“Delicious, plus awesome view”
Review of Elote Cafe

Elote Cafe
Ranked #4 of 199 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Elote dip was excellent. Smoked chicken enchiladas were the best I've ever tasted. Cucumber Margarita was very refreshing. View from the terrace in the evening is stunning. Forrest was an excellent waiter!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,363)

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Always ask the locals for restaurants, When the Pink Jeep tour guide recommended this place we tried it and it was great! They only open 5-10 PM daily. No lunch. No reservations. The place is packed every day. Food was freshly prepared with very low sodium which I like. Great flavoring with spices is the way to go. The house corn soup was incredible, a nice smooth cream base with local corn kernels in the mix. They top it off with queso fresco, tomatoes and thin tortilla strips. My wife had the lamb shank which was equally good. Sloooowww cooked for 12 hours, meat falls off the bone. It comes with a side of rice and beans. I had the chicken enchiladas which were delicious and well seasoned. My only regrest was not being able to stay another night in Sedona so that I could have come here again. Everything in the menu looked great. The servers were experienced and provided great service. We chose to dine inside but there is outside patio sitting available.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

I was in Sedona hiking with a friend who was a true foodie and so off to Elote we go. The line up for the drinks should have been the give away. We are able to secure a table in the waiting area through nefarious means and then we waited and waited and waited. We waited through screaming kids, people telling parents of screaming kids to quiet them, we waited and watch the tired and the hungry slowly make their move into the dining area. We were sat with a couple who were very nice and we shared some of Elote's famed dishes. They were okay but definitely not worth the wait. My helpful hint is to get there EARLY and if there is a lineup , comeback another day when you can get there early or very late. Keep in mind, I was in Sedona to hike which means early morning and not having rich food in stomach late at night ......

Reviewed July 12, 2014

This place probably doesn't need any more positive reviews, but I'll pile on. They don't take reservations, but they offer the opportunity to sit outside and wait with one of their fantastic margharitas; many choices of tequila and variations on the the central theme. At our table we split a dozen dishes and none of them disappointed. You must start with the signature elote appetizer and then go on from there. The wait staff was terrific and described the dishes accurately. Don't come to Sedona without sampling it.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

If you like Mexican food and want to try a grown up alternative to the standard Tex-Mex offering then Elote Cafe is the perfect place.

The dining room unfortunately left an awful lot to be desired. My advice is to try and make them turn left when taking you to a table. If you go right you find yourself in a (barely-disguised) conference room from the attached hotel. It is fair to say, though, that this was pretty much forgotten once we started tasting food.

It was fresh, exotic (in the sense of not being the aforementioned standard Tex-Mex offering), delicious (oh, delicious) and not lazily covered in mounds of melted cheese, salsa, guacamole and sour cream.

You have to wait, yes, but this wasn't a huge chore as you get to sit on an outside terrace with a beer and some tasty house-seasoned popcorn whilst watching the sun set over Sedona's red rocks. I think the wait, the anticipation, probably makes the food taste even better.

(We chose Elote Cafe almost entirely on the back of TripAdvisor reviews so thank you those that came before.)

Been to Elote Cafe? Share your experiences!