again, it’s at the bottom of a canyon. The resort is hard to find even if you know Sedona somewhat well and because of it’s location at the bottom of a canyon the area is hotter than the rest of the town of Sedona. The resort overall is gimmicky and it’s location and services are more of a hassle than anything else. There are A LOT of expensive extras with your room and if a sign is missing and you use the amenity you will get charged for it regardless. This place has no problem nickel and diming you to death, except the nickels and dimes are an extra $10 here and extra $50 there. The food at the restaurant isn’t bad, but not great, it’s bland and foods that anyone can make at home.

There are so many good and GREAT resorts and hotels in Oak Creek and Sedona for much less per night that anything other than the Enchantment is a good decision.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
32 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Just returned from Sedona and wow!, what a place. Some of the most amzaing red rock formations I've ever seen, it's like a small Grand Canyon and Monument Valley mixed into one. The enchantment resort is nestled in Boynton Canyon about 10 minutes from the heart of town. It was simply one of the most amazing hotel properties I had ever seen. I am already planning a return visit in the fall once it cools down a bit. The spa is rated as the #2 in the world. I don't know if that is a current rating or if it dates back a number of years but it was very peacful and tranquil. And they don't allow non-hotel guests to use it which makes it even more exclusive. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and professional, from the guy at the front gate when we got there to the bellman who got our bags when we left. It was refreshing to see such great service. The hotel is situated on over 70 acres which means there is a lot of walking to get around. However, the hotel does have plenty of carts to get you around if you don't feel like walking too much. Our room was large and had a nice patio with breathtaking views. The problem is the hotel rooms are in need of a major renevation. I'm sure everything was state-of-the-art at one point, but it's beginning to show its age. The beds and linens were not especially comfortable. The air conditioning units for our room and the two other rooms in our 'casita' was right behind the wall of our bed. Since it gets over 100 degrees in the summer, the a/c units would run all night creating noise and vibration that was nearly intolerable. They definitely need to invest in modern, quieter units. The main pool area was small and full of noisy kids. There is a smaller adults only pool which was nice to lay out at. We ate at the more casual of the two restaurants and while the service was great, the food wasn't. I recommend doing research on the area and find out where the better restaurants are. The formal restaurant had some nice looking menu items, but based on the quality of the food at the casual spot I didn't feel like eating there.

In short, the setting is incredible, the service is fantastic, and the spa is first rate - 5-Stars for each. I would only give the hotel (rooms, restaurants, pool, etc) 3-Stars however until they bring it into the 21st century. For a Best Western it would be fine, but this place proudly bills itself as "One of the Leading Hotels of the World". All in all we had a wonderful time and would definitely return. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2006
13 Thank toddnath
USA
Reviewed June 29, 2006

I liked it. It was absolutely beautiful. There is nothing like waking up in the morning and peering out of the transom window and seeing the light strike off the beautiful red rocks. That gives this resort an up front 5 stars. The staff was very courteous and bent over backwards. The ammenities are top flight. Loved the jeep tours! If you want to relax, THIS IS THE PLACE.

The downside? THE MICE MUCKING ABOUT THE CEILING/VENTWORK AT ABOUT 3 AM. That sorta sucked. Also, the Murphy bed. I was not expecting a bed that flopped down... ala an "afterthought". And lastly (this comes with the territory, I guess...) the weirdos. This town (not the resort, per se) is a magnet. That alone knocked the rating down. ADVICE TO WORKERS AT ENCHANTMENT: Keep your wacky, new age "belief systems" to yourself. I won't try to "convert" you; you don't try to "convert" me, OK? I am WAY open minded, but get over it.

Stayed December 2005
24 Thank wettap
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 29, 2006

The resort was awesome in most areas - all, but the food services. The overall level of service from the check-in and bell staff to the maid services was superb. The best feature was simply the location and grounds. This place has it all - it you want peace and relaxation you can have it and if you are adventurous you have many activities to participate in. We recommend this resort highly and we will be back!

2 Thank SSteckel
New York
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We stayed at the Enchantment Resort from June 4 to 9 and had an incredible time. I think the location is the best in the area even though it's maybe a 10 minute drive from downtown Sedona. The staff and service was excellent, the restaurants were wonderful. The rooms were not luxurious but were decorated in more of a soft, southwestern decor which I preferred much more. Cellular phones don't work here although this could be a good thing. We spent each day at the Mi Amo spa which also had a fantastic restaurant and a gorgeous pool. I definitely plan on going back.

2 Thank Leo2002