“Does No Reservations Work?”
Review of Elote Cafe

Elote Cafe
Ranked #7 of 196 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Does No Reservations Work?”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

So the food is incredible and so fresh and consistent. There is no arguing that point. Just read the reviews.... I knew I would have great meal, I was more curious about how do you keep customers happy and stay rated #1 in Sedona without a reservation system. If you plan your day right and you want to eat early, which I usually don't, then get in line before they open at 5 pm. We were in line at 4:45pm and we made the first cut. 10 four top tables, 4 two top tables and bar seating for 8. So do the math, the first 56 or so make the first seating. Now this is where it becomes interesting. Because it is now batch work and you have to have a solid team to make that work... Believe me they do it right, each server covers each other, pulling drinks, bringing dinners etc... If your not doing something at your assigned table, your doing something at your colleagues table, the servers and bus staff never stop moving. Even the hostess who keeps the follow running will clear tables. Interesting enough you never feel rushed, you never feel like you have to get up so they can flip the table. Even the bar works in great flow having a separate line to order drinks while you wait on a covered patio for your anticipated meal. With batch work you will occasional have a miss, most tables ordered the Elote appetizer which came out to the tables in 1-3 mins, ours however took 18 mins. Something got missed, no worries though it was delicious and our meal which we ordered after the appetizer come out in less than 5 mins. So take the leap, play the no reservation game and go enjoy a great meal with staff who obviously love what their doing because it's working....

Julian, California
“Went back the second night---that says it all!”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Creative, delicious food at fair prices. Even went home with the cookbook to try to recreate the magic in my own kitchen!

Anchorage
“Nice evening, good dinner”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We had dinner our first night in town. I was so worried we'd have to wait for hours since it was a Saturday night, they don't take reservations and it was about 8pm. Well we did have a wait but it was only 35 minutes which seemed like a gift after all I'd read on TA about waits and what the concierge at the hotel said. I had a margarita while we waited. It was good but nothing particularly noteworthy. When we were seated we also lucked out and had a table on the deck. It was a gorgeous night and much quieter outside than inside. Our meals were very good. I had an enchilada dish and the husband had pork carnitas. He really liked his dish. I enjoyed the flavor of mine but a couple of places on the ends of the enchiladas were dried out and tough which was disappointing about the dish. I also would have liked it a bit spicier but that's just me. I did not know until I overheard another table ask that they have some different salsas to add some heat. All the staff was friendly and service fairly prompt. The salsa brought to the table before dinner was really good and flavorful. They offer a kids menu too which is nice. Prices are a tad on the high side but not unreasonable. Overall we enjoyed the restaurant and would go back if in Sedona again but I was not blown away by it. I would say it was certainly worth the wait we had but I wouldn't wait 2 hrs to dine here knowing what we know.

• Visited June 2014
Tucson AZ
“The best food in town”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

No reservations taken, so waiting in line gave us a chance to talk with others who were excited about going to Elote. Service is excellent; servers well informed and efficient. Blood Orange Margarita was neither too sweet nor too tart. My husband had the Mole Chicken Enchiladas and thought they were flavorful, a good size serving, and spicy but not too much. The sweet corn tamale was equal parts green corn and tasty masa. This is some of the best 'mexican' food in Arizona.

Cleveland, Ohio
“Fantastic! Best in Sedona!”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

This restaurant lives up to its reputation. We had a fantastic meal! The margaritas are outstanding...try the ginger or Jeff's. Fantastic! The elote appetizer is a must. So good! Our entrees were delicious!. The atmosphere is fun and lively. Kids enjoyed it too! There will likely be a wait but it is well worth it. An absolute must when in Sedona!

• Visited June 2014