“A taste of Sedona”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Elote Cafe

Elote Cafe
Ranked #7 of 194 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Airdrie, Canada
“A taste of Sedona”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

After a short wait on the patio for our table with drinks we were treated to an unforgettable dining experience. Our teenage daughter enjoyed the smoked chicken enchiladas which is their signature dish. She is still raving about it. The smoked pork cheeks were tasty as was the carnitas. Chef Jeff Smedstad shares his culinary ray secrets on Good Morning AZ and cookbooks are available online and at the cafe. Mezcal choices are also 1st class.

1 Thank Kel H

Richmond, Virginia
“Be patient. It's so worth it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Yes, they don't take reservations. Yes, it's incredibly popular. Yes, you will wait a bit (or maybe a long bit) for a table, depending on which night you go and what time of year you're there. But, YES, it truly is some of the best Mexican food ever....inspired dishes that communicate Mexican cooking themes but in unique ways. My carne asada and Elote (the signature corn appetizer...which sounds odd but is enchanting and will leave you dying for the recipe) were incredible. My margarita was not inexpensive, but the entrée and appetizers were.
Get there later for a shorter wait (in the summer, things were starting to calm down by 8 on a Saturday night, probably much earlier on a "school night"). And if you're around near sunset, the view back behind the restaurant is photo heaven!

We really didn't want to "waste" our time having to wait, but too many people sang the same refrain -- go to Elote, it's unforgettably good. They were right!

2 Thank sjbirder
Grovetown, Georgia
“Gourmet Mexican Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was my first trip to a Mexican restaurant that I consider gourmet. The chef travels to Mexico each year to seek out new dishes to prepare. The menu is very short but full of delicious options.
This was our first trip and had a local recommend the appetizer named after the restaurant. He did not lead us astray. It was a corn kernel dip that was in a cream sauce with several spices. It was delicious and disappeared quickly. The main courses for my wife and myself were served with refried beans that we both devoured. We agreed that we never have had refried beans that were so good they distracted from the main dish.
If you like Mexican food and want to try it gourmet style, be patient. The place does not take reservations. We waited 30 minutes for a table Friday night during the low tourist season but we weren't disappointed. I read other reviews about it taking much longer at busier times.

1 Thank Ojb100
Phoenix, AZ
“My favorite restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

I live in Phoenix, and I get to Sedona a few times a year. Some girlfriends and I were spending a weekend in Sedona and heard about a review of this place in a (are you ready for this?) Boston newspaper. So then and there we decided to have dinner at Elote that evening. We were blown away! Since then, I have introduced this restaurant to several more friends and family members, and everyone has been impressed. The menu is very simple (11 appetizers / small meals and 10 regular meals total), but you will not be disappointed. No matter what you order, you will be amazed at the taste, consistency and quality of the food. And owner and chef Jeff Smedstead is very personable, will come to your table if you ask and is grateful for any feedback. Very talented chef! Go to Elote when you make it to Sedona. It'll be a high point of your trip.

• Visited May 2014
new york city
“Worth top ratings!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

A wonderful experience, from checking, getting our margaritas and sitting on the porch, to the wonderful service and food once we sat down 20 minutes later. Food was outstanding, we started with the ahi tacos, I had the carne asada and my husband had the shrimp. All prepared beautifully, experience and view great start to finish.

Visited July 2014

Been to Elote Cafe? Share your experiences!