“WORST experience renting an expensive room,and we travel A LOT”

Oak Creek Terrace Resort
Ranked #42 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed December 25, 2007

As an airline employee, I travel with my wife and kids a lot.We even owned a beach house on the Oregon Coast and operated it as a vacation rental for 4 years.The woman that checked us in to our $225 a night cabin was pleasant until we notified her that the heat was not working- and it had been running for 3 hours,since we had checked in.When we reported this issue she became rude, asking us if we knew how to operate a thermostadt.When she came down to the cabin and held her hand over an ice-cold air vent,she INSISTED there was no problem with the heat.When we disagreed,her exact words were"well what do you want me ME to do about it?"..Reply...fix it or refund our money.We were moved to a tiny room, and TOLD we were to go back to the cabin tomorrow when (if) the heat was fixed.(the next day was Christmas Eve)..The next morning when I called the owner I was told I was disrespectful to his worker. He threatened to not refund my money if I disrespected the dayshift worker.He did refund our full amount,including our stay in the tiny room-his attitude was I should be GRATEFUL for a free night! I have pics of the air return filter from when the maintenance man removed the air grill...it was plugged SOLID with about 1/2 inch of dust! This place is utterly gross. Having run a vacation rental,we know how important it is to accomodate your guests, and to at least be apologetic when there are issues with broken items.The owner of this property cares more about making money than disrupting Christmas plans by offering sub-par rentals. Merry Christmas, Oak Creek Terrace.

Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank boeingjetinspect

Reviewed October 23, 2007

After reading some prior reviews I too was afraid that I had made a mistake booking the rooms, but what a surprise this turned out to be. We booked a queen and a king room for two nights (friends came along) and yes they were small but very clean. There was no sitting area so we just sat outside our room on padded chairs or we sat on the veranda chatting over drinks. The grounds of this place are lovely. We decided to cook our own dinner at the grill provided near the koi pond. The boys went into town to shop for the necessities and the girls relaxed. There used to be a fireplace in this public area but due to high winds and fire danger they put a glassed in 42" Flat Screen and much to our delight we were able to catch the Red Sox game while we ate. The next night we again ate at the grill, Tank ran out of gas and the owner went to have it filled immediately. These folks were so very accomodating to us during our stay, very friendly .
We didn't try out the jacuzzi or use the fireplace. Friends used their fireplace and they found it quite romantic no smoke billowing anywhere. Bathroom was small but we made do.
Would I stay here again...a most resounding YES and for the price a definite value. We paid 234.00 with taxes for 2 nights. Everywhere else around Sedona/Oak Creek were twice as much. And you can't be the location.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Well first off, I want to mention that I booked our room before seeing any of these reviews. When I stumbled upon the site I suddenly became very nervous that I was in for a not so great experience, especially since one reviewer had just stayed there a week prior and had nothing but bad things to say. Well I'm happy to report that either the reviewer just had a bad weekend (can happen to anyone, anywhere) or she's just a snob because my experience was excellent. Ok, with that out of the way I will go into my little review.

I stayed in the two story room 16 which is the most expensive at $185 a night. It was pretty small and not to flashy but otherwise just fine. The downstairs featured a bathroom with a shower, a large jacuzzi and a small "kitchen" area that had a sink, mini fridge, coffee pot, microwave and an LCD TV. There is not stove of any kind but you do have a charcoal grill outside. The jacuzzi is a good size but the jets are pretty weak. It was still nice relaxing in it but expect more of a big hot bath type of experience than a bubble fest. In the corner there is a small spiral staircase that leads to the second floor. On the second floor there is a king bed, two night stands with lamps, two dressers, a couple of mirrors, 32" LCD TV with built in DVD player and a small bathroom. I emphasize SMALL bathroom, it's functional but I swear it was once a closet. I'm 6'4", 260lbs so other than brushing my teeth I didn't bother using that bathroom. There is also a private patio that extends off the second floor.

There isn't really any sitting areas within the room. There is a very small table and chair on the first floor but it's really more for decoration as it's too small for most any adult much less someone my size. So if you want to sit around inside, either relax on the bed upstairs or bring some folding chairs along with you. Now if you want to go outside and trust me you're going to want to, there is a table and four chairs on your first floor patio and two lounge chairs with a table in between on the second story patio. Speaking of the latter, I LOVED the second story patio. You have a great views, trees everywhere, cool colored little birds flying around and the constant sound of the rushing creek. Me and my girlfriend agreed the best part of our weekend was just relaxing out on the patio. We had dinner out there one night and breakfast the next morning. It's just such a great atmosphere and I swear you feel like you're getting an oxygen overdose with soooo much plant life around you. Definitely what I needed to recharge the batteries after being stuck in the city all summer.

