“Great Boutique Hotel in Sedona at a Reasonable Price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Southwest Inn at Sedona

Southwest Inn at Sedona
Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Sun Valley, Idaho
“Great Boutique Hotel in Sedona at a Reasonable Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

We recently stayed at the fancy and expensive Enchantment Resort and Mii Amo Spa in Sedona, Arizona. We hiked nearby trails in the beautiful red rock country, worked out in the spa fitness facility, pampered ourselves with treatments and massages, ate in the three on-site restaurants, and enjoyed comfortable and clean room accommodations. We also spent a small fortune. After checking out, we discovered a privately owned boutique hotel a stone’s throw away from Enchantment. For far less than one-half the price, we had all of the amenities that Enchantment offered, including easy access to great hiking/walking trails, a swimming pool and spa, a free hot breakfast in a neat breakfast room, a friendly and helpful staff that were available to hook us up with a nearby fitness center, jeep rides and/or treatments and massages at first class local spas, and a wonderful, well-furnished and clean room complete with free wi-fi, a flat screen TV, and luxurious towels, comforter, pillows and bathrobes. When we return to Sedona, we’ll stay at our newly discovered gem, the Southwest Inn at Sedona, and indulge ourselves with all of the great Sedona restaurants, sights and experiences that are virtually at your finger tips when you stay at the Southwest Inn.

Michael and Ruthann Saphier

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Minnetonka, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

During a very recent stay, the WiFi did not work much of the time, and when it did, it worked very poorly. We were in Sedona on a vacation, and really needed the WiFi to plan outings, check out restaurants, etc. I complained about it to the front desk twice during our stay, and was told that the owners knew about the problem, had installed new equipment, but that we are in Sedona, and these kinds of problems just happen there, blah, blah, blah. I have three problems with all of this: (1) They prominently feature their free WiFi as an amenity of the hotel, which, in the circumstances, is false advertising - I never would have chosen to stay there if they had been honest about these problems in advance; (2) I have stayed elsewhere is Sedona in the past, and never, ever had any WiFi problems - I believe they are simply skimping on their system, at the expense of their guests, which makes me wonder what else they are skimping on; and (3) I spent $1,200 on my stay, and paid for something that was promised, but not delivered, and offered no compensation whatsoever - I did not get what I paid for. Last night, we placed a large take-out order at a local restaurant for a Mother's Day gathering. The restaurant screwed up the order, and was 30 minutes late in having the food ready. The manager took full responsibility, and gave us a substantial discount, as compensation for our troubles, and as a gesture of good will. The restaurant wants me to come back, and I will. The owners of the Southwest Inn do not care if I ever come back, and I certainly will not.

4 Thank Mntraveller_22
2dumbpugs, Owner at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
We are exasperated with our WIFI system, but we continue to pour money into providing a system that delivers WIFI throughout the property.

We first began experiencing WIFI problems during the presidential campaign, when Senator McCain began flying Governor Palin in for debate preparation. We have been told that some kind of jamming device has been installed at John McCain's ranch, which is over the hill to our west.

We have replaced all of the transceivers (again) for a more powerful signal. However, as you are aware, during your stay, we offered our lobby with our over sized Arizona Leather chairs as a place to acquire a WIFI signal, and we provide our guests with a "free" business center, which has direct cable connection to the internet.

Our new and enhanced system is now up and running, which along with our business center allows all of our guests Internet connection.
Billings, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

My wife and I had planned on an anniversary weekend away from the children for the first time in 18 years!! We arrived on the evening of May 6th, went to our room to find a small, but cozy and quaint room with a fire-place! Nice...we thought.

Had a good nights sleep, up at 5:00 a.m. for a hot-air balloon ride the next morning, then off for a self-guided Jeep tour (Barlow's Jeep Rentals is THE BEST). Got done from the dusty trail about 2:30 p.m. when we dropped the Jeep off at Barlow's and headed back to the room for a shower before our 4:00 p.m. massage and then dinner.

Got back to the room right at 2:30 p.m. to find our room had not been made up! We saw the Maid (not sure if that's PC or not, so I apologize if it isn't in advance) and asked what the deal was. She says that they were "short-handed" and that she wasn't going to be able to get to it for at least 1/2 hour. I then just asked for some clean towels and told her to skip it, that we didn't have time to wait.

We went out to a lovely dinner that was exquisitely prepared (Dahl & DiLuca - 5 stars) and came back to the room where we had pulled the bedspread up and picked up the old towels and put them in the tub.

Went to check out the next morning, the front desk clerk asked how our stay was. I told her about the incident, that I was extremely dissapointed in the lack of servicing our room. She responded, and I quote, "Oh, I'm sorry that shouldn't have happened, I'll let them know." I asked, "You'll let who know?" She responded with, "I'll let them know so that does not happen next time. I hope you have a nice day!" She then handed me my receipt and I was on my way.

I obviously could have made a stink about it then, but decided I didn't want to get my blood boiling by dealing with merchants who don't care about repeat business or an honest Trip Advisor review!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else to get the best room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank doc_que
We are very proud of our ranking as one of the cleanest hotels in Sedona, and we apologize for the incident, which arose when one of our housekeepers child had an injury, and another called in sick. On these days, we work very long hours, and we do all that we can in order to finish up the day with all of the rooms in tip top shape.

In regards to not allowing this to happen again: we have taken measures to have back up help on weekends, and we have moved personnel around to cover those times for which planning is difficult.
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

Staff is very friendly, room very clean, beds exceptionally comfortable, free breakfast with wide variety of foods, nice little fireplace, spacious refrig, plus 2 comfortable robes in room. The only negative is that you can hear road noise during the day. At night, the road noise is minimal.
In addition, the second floor rooms have a balcony you can see from more easily than first floor. The sunset view is good, but I would still recommend going to he airport road for a better view.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank DaveAZ7
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

We liked our big room and big bath. Everything is good here, and the towels are big and fluffy. A good breakfast is served in a cheerful room.

We liked this comfortable but unpretentious place. Our room was on the second floor, and that is what I recommend for you. It's worth the climb.

Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

My dear hubby and I stayed here for two nights. The first thing we noticed was that the room was exceptionally clean and welcoming. The staff was available when we would walk into the lobby. We didn't see them immediately, but they would always appear and be wiling to help us with anything we needed. The internet was down for our first night. I questioned the staff member and she stated that yes, it was down but should be fixed by that evening and it was. The breakfast, we thought, was great! We enjoyed the hot cereal as well as the waffles and burritos. We do feel it is time for bed replacement, but that would not keep us from staying again. Overall, we love this place! (As for the soaps and shampoo, they were just perfect! :)

Minneapolis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

My husband and I recently spent several nights at the Southwest Inn in Sedona. Sedona is beautiful as described, but this lodging is very far from being a boutique hotel as the information on the Southwest Inn website grandiosely states.

Greeting at the desk was perfunctory when we checked in. A book of information in the room refers to a concierge, but never did we see anyone at any time (and we were in and out of the lobby at various times of the day and evening) at the desk where such information would be dispensed. There was a flat screen with a brief loop of information (take a train tour, a helicopter tour, a jeep tour, etc.) which also mentioned a person's birthday and the weather. We ended up going to the Chamber of Commerce in town where we received excellent advice and help, detailed maps, suggestions for hikes, restaurants, and galleries, all given in a gracious, friendly manner. We chose to follow these suggestions and were not disappointed.

Views from our room (2nd floor) were partially obstructed by telephone lines and commercial buildings from across the street. Traffic noise was a constant when the door to our balcony was open. The bed was soft and lumpy and long overdue for replacement. Breakfast was disappointing--a big vat of instant oatmeal, a couple of dry cereals, one type of overly sweet yogurt, and the like. This was nothing close to the variety and quality of a breakfast buffet in a boutique hotel. The so-called custom amenities were no-name combo shampoo/conditioner, hand lotion, shower cap, and two thin slivers of soap.

Most annoyingly they make a big point of "free WIFI", mentioned 4 times in the room directory as well as on their website, but the WIFI was intermittent and completely unreliable. We called the front desk on the first evening of our stay and were told it would be fixed. On the morning of the second day we were told that many other people had also complained and they were working on it. During our entire stay, the WIFI remained unreliable.

On the plus side the rooms and property were kept clean and the location, in terms of getting to places, was fairly convenient. However, this is not a lodging to which I could return.

2 Thank etravel17
2dumbpugs, Owner at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
I am confused that we did not meet your expectations; we received a number of guest comment cards on the same day as your departure that raved about the comfort of our rooms, the "little touches", and especially our breakfast, which we prepare fresh daily. Our Tarahumara Burritos are hand maid and are just possibly the most perfect food combination in the world. The other cereals and our porridge are all organic.

Yes, our WIFI has been a nightmare. We are located in between John McCain's ranch on one side of the mountain and the Red Rock Wilderness on the other side, where there is reportably a UFO base. As a result, we have had a very difficult time with signal interference. We just upgraded to a more powerful cable,and installed new and more powerful receivers, so until Governor Palin or the UFO's return to town, we should be good to go!