“Just returned”

Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Toronto, Canada
“Just returned”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2007

Hmmm.... this is hard property to rate. I was somewhat deceived by their website. I expected more, and in a more private area. I did not enjoy the highway noise all day and night. The building is old, with cosmetics to make it appear newer. The room had all the needed travel comforts, but........ it did give the overall appearance of being a bit shabby. It was spotless tho. (thank you Maria)
The bathroom is huge, but getting outdated.
There is no elevator, so be prepared to hump luggage up stairs. Office staff were friendly and efficient. Office gives the appearance of being a bit "junky". Coffee and breakfast room upstairs was a nice touch. Three computers upstairs for use. Parking plentiful.
I would recommend this place, with some drawbacks. It is not a romantic getaway spot. They provide a comfortable stay with no sparkle. Possibly change of location would be the ticket to create a "great" spot but........ rather hard to do. If I needed a one nighter, this spot would do, but I'm sorry that we booked there for two nights.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Joyce333

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Belvidere, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2007

My husband and I stayed here from 10/29-11/1/07. I had done my research on tripadvisor and decided this hotel fit my requirements. We had room 232 which was a king, red rock view room directly overlooking the pool. Yes, you could see the red rocks, but the view is not unobstructed. There are buildings, telephone lines, etc. in the way. We had a fireplace which we used one night also. The room was very clean and remained so over the course of our stay. Everything worked properly and we were given more than enough towels. The room had a mini-fridge which we had to plug in when we arrived, but it too worked great. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. The breakfast was more than adequate for us and all items were always sufficiently stocked. We took advantage of the complimentary computers to check e-mail, print our boarding passes and buy plane tickets for our next trip!! This was a nice added feature and even though they say printing is .20/per page, they never charged me. They sell bottled water at the front desk for $1 for a 24oz bottle - a good deal. The desk staff and the concierge were both pleasant and very accommodating. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and would definitely stay here again if I return.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ctribbs
Austin, Ttexas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2007

My sister-in-law and I started a tradition last year of picking a place to meet and have a girls retreat once a year. This year, we chose Sedona. Neither of us had ever been there, so I chose the Southwest Inn over the internet. I liked their website and the way the rooms looked, the views of the red rocks they promised we would be able to see from their balconies, and other guest comments that raved about the personal service we would receive. Their price also seemed very reasonable compared to some of the others I checked into. As we drove in on Hwy 179, I was pleased that our hotel was not located in the busier, more touristy looking section of Sedona we came upon first. When we turned onto Hwy 89, I realized we'd made the right choice on the location (completely by accident, of course!). Upon our arrival, the 2 front desk ladies that checked us in were friendly and helpful. They notified us that a concierge would be on duty soon if we needed any other assistance. We immediately went to check out our 2nd floor room, and there was indeed a view of the red rocks from our balcony. In addition, the rooms were beautifully appointed and very clean. There was a gas fireplace in the corner. It was lovely! Later we checked out the breakfast area (upstairs, above the Front Desk), the adjacent computer/work room (I was actually able to pick up the free wireless from my room, so I could use my laptop without having to leave my room. That was great!), and the notebook full of menus for local eateries. I think it was at that time that we first met Andrea, another one of the front desk staff. She was warm, friendly and more than helpful. It was like having our own personal assistant! If we mentioned going to a particular restaurant, she offered to make our reservations. She reviewed the local map and highlighted all the great spots to visit. She called us on our cell phone if she couldn't get the reservation time we'd requested to determine what alternate time would work. I simply can't say enough wonderful things about her! We didn't get a chance to use the pool or jacuzzi, but I was glad to know they were available. The free continental breakfast was very well done, including belgian waffles, hard-boiled eggs, juices, cereal... plenty to get your day started off right. Although I will say we enjoyed a good omelet one morning at The Coffee Pot restaurant down the street. During the day, there was always fresh iced tea available in the Breakfast area (with to-go cups if you didn't want to stay and enjoy just relaxing in this comfortable room full of windows and the sun streaming through). Well, I guess that's all I can say, except that this was one of the best, easiest and most relaxing vacations I've enjoyed since I don't know when. And the Southwest Inn and its staff were a big part of that!

• Liked — Personal service and very comfortable beds!
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank CandlewoodLake
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2007

Just returned from a stay at the Southwest Inn. and although it's a very nice roadside motel, I do think it's a bit over-rated here on TripAdvisor.

The positives: Clean, comfortable beds, good amenities, pleasant staff, satisfying continental breakfast.

The negatives: Located right off the highway so there's lots of road noise, "red rock" views are overstated -- there are various obstructions to the views including power lines and other buildings, the pool is very small, the suites are pricey -- for $259/night, I wondered if I could have found a place with a bit more serenity and better views.

• Liked — Room size, cleanliness, and amenities
  • Disliked — Located on highway, obstructed views
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2007

My boyfriend and I just spent two nights at the Southwest Inn in Sedona. Everything was great! We weren't sure what time we would be arriving, so they went ahead and set up everything for a late arrival, just in case. The ladies at the desk were so helpful, and so nice about everything! We thought we may require a late checkout when we left (which we didn't end up needing) but they were happy to accommodate that as well. We were in a standard room with two queen beds and there was plenty of space, and the gas fireplace was such a nice touch! One afternoon we ate lunch on our patio, which was great with the views of the red rocks. The complimentary breakfast was just right. The usual assortment of juices, coffee, bagels, toast, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, etc, etc, and waffles as well. It was quiet, very very clean, and totally worth it for the money. We would highly recommend the Southwest Inn for anyone, and would definitely return. Sedona is beautiful, you will love it!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2007

My wife and I stayed here last week for three nights. This was our first time to Sedona (her first time to Arizona ever) and I was trying to get a reasonable rate - but at a nice place. Researching options, you quickly find that Sedona is expensive...as any
"special" place is ...and this is a special destination. In many ways, its going to seem way too touristy for some, but it is simply unavoidable when you have such natural beauty surrounding the place.

We arrived later than we expected after renting a car at the Phoenix airport, and once we got close to Sedona in the night, we had problems navigating our way to the property. Not due to any problem with the location...it's just that we didn't realize Sedona is a
"dark sky" town and by code all the outdoor lighting faces straight down, and signage is restricted to minimum heights etc. (kind of like
Hilton Head Island). Plus there is major road/street work going on in
several places. So, if possible, I'd recommend arriving BEFORE dark....and the extra bonus is you get one more Sedona sunset on the red rocks!.

Our room was perfectly clean, the beds were comfortable (extremely important to me) and the refrigerator was a nice plus, as were the two sinks outside of the bathroom. Others have noted how helpful and friendly the staff is...we found this to be the case as well. All of the parking I saw was on the front side of the property, so that's extremely convenient to go from car to room if you are staying on that side. As also noted in other reviews, this place is right on the main street/highway, and it can be noisy when you sit outside your room in the patio or balcony areas. The ground floor patios do have a wall separating you from the cars and others waking just in front...so it's relatively private and a nice touch. We did not have any street noise, however, while we were in the room itself. However,
I was very surprised that the guy walking in his room above me was so loud. It wasn't like he was trying to be loud, but we could literally follow every step...like they didn't construct it with enough insulation or buffer between our ceiling and his floor. Fortunately, he didn't stay up that late...but it was surprising how loud it was....if you are a light sleeper or go to bed early, you may want to request the 2nd floor. (no elevators here however).

The upstairs breakfast room was attractive and the fare was basic complimentary breakfast offerings: bagels/toast, waffles, cereal, fruit, yogurt, hardboiled eggs and so on. However, there were a few chairs/tables on the outdoor deck off this room, and the views are unlike you'll have with any other complimentary breakfast anywhere.

All in all, this is a nice place...if you want more of a conventional
hotel with a central lobby and interior entrances to your room, elevators, etc...then there are other places available. We found the Southwest Inn to be perfectly suitable for us. I do recommend the Pink Jeep tour (the Broken Arrow/Scenic Rim combo was a blast) and I also recommend a tour of the Grand Canyon...we took the sunset tour with Great West and this was the highlight of the trip...multiple viewing stops of the canyon, beginning with the eastern most Desert View location and then had dinner overlooking the canyon in the historic Arizona Room at the El Tovar hotel. If you've not been to the Grand Canyon, don't go to Sedona without including it somehow....
it's only 2 hours away!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank findthefairway
Forli'
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2007

When booking through Expedia I was very surprised to see all 5/5 votes about this hotel. The expectation was very high, too high. In fact, this hotel has a very nice room, spacious and confortable, with a, original fireplace and with jacuzzi in the bathroom. Unfortunately is a motel, on the main street, so, I can give 4 on 5 but I cannot compare it to one of the best hotels I've ever been.
A part from the room, the reception is the typical motel reception, the breakfast room too, and also the swimming pool, small but warm.
Anyway, I would suggest the Southwest Inn to anybody wants to have a stop in Sedona.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — It's a motel
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple