“Draconian policies”
Review of Enchantment Resort

Enchantment Resort
Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed November 21, 2005

We had booked several nights at the Enchantment Resort, but had to cancel three days before our scheduled arrival because a close family member was killed in a surfing accident. We called the reservations department and explained the situation immediately upon learning of the tragedy, but were told that our $575 deposit would not be refunded, no matter what the circumstances. The hotel did say that we could use the deposit for a future stay within a year, but the entire experience left a very bad taste in our mouths. For a place supposedly concerned with wellness and positive "energy," the lack of sympathy in the face of tragedy was quite jarring.

23  Thank LAArtist
Write a ReviewReviews (2,758)

Reviewed November 7, 2005

Summary (in no particular order): Beautiful location, minimally trained staff with high turnover, worst-in-my-life room service, not enough availability of certain activities, spa offers wide range of treatments, unknowledgable and rude concierge, room poorly cleaned, great wine list.
I wanted to stay at Sedona's best. I will not return.

I stayed in a junior suite during the 1st week of November 2005 for 4 nights (at the price of 3). I flew into Phoenix, negotiated a deal for a convertible with Hertz at the terminal and drove 110 miles to the resort arriving 10pm.

My goal was to get away, hike, spa, eat and relax.

Pros :
1) Enchantment is in a great location. Boynton Canyon itself has a couple of very easy hikes. Its grounds are nicely kept.
2) friendly bell staff
3) spa restaurant lists nutrition facts on its menu.
4) 1800 phone calls appear to be free from room !
5) free high speed internet in room
6) the resort delivers free bottled water and oj daily.
7) Gym is clean and well equipped.
8) Spa offers wide range of treatments for men and women albeit at New York City prices. Its spacious and clean.

Cons :
1) some activities offered by the spa (and included in the mandatory $18/night resort fee) become fully booked very early. The 2 hour guided hike, offered 2-3 times a week is limited to only 5 guests. Same for the twice weekly mountain biking. I felt a bit cheated given that a fair number of 200+ rooms of guests want those 5 places, yet the resort fee isnt optional.
2) room service got every one of my 4 in room meals wrong from incorrect food, to incorrectly and undercooked food to no cutlery and condiments. Most of the food deliverers had limited or no experience in the service industry.
3) High turnover of staff with the majority of staff employed for under a year. A couple of them told me that Enchantment pays pretty poorly hence the high turnover. Note this should be taken in the context of Sedona having a reasonably transient population.
4) Room not very clean upon arrival (hair from previous guest on the bed and by lavatory). Daily cleaning moderate to superficial.
5) concierge rude and more importantly to me, unknowledgable. Unable to get on the resort's next 2 hikes I decided to organise a private hike. The spa and concierge between them knew of only one private guide.
6) Most of the staff have limited service industry experience. I know this isn't the Four Seasons but I found the staff, for the most part and with a few exceptions, numerous but lacking in basic training and skills. They were better in the spa than in the rest of the resort.

I'd Recommend :
1) Mary O in the spa for best-ever deep tissue massage.
2) avoiding the lame 730am powerwalk offered at the spa.
3) sign up well before you arrive for activities such as mountain biking or guided hiking.
4) depending upon the wireless carrier your cellphone might work at the location of the old gym - the only place i could find.
5)"Insiders guide to Sedona" is a good guide book should you require one.
6) Hike the canyons with an experienced guide instead of taking a jeep tour if you're remotely fit or inclined to go for a walk. You'll get to see so much more and the hiking in Sedona is surprisingly easy even if you only bring sneakers as I did. I hired the best guide i could find in Sedona, Dennis Andres, who took me on some fantastic but not strenuous hikes. Even got to see some thousand year old Indian ruins. He carries your water and snacks and has plenty of adventure stories. Cheaper but apparently decent guides include Ben Jayston and Bruce Orion.
7) Sign up for the excellent wine tasting. Mark Buzan, director of beverages at Enchantment, is a knowledgable sommelier who organises fun tastings.

Enchantment : Good location but otherwise quite disappointing at this price point. The resort appears to concentrate on its location rather than service. Its unable to keep the best staff.

• Stayed: November 2005
52  Thank M3Nav
Reviewed November 4, 2005

We stayed three nights earlier this week. The resort location is phenomonal, very remote, and the scenery is stunning. Ate dinner one night by the fireplace at Tii Gavo, very good food, the waitress was a little distracted by a few guys there to see her and seemed more interested in the costume party she was going to later that night, however after they left, she was very friendly and attentive.

The Yavapai was awesome, great food, excellent wine suggestion and we again ate outdoors with the view of the stars.

We opted for 1 Bedroom Hacienda room. It was very spacious, however, it hadn't been updated in quite sometime. We were a little weary when the bellman opened up our room for us and his first comments was "it's not the best view....". Everything was very adequate and we could have paid more to have a nicer view and nicer room, next time we'll know and it had no negative impact on our stay at all. For the age of the furnishings, knicks in the walls and blinds that wouldn't work $400 plus seemed a little steep.
The concierge was extremely friendly and helpful. The bellman and front desk staff were friendly as well.
Did some hiking right out of the resort, it was great!

Spent a day at the spa, we did a 90 minute couples massage and it was wonderful, very attentive and an excellent massage. The Mi Amo spa is a beautiful facility, our only complaint was the attitude of the two male desk clerks at the spa when we arrived for our appointment. Very arrogant young men, I'm sure they will either grow up or not be there long.
There are accomodations in the Mi Amo Spa, next time we might try that for it's proximity to the Spa itself.

Again , very beautiful resort, just be prepared to pay for it !

• Stayed: November 2005
12  Thank harrison38
Reviewed October 31, 2005

Arriving at the Enchantment resort in the afternoon, we were told by a fairly rude front desk to return in one hour to check into our room. After an hour, they told us to return two hours later. When we did return, our room was "ready" and they showed us to what had to be the worst room in the place--near the road, no view and next to the laundry dropoff facility for the entire hotel ( Our reservation was for a suite with a view). There was even a welcome package in the room with someone else's name on it!!
After another 90 minutes, the manager Chris basically told us tough luck.
This is the first time in our lives (and 40 years of international luxury travel) that we actually left a hotel and stayed somewhere else (Adobe Grand Villas- a luxury B&B that was fantastic).
The Enchantment resort is in a beautiful location. However, the resort is run poorly and no one should waste their money when there are so many other good places to stay in Sedona

• Stayed: October 2005
36  Thank BMK1
A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC
Reviewed October 25, 2005

I was very impressed with the staff's attention to detail! I was traveling to celebrate my mother's birthday with my sister and infant, we booked the promotional rate so I expected the service to not be terrific at our rate-but they treated us like Queens! I had requested a baby bed and made a note that it was my mother's birthday and we received a lovely note and fresh berries. The rooms are huge and walking along the grounds both day and night were amazing. The staff could not have been more pleasant and the food was amazing! Terrific hotel!!

• Stayed: September 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 22, 2005

I just got home from Enchantment and it was spectacular. I felt like I was dreaming. The nountains, the wildlife, the service, the ambiance and just everything was great. Took the jeep tour which was well worth it. Concierge was very informative and I liked the way Enchantment was secluded and not a tourist trap. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: October 2005
7  Thank blueyes_7
Reviewed October 18, 2005

I made reservations online a few weeks in advance for the Sunday Jazz Brunch at the Yavapai Restaurant. I requested 10:30a but the reservation came back for 12N and did not mention my 10:30a request. Because of this I called the resort about 9am Sunday morning to verify our reservation time. When I explained my request, which was only to make sure we showed up at the correct time, she was very rude and said they did not have any 10:30am times--funny I didn't ask that!

We were there at 11:40a and went to the desk to check in for our reservation. The receptionist was very unfriendly and said we could not check in early but to come back at 12N! We sat in their waiting area till 12N and went to the receptionist to check in. She acted as though this was the first time she had set eyes on us and rudely told us we would have to wait for 15 minutes because they did not have a seating for us. My shocked husband asked if they would find us and got a very rude "ok". After the 15 minute wait, my daughter went back to the receptionist to ask about our seating and got a blank stare and "can I help you?". After explaining once again we were waiting for our 12N reservation, they finally very coldly seated us. By this time my husband could barely eat and most of us wanted to leave but we stayed and the buffet was very good.

We had enjoyed evening meals at the Yavapai in the past with no problems but we have never been treated so rudely this time and have to agree with the others who have said their staff needs to be retrained.

Stayed: October 2005