Which brings me to the grounds...I won't go into it much because it's been stated several times over already but this place is gorgeous! I don't mean gorgeous in a overly manicured and manufactured resort type of way, I mean it's naturally gorgeous. There are trees, plants, flowers, bushes, grasses, vines, etc. everywhere. It's the kind of environment that only time and nature can produce. In one word, this place is 'lush'!

All in all I loved this place. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful (tipped us off to some excellent fruit salad from a little convenience store .5 mile down the way) and the grounds were amazing. The grounds are the selling point no doubt. Could you get a fancier room for the price elsewhere, probably but you are paying for location here and it definitely delivers! As someone alluded to earlier, if you want to be catered to, pampered or tend to lean towards being pretentious, this place is not for you. Your better off hitting one of the trendy "name" spa/resorts in town where you can compete with other guests for face time. :-P Ultimately I think the most important measure for success is would you stay there again and without hesitation I would say yes, yes I would stay there again!

Pros:
Second story private patio is perfect place to relax
Lush, lush, lush...this place is natures oxygen bar
Very friendly staff
Considering Sedona area, decent price
Relatively private access to Oak Creek

Cons:
Mattress left me with a stiff back
Jacuzzi jets are pretty weak
No usable table or chairs in room

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JTinAZ
Reviewed July 27, 2007

The grounds of this place are very pretty--they have chairs and hammocks down by the creek (just a short walk) for guests. We were glad because the room was so gross that we didn't want to be in there at all.
We rented one of the more expensive rooms with a fireplace and kitchen area. I left all of our dirty dishes there because the sponge was so old and crusty that I refused to touch it. We had to take the comforter off the bed and put it in a corner where we couldn't see it because it was so gross--there were big, visible stains on it.
There was an air conditoner unit in the main room except it could not be plugged in because of adapter issues. There were small holes in the drywall, many large marks on the walls, the couch had cigarette holes in it and it smelled funny...the list can go on.
As far as service, the lady that checked us in was nice. But when we went back to ask about the area, we were rudely told by a different lady that they did not offer those services. We just asked what her favorite restaurant was! The room did not have any info about the area either.
I would NEVER ever return to this place. I could understand this stuff if I paid for a really cheap room, but it was not cheap. It was an expensive, terrible experience!

• Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank susiephx
Reviewed April 4, 2007

I will always love this place. It has evreything for a romantic and fun getaway in a great package. My husband and I have been there for the last two years for valentines day. We stayed three days this last year we enjoy it so much. It is also dog friendly, our little mini pin loves it!! The only thing I didn't like was on Valentines there were many other couples staying there, so there was a little lack of hot water for the jacuzzi tubs. The place is a little old, but it adds to the charm. We will be returning for my Birthday for 4 days in July. We booked one on the bungalows this time and it will be perfect weather for grilling. I didn't realize how close they were to the creek. It's a quick walk away. There were hammocks, chairs, grills, and swings down there. The weather will be so wonderful for outside activity in July. It's my heaven, and only a quick two hour drive from Phoenix. I love this place!!!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2007

The room was reasonable in Sedona $95. The owner/manager was very attentive and anticipated a few things for me (like a bottle opener). the room was clean, nice and quiet- except for the teenagers having a party next door. I could hear the creek from my room. I would highly recommend, especially since so much in Sedona is overpriced.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank mmrDenver
Reviewed February 13, 2007

I want to start by saying if you need a nice fancy pampered room then this place is not for you. I was looking for a nice little cabin romantic getaway and that is exactly what i got.

From the moment I arrived i knew i was going to love it. The front office was a small little box that featured a nice front desk lady(Who gave excellent food reccomendations). The whole resort was small and old but i had a really cozy feeling as walked through the grounds. There are all of about 20 rooms on the property bunched into groups of 5, 3, and some which were single standing. We decided to walk around first to get a little excercise. I felt as if i were walking through a little village where i felt at home. There were chairs and decks everywhere to sit and relax. Right by our room was a little koi pond which was layed out nicely. The creek really is just a couple steps away from all the rooms. we relaxed by the creek on a nice little rocking love seat where i almost fell asleep.

Our room was nothing spectacular compared to modern fancy hotels but it had a fireplace and jaccuzi which were my main reasons for selecting this place. It did not have a desk and chairs but that was completly fine because you shouldnt be sitting indoors anyways with all the stuff there is to do and experience outside. The room also had a dvd player which we did use at the end of the night when we were winding down. At the end of the day we had relaxed in the hot tub, enjoyed the heat of the fireplace and fell asleep to a dvd. All in all my girlfriend and I had a nice romantic experience at a good old place.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple