“Not a bad place to stay if the price is right” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Southwest Inn at Sedona

Southwest Inn at Sedona
Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Central, NJ
“Not a bad place to stay if the price is right”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We visit Sedona often and have stayed in a mix of properties from B&Bs to luxury resorts. For this trip, we were looking to have a few quiet days in town without breaking the bank. The Southwest Inn is located on the edge of town in an area that is fairly quiet which we appreciated. Though they label it as an Inn, it is really more of a motel. A nice motel to be sure, but a motel. All rooms open directly to the outside with many facing the parking lot. It may not be a big deal for many but it is a pet peeve of mine. Their website did not make that fact clear, and it started my trip off on a slightly sour note.

That said, the rooms were clean, and spacious with a nice TV and fireplace. The bathroom was a good size with a single person jacuzzi and a shower. The bathroom construction quality and decor were average, but clean. There was no safe in the room which we still find surprising in this day and age.

The bed was comfortable, and the lighting was good. Having a fridge in the room was nice as well. Outside noise was not too bad. The pool is tiny but well maintained and there is a hot tub as well that we didn't look at.

The breakfast was nothing special at all. The inn does have internet access, but we were never able to get it to work. The staff were generally very nice. All in all, I would say that this is a okay property for a quiet visit to Sedona as long as you go in knowing what you are getting and feel the price is fair. We would consider staying there again in a pinch, but prefer something a little more hotel or B&B like.

1 Thank joylama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Clarion, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the Southwest Inn at Sedona for 9 nights and could not have been more pleased. The rooms were immaculately cleaned every day and the staff was kind and thoughtful, responding to our every need and question. They not only suggested sites for us to visit but drew maps and on several occasions, even called for us and made our reservations. The rooms were comfortable and well appointed. We loved staying there and have recommended it to others.

Marana, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

We absolutely loved this place! We have stayed at many Sedona hotels and this one was superior. The bed was unbelievable, the room was sparkling clean as was the bathroom. The fireplace in the room a wonderful touch, I imagine it would be perfect in the winter. This hotel is not a mega-sized sprawling hotel, it is just perfect. The owners have pride in this facility and it shows. It is our new favorite place to stay in Sedona!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Judybootsie
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed here after doing a search for a decent, reasonably priced hotel for a short getaway.
First off, you really can't go wrong with most hotels in Sedona, they ALL (for the most part) have wonderful views, and easy locations.
We didn't know this, and we wanted something a bit better than a motel so we choose Southwest Inn based on the rating on here, even though it was approx. $40-$60 more a night.
After staying there, and now knowing, I would probably choose a different Hotel. It wasn't anything special, the pool is tiny, location a bit further than most Hotels, but the rooms were decent.

The upside, most of the staff were friendly, Cindy, Brie, and the kitchen girl, were super helpful and informative with local events and things to do. The king size bed was so cozy, and the robes were a nice touch (though stiff and uncomfortable).
It was nice to have a mini fridge, coffee maker in the room though that is pretty standard in a lot of places.
The downside, the bathroom sink clogged constantly and we did tell the front desk, nothing was done, so day 3 we mentioned it again. They made a note of it.
We loved Sedona so much we wanted to stay an extra day. (4 instead of the 3 we booked).
I called and asked if we could and they said they would call me right back to let me know.
Half an hour later I called again to ask as no one had gotten back to me. They said yes, fine, and I asked how much our total stay would be and was quoted a price.
I was pleasantly surprised as it was less than I anticipated so I asked again if that was our total bill. I was told yes it was.
Upon check out we mentioned our problems with bathroom again as the sink clogging really needed to be seen to, it was a pain for 2 people to use the bathroom sink, and gross after brushing ones teeth. Also the jacuzzi took nearly an hour to fill to a decent level, the water pressure was so low. (We only used it once).
We were told sorry, and there was a note for them to fix it.
I then got the bill and it was over $130 more than what I was quoted.
I asked about it, and was told it was because they had pre-charged it when I checked in.
I explained I had asked for a total quote before when we asked about staying an extra night and we had a certain budget in mind....et.. We were told sorry for the mix up.
My husband was ticked so he went to the front desk and was told sorry as well. He asked for the manager/owners information and emailed them when we returned home.
The owner said they would look into it.
Nothing was done, except a sorry, and a note saying did your wife really expect that price? !! . We emailed back twice and asked for the owners to call me, as I was the one who had dealt with the front desk and maybe they could better understand our frustration after speaking with me, but got no call.
As far as I am concerned that determines that we WONT go back there. For the price, which was more than the average hotel, and for what it was, there are more Hotels in Sedona. Customer service is number one in book. Our stay was decent, but if I have an issue, I want it addressed....period.
I have read some of the reviews on here since and I have to agree with Mntaveller_22 the owners dont give a hoot about any customer returning or there overall satisfaction, Deal breaker for me.
UPDATE: I was about hit send and thought I would try one more time before I have a negative thing to say as my mom always taught me if you have nothing nice to say, et...
I spoke with Brie who was wonderul. She is the Hotel manager and said she wished she had handled this from the start, but she was off during the time we checked out. I asked her how I would get in touch with the owners and she said she would call them for me and ask that they call me.
Well Craig Phelan, the owner, did. I explained our side of things and he was firm with his stance of we should of known we were charged the extra $$ as a pre-charge. I explained we didn't know, and I specifically asked TWICE the total of our stay before we added the extra night. I also said it was not great we had to call, email and wait for a phone call, he should of called us when we asked not once, but twice.
He said he was out of town, and he had dealt with things fine and his staff said we were told the total PLUS the extra. (Not true).
He asked what I would like him to do, I said at this point, just honor what I was quoted. (We are only talking $130 here not a kings ransom). He said he wasn't going to do that, and I said fine, then you have an unhappy customer, and we wont be back and would make my reviews accordingly, to which he responded blackmail was illegal in the State of Az!! Seriously!! wow.
I said I was not blackmailing him, and to say such a thing was ludicrous. He said that my husband had sent threatening emails to him (not true), and I was rude to his staff, (not true) as a matter of fact when I spoke with the manager she was very apologetic, and wonderful, and wished she could of done something herself.
So, the hotel is ok, the staff (Brie, Cindy, and Annie (the kitchen girl) all Great but the owners, have absolutely NO business being in the hospitality business. Your on your own heaven forbid you dare to complain!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank Ikettleslemis
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed four nights and enjoyed Sedona, but left on sour note. We were quoted a price for an extra night but whan we checked out, the bill was another $130.00. We originally planned a three night stay but decided to stay a fourth. My wife called the front desk and asked what the total would be for four nights and was given a price. When the price was cheaper than we thought she asked again and was told the same thing. We went ahead and stayed. When checking out we were surprised at the bill and questioned it. The older woman at the desk told us that there was a misunderstanding and the young lady who told us the price didn't realize that we had been pre charged for the first night. I complained and all I got was I'm sorry and an offer for a Starbuck's certificate. I wrote to the owner who said she would look into it. All I got back was a thanks for staying and a copy of my bill with some red circles on it. Completely unprofessional. I replied to her to please call my wife as she was the one who actually spoke to the woman at the desk. We never received a phone call. It is a shame as the two young girls that worked there were very helpful when we arrived as far as things to do. As a side note, the bathroom sink took forever to drain which was never taken care of and the bath tub took almost a hour to fill as there was very little water pressure. The room was nice but you can stay at Days inn plenty of other places for $60.00 a night less and get pretty much the same thing. Pretty much not worth the price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank wlemis
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

We stayed here for three nights and loved it. Very clean, comfortable, nice decor, with a beautiful view of the red rocks just behind the pool. Everyone on staff, from housekeeping to front desk, was extremely friendly and helpful--especially with suggesting places to eat and things to do. Southwest Inn is right on highway 89 (we were never bothered at all by highway noise), a few miles outside of the main shopping area of Sedona. It was a quieter area, away from the pedestrian traffic, but an easy drive when we wanted to shop and walk around galleries and such.

We loved the landscaping and the quiet garden walkway with the fountains leading to our room. Also, the breakfast (included in the price) was excellent--loved the burritos!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Southwest Inn for 3 of the 9 nights we were gone on vacation and were extremely happy with the accomodations. The staff was very polite and always eager to please. The room was clean, very comfortable and the view from our balcony was fantastic. It was far enough away from the main drag to be quiet, yet close enough to still be convenient.

Room Tip: worth the extra money for a second floor room