“They had all the little nice things you'd like to have in a room.”

Southwest Inn at Sedona
Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

The ambiance was fabulous - a gas log fireplace, beautiful southwestern art, two-sink large bathroom with thick towels & terry-cloth robes. There was a nice breakfast and the personnel was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2013
2dumbpugs, Manager at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a sweet review!

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed all the amenities the Southwest Inn has to offer!

Hope to see you in the future! Thank you

Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property for one night last week and it was a very positive experience. We had a second floor room with a view of the mountains, although the clouds quickly moved in due an unexpected thunderstorm. The room and bathroom were spotless and the bed was very comfortable. Complimentary breakfast was good. Nick at the front desk recommended good restaurants in the area. We chose Judi's at his suggestion and it was a real winner! Wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor.
1  Thank klamathkathy

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review!

We are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable experience at the Inn, even with the storm. We take pride in what we do for our guest even if its dinner recommendations. Nick is well knowledgeable of Sedona as well as our other staff. We love helping our guest!

Thank you and we hope to see you in the near future!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is a relatively small, independently owned and operated property that has many pluses and maybe a few minuses. If you like the reliability of a typical chain hotel, this may not be for you. It is well maintained with a variety of room configurations decorated in a pleasant southwestern style. Attention to details in decor and amenities kick it up. We stayed in a second floor king suite. It was very comfortable for two but easily could have accomodated a child or two on the pull out in the sitting room. So the bathroom did not have the most up-to-date fixtures, but it was quite large and spotless - no hitting your elbows on the walls here. Owner was very visible during our 3 night stay and supplied a wealth of information about the area and where to hike, bike, etc. Breakfast was healthy with a variety of choices that while not necessarily our favorites, left no one left hungry. The location is great for hikers as it is very convenient to several amazing hiking areas. The problem with many places in Sedona, including this one, is the proximity to the highway. Located in West Sedona, it is not in the most congested shopping areas which is good, but also allows for traffic to speed up when zipping south. The night we checked in I asked for a room change but was told by the clerk that this was not possible. I think I could have taken this up with the owner later and made a change but after the hiking we did, we conked out on the following nights. Early morning highway noise was the worst feature of our stay - maybe rooms located farther back do not have this problem. However,our room featured an overhead fan and a radio that played no-commercial soothing music. Many of the staff are young but we found everyone very willing to help (a light bulb needing replacement), or make suggestions about the area (directions to take the scenic route and not the highway up to Flagstaff or a hint to buy a take-away lunch at the local healty foods supermarket). There is a lot of good information on their website - worth reading before your visit.

Room Tip: Away from the office and the highway. Second floor is "all suite".
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was a great little spot for the night. I would have considered staying longer if I would have known this place would be such a great value. The room was very clean and spacious. The room also came with a fireplace which was just a great bonus. The bed was very comfortable and there was zero noise from other rooms. This place is a great value. I plan to stay at this location again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a whirlpool tub for $5.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2dumbpugs, Manager at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write nice review!

We are pleased to hear that you had such a great time at the Inn!

Hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed at the Southwest Inn overnight just last week. I was a little worried after reading some of the negative reviews, but I'm so glad we stayed there. We were on the second floor, and had a great view of Thunder mountain. It was clean and warm, and we loved the gas fireplace. The cozy robes were a welcome touch. The breakfast room was bright and sunny, and the food was very good.
We did not use the hot tub or pool, but they were clean.
I have to say that the front desk staff were wonderful. They made great suggestions to help us see as much as we could in two days. They made great restaurant recommendations, and I'm sure we will be back next time we are in Sedona

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We arrived at 6 pm and the desk attendant was very friendly. When we saw our room, we were dissapointed. Our room was next to the office and the patio opened to the parking lot. I returned and asked if they had any alternate rooms. She indicated that for $15 more ($140.00) she could upgrade us to the second level near the back. We upgraded the room. When we entered, the room it looked nice, but our phone & fireplace did not work. I called the office on my cell phone, but my call went to the answering machine – I did not leave a message. I walked to the office and spoke to the young lady that checked us in. She said she did not know much about the phone system or fireplaces, but she would call housekeeping. After she tried to no avail, she said, “well, it appears she might have left early.” I could tell that she was frustrated, so I said, "no worries, we are leaving for dinner, so could someone take a look at the situation while we are gone?" She said, "I will go to your room and see what I can do." That is when I realized she was all alone and no one else was there to help her. I said, most important is the fireplace (it was a chilly night 44 to 46 degrees) so if you can correct that situation all is good. When we returned, there was a note on the office door indicating that it was closed for the night and “if you had a reservation please call…[the posted number].” Yikes, the place is unstaffed at night! We returned to the room and nothing had changed, no phone, no fireplace. I called the posted number and an “off site service” answered. He said “this is the first I have heard about it and the staff has gone for the evening.” Bottom line, nothing could be done. In the morning, I spoke to the new desk person. She said “I know what is wrong with the phone and I am sorry about the fireplace, I did get a message this morning indicating your concern. The desk attendant from last night is new." I said, I don’t think it was her fault; there was no one here to help her -She was all alone. She said, "she could have called me" I just let it drop and that was the end of our discussion.
I would not have stayed here had I known that the hotel was unstaffed in the evening. I think they close the office at 7 pm on Sundays; after 7 pm you are on your own! It might be a bit later other nights - not sure. It was a disappointment not to have the fireplace; but it was a real frustration that there was no one to help us – especially since they knew of the problem before leaving the place unstaffed for the night!
On a positive note, I enjoyed the breakfast in the morning. It was fairly typical "breakfast included" food items, cereal, waffles, oatmeal, toast, english muffins (the exception was the burrito - yummy), but the lady working was very kind and the coffee was good. She heard me say I liked the burrito and without a word, brought me the recipe for it. Nice touch.

Room Tip: There are so many nice small hotels in Sedona, pick one that has full service.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Luv2Travel-Americas
2dumbpugs, Owner at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

We are sorry for the confusion that surrounded your visit. Yes Rachel is new: she is a graduate of the Northern AZ University Hospitality program; but, she did not leave until after 9pm. we have 24 hour security, and all night phone service.

When we entered the room the next morning, the fireplace worked just fine--you have to turn the fireplace on, from the timer switch, which is for safety; and, the phone also worked, but you had to press the call button after dialing the number that you wanted to call.

Thank you, for your comments on our breakfast, but be cautious with the quantity; we cut the ingredients by 4, and we use fresh basil and garlic.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

After a lot of internet research, particularly on Trip Advisor, we selected this hotel for our three-night stay. Our second floor room was spacious and very well appointed. We enjoyed the balcony with its great views. It is true that it is a few miles to uptown Sedona, but that was fine. We never had any trouble finding a place to park uptown, even though we were told that it was high season. You need to drive to get to any of the great hiking locations in the area, so there is no need to stay in the crammed downtown area. I didn't particularly like the vegetarian breakfast, but the breakfast room was clean. Our room was super clean. The room seemed very quiet--we didn't really hear any noise from any of our neighbors, but could hear traffic on the road toward morning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda M
2dumbpugs, Manager at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Southwest Inn! Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We love our location, its on the quite side of Sedona where you can see the beauty around us! We are right next to Dry Creek Road, which is the entry way to a lot of great trails!

Hope to see you in the future!