“Great but not sure about the "Best Spa in the World" title”
Review of Enchantment Resort

Enchantment Resort
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed January 10, 2008

Went with my best friend for a Girls Spa Weekend. With an award from Travel + Leisure for being one of the best spas in the world, admittedly, our expectations were quite high. The rooms, service and treatments are great. The manicure & pedicure I received was awful and chipped away 2 days later. There is only one outdoor pool and it was a lot smaller than what a property of this size should have. The gym is quite small and although the equipment is very well cared for, it isn't anything better than what you'd have in an upscale apartment building or nice hotel. The hotel does earn extra points for the creative surprises that are left on your bed each evening (journals, leather luggage tags, etc.) And needless to say that the combination of the serene and gorgeous Sedona scenery and no children running around, made for a very relaxing weekend. But to say this is one of the top spas in the world, is a bit much.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aguardiente
Write a ReviewReviews (2,782)

Reviewed January 4, 2008

We got a last minute special that was quite reasonable, but would be willing to pay more in a future stay. From the minute we arrived at the gate until checkout, we were pampered. The beautiful location can't be beat-- just outside of Sedona in Boynton Canyon, away from the bustle of downtown Sedona, but only a 10 minute drive back into town. Some have complained about the resort fee, but everything, including bikes, tennis rackets, golf putters, the incredible spa, were included in the fee. The staff were all courteous and helpful. We had problems with the refrigerator in our unit and they immediately came to replace it and gave us a voucher for a free breakfast for the food that spoiled. The spa was among the best we have ever been to, beautiful setting and wonderful service (and except for massages was included in the resort fee).

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2008

Very uneven experience esp based on expectations.
- Lumpy bed that left one stiff and achy in the morning
- Had 2 treatments - 1 excellent, 1 so-so
- Old fashioned TV w. antiquated movie service
meaning you actually had to wait for "showtimes" of movie you
wanted to watch like in the 1980's.
- Staff: the help staff was superb while staff at the spa were
very so-so.
- Restaurant at Mii Amo: Truly superb, esp the head chef.
- The surroundings: Breath taking. The views and environment
of Boynton Canyon, Sedona were awe inspiring.
- Activities: Lots to do, excellent staff.
- Summary: We had a good time. It was a 3.5 star property sold
as a 5 star.

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank SunChicago
Reviewed January 1, 2008

After staying at Enchantment, I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Sedona! Of course the natural beauty surrounding the resort takes your breath away, however, our experience at the hotel was also excellent. From the time we arrived late on a chilly winter evening, when a staff person was waiting to escort us directly to our casita (instead of getting out of the warm car to go into the front desk) to the complimentary bottle of wine and chocolate dipped strawberries from the staff acknowledging my birthday, each interaction was warm and friendly. (In fact, the bell man who greeted us the first night saw us the next afternoon in the restaurant and came over to inquire about our stay.) The rooms were comfortable and well appointed (I appreciated the flashlight that's in each room for wandering around the resort after dark.) We also had appointments at Mii Amo--which earned it's well deserved reputation as the #1 spa in the world. It's certainly not inexpensive to stay here, but it was worth every cent for us.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ADM_TX
Reviewed November 19, 2007

This is a lovely property, no doubt about. However, a continuous series of minor annoyances made my wife & I feel it is not worth the extraordinary rates they charge (even before the “resort fee” is added on).

Calling for directions on our way in, I was put on hold for 15 minutes. When we arrived, we had to stand by while the front desk and bellman argued whether he had time to take us to our room. Later, an employee trying to deliver something to the wrong room awakened us from a siesta. So, we put out our “do not disturb sign”, which meant we got no turndown service.

The interiors are done up in a not unpleasant “Hilton Santa Fe” style, but the in-room coffee is ordinary, doors & windows are aluminum, the in-room internet didn’t work, and after dinner we stumbled back to our room in the dark due to burned out exterior light.

In short, our stay was not disaster, just not worth the money charged. I’d suggest getting a hotel in town, and coming out for a hike among the fabulous Boynton Canyon views.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mcbtraveler
Reviewed October 27, 2007

Well I have to say it is a good thing I got to experience this resort for business because there is no way I would have paid for it. It was great, but very expensive. I had two spa treatments and it was about $400. As for the junior suite I was in...The bathroom was HUGE almost as big as my suite.
I highly recommend hiking the trails in the canyon and going on the one the resort has on the activities menu...we went hiking everyday devil's bridge was breathtaking, really great hike. I recommend the cooking demonstration you get the recipies as well as some great food.
The only thing that really was a bummer was the fact that there was no cell reception in the canyon...you almost have to hike up and use it when hiking or drive into town.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank Erika M
Reviewed October 13, 2007

The main thing Enchantment has going for it is the amazing location. There are gorgeous red rock views in almost every direction you turn. Also, Mii Amo spa is absolutely fabulous. We always felt extremely at ease within Mii amo and enjoyed their cooking demos too. Mii amo is an excellent destination, the bad parts of this review apply only to Enchantment.
The food at Enchantment itself was a bit of a letdown. I guess they are trying to be healthy, but while that made sense at the spa, it makes less sense at the resort. Everything was undersalted and low on flavor. Breakfast was especially horrendous, everything seemed pre-made days before and reheated. The whipped cream was from a can and the maple syrup artificial. Cheap quality for high prices. We had much better food in town.
A major problem was that my husband developed a sudden allergy to fabric softener and got hives all over his side and shoulder. I contacted the front desk to request new sheets washed without fabric softener, and two days in a row they failed to adequately relay my request to housekeeping. Finally I realized I should just call housekeeping directly, and then a manager promptly understood and fulfilled my request. But I was very disappointed in the front desk's incompetence. On the second day of the trouble, I went in person to the front desk, and the woman seemed completely freaked out by my (politely and calmly delivered) complaint. She acted as if I was being very aggressive when I was very consciously being as low-key as possible, it was very strange and made me feel like it was my fault that we had this problem. All we needed was to be referred to a housekeeping manager! Very disappointing for such a supposedly high-class resort.
If I had to do it over again, I would buy some kind of Mii amo package to get that access, but stay at a much cheaper place in town.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple