“This Property Has Problems!”

Oak Creek Terrace Resort
Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Phoenix, Arizona
“This Property Has Problems!”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Stayed in Room #11. Sewer backed up into shower. Toilet leaked and did not have enough water pressure to flush properly. Telephone in the room also did not work. Not enough hot water to fill jacuzzi even half full. Informed desk clerk of the problems. Was informed that there was nothing that could be done as owner and maintance man had gone home for the evening. All the clerk could offer was to move us to another smaller room. As it was late evening, cold and the wind was blowing strongly, we did not want to pack up all our belongings and move to a smaller room that cost less per night then we were paying for our room. I asked for a refund or discount but was told that was not possible. I asked the clerk to inform the owner of our problems and was told we would be contacted the next morning by Mark, the owner.

The next morning came and went and we heard nothing from Mark. When checking out, Mark was in the office and I told him of our problems. His reposnse to me was that there was nothing he could do right now as he had to go check out the room and he would call me later in the day. I asked him to go with me now and check out the room while I was still there and he told me that he could not leave the office and he would do it later and get back to me. I pressed him to go now so that WE could check out the room and all that he would say is that he would send his maintance man down later and call me by 2PM that afternoon. There were 2 other people in the office with Mark, yet he refused to leave the office. We had paid for our stay in advance so he already had our money and at that point there was nothing I could do except turn in the keys an hope that he kept his word and call me back. He didn't....

However I did recieve a call back frm the clerk I had spoken with the night before. I could tell that she did not want to be making the call to me. She informed me that Mark had checked out the room and that there were NO problems with the toilet and the reason the telephone did not work was because of the weather. But the real kicker was what he had said about the sewer backing up into tthe shower. Mark's excuse for this was that if you use the jacuzzi and open the drain the plumbing can not handle all of the water and it will back up into the shower! The problem with this excuse is that we did NOT use the jacuzzi prior to the sewer backing up into the shower.

The clerk informed me that Mark was willing to provide me with a $50.00 gift certificate to use at his property only, but would not refund any amount back to me. I informed the clerk that this was unacceptible and thanked her for calling. But Mark told me he would call and he did not keep his word. It is obvious that he cares nothing about keeping his customers happy or his reputation in good standing. If this was the first time I had a problem at his property I would not have taken the time to write such a detailed review but It is the second time but I assure you it will be the last time I spend my vacation at Oak Creek Terrace Resort! This property is falling apart and the owner does not care about taking care of his customers.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank craigers411

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 7, 2011

A fabulous spot for a romantic getaway in the Red Rock country. It's located along Oak Creek Canyon on the creek, 5 miles from the hustle and bustle of Sedona, yet close enough to enjoy everything the town has to offer. There was a Dairy Queen right across the street where we topped off our night with ice cream. The people that work at the Terrace were friendly, and the rooms were clean. We were even able to have our dog with us.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lalilinei
Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I have no idea where these people that wrote these bad reviews stayed, but we had a great, relaxing and beautiful honeymoon in Room 15! The jacuzzi ran great, with plenty of hot water. The bed was sooooo comfy! The room was clean. The TV worked great, and the fireplace was wonderful. The staff even provided us with at least one DuraFlame log to burn, and they sell them at the front desk for 2 bucks! The air/heat worked fantastically! The only problem was that the bathroom was very small, but we didn't really care! It was clean, and worked properly. The creek was just several steps from our room, and a very quiet area to either fish, or just read a book. The staff was wonderful! One night we accidentally locked ourselves out of the room, and as soon as I saw Aaron, he was right on it, getting us a key and letting us back in. They were very friendly and helpful, and will tell you a lot about the area and different things to do. They even have a large selection of DVD's to rent for a buck! I'm sorry to all the people that must've expected a 5 star resort, but it's the middle of the canyon, and you can't get much better than this! This will be our new getaway for the rest of our new life together!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tonysgirl1959
3999 Pleasant Valley Drive Prescott, Az 86305
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Upon arrival we notice a cigarette smell in our room, was advised it was the disinfectant spray. Was told that we should open our door. When getting ready to take a shower, and noticed there was no hot water. We were told that the unit next door to ours had a family and shared the same hot water tank. We were unable to take a shower until morning. No hot water in the bathroom sink. When checking out we were told they would give us 20% off on our next visit. No, we wouldn't come back again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank George H
Avondale
Reviewed October 4, 2010

My husband and I have been visiting this place since the 90's. It had been a few years since our last visit. This time, I was dissappointed with the facilities. The jacuzzi didn't work (hot water would turn cold in less than a minute), the air conditioning kept freezing and stopping, and although the premises had outside furniture, they were dusty and unkempt. We tried having a romantic dinner in the cute gazebo, but it was full of dust and leaves. The only thing pleasant I found of the resort was Aaron's friendly personality and professinalism, and the newlyweds next to us (#19) taking their pictures outside before they left. They looked so sweet.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 27, 2010

There are some really good & really bad reviews on here, so obviously opinions differ. But we loved everything about Oak Creek Terrace Resort. My Husband and I spent our Honeymoon in Room#19. It was such a beautiful location, cute & clean room, wonderful service. Aaron at the front desk was so friendly and helpful. He rented us some fishing poles for free and we took them down to the creek behind our room and spent some quality time fishing. It was lovely. We went into town for dinner, and came home later that night & watched a movie in the heart shaped jacuzzi! It was the perfect place for a romantic honeymoon. We plan to be back next year for our Anniversary!

p.s. I think it really matters which room you stay in, as some are much more enjoyable than others. Just keep that in mind, plan ahead, and make sure you get the room you want and I'm sure you will love the resort as much as we did.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MrandMrsLarson
Mendenhall, Mississippi
Reviewed August 26, 2010

My son and I stopped on a whim at this place and we loved the atmosphere, location, comfortable beds and the outside areas. My sister and her husband are going on ananniversary trip and this is the place I'm recommending to them for Sedona. It's really so close to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Flagstaff and you can find anything in those places. Wish we had more time to have enjoyed the fishing and cooking on their gas grill next to the pond where the flat screen sits outside. The running creek sounds would have made for such a peaceful fish fry. The staff could not have been more helpful and polite. First the late night guy and then the morning lady, they impressed us greatly.

• Stayed August 2010