“Busy spot, drinks and dinner”
Review of Elote Cafe

Elote Cafe
Ranked #4 of 198 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Austin, Texas
“Busy spot, drinks and dinner”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Wow, we stood in line, outside to order a drink after putting our name on the dining list at this busy, busy spot. It was worth the wait. We sampled the goat cheese enchiladas, lamb shank, relleno, guacamole and the best dish on the menu is the Elote fire roasted corn. We had to order a second one for our table to share. I would return just for that dish alone.

• Visited October 2013

Princeton, NJ
“Really popular and long wait”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is the number one restaurant in Sedona on Yelp so we decided to give it a try. We waited for a solid hour until seated at the bar. The space is really narrow. The food is good, we had the pork shoulder and pork face. Saw other people getting lamb, which looked REALLY good. I took down one star only because of the wait.

Tip: you can get free popcorn while waiting and it tastes good.

La Habra, California
“Sedona legacy restaurant...plan to wait at least 1 hour. DINNER ONLY. NO RESERVATIONS.”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

After asking the locals of a Must Eat recommendation - Elote is what came up.
Elote is a whole in the wall, so dont be discouraged on the outside or interior.

#1 - Elote opens at 5pm for dinner only. Recommend arriving around 4pm to get seated right away. On the day we went, they opened early around 430pm.
otherwise the wait will be 1 hour and they dont have much space to wait. Whole party must be present to be seated. On the positive, they will allow you to leave and come back.

#2 - This is Mexican cuisine, but nothing like traditional Mexican. This is gourmet, delicious.

#3 - service was fantastic. All waiters helped each other out.

#4 - For this being a highly regarded restaurant , the prices were very reasonable for under $20 for each main course (kids menu only $6)

Take the advice from the waiters on what to order as they will provide you with a great recommendation.

Must try the Elote (corn) appetizer.

We were glad we took the time to enjoy this great restaurant. Make sure you do too.

1 Thank ALinCA5512
Randolph, New Jersey
“Interesting Twist on Mexican”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Mexican fare with a European flare. The food and service were very good, The margarita "bar" was "eh" and I did not care for their seating plan. You get there and they make you wait for a table on an outdoor deck, which is probably fine when it is warm out, but it was chilly on the evening we were there. First, they funnel you through this assembly line of a margarita bar thing right at the door. It was pretty weird for a restaurant of that size and caliber. They don't have a real bar where you can sit and order drinks and appetizers. (I happen to prefer wine and found their wine list to be lacking.) Since that bar is literally right in the entryway, it is very crowded with people and busy with servers coming and going through it. Then they give you a tiny bowl of seasoned popcorn and send you out to the deck where you sit and wait for your table. I didn't care for the fact we could not order an appetizer while waiting. Thankfully, it was not long (about 25 minutes) to be seated at a table. We were told average wait times at 6 PM could be an hour or more. Our meal was very good and the choices were interesting. Having some food allergies always makes for a fun evening out, but our server was extremely accomodating and not only made recommendations for me, but was able to get my dinner made to order without the offending dietary items in my dish, which was wonderful and nearly unheard-of in a Mexican restaurant! We had the guacamole and the Elote appetizers and for entrees, the goat cheese enchiladas and smoked pork cheeks. All were very good and I would go back again on my next visit to Sedona.

1 Thank Candy F
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stopped in on a cold Saturday before heading back to Tempe. We arrived a little after they opened at 5 and got on the list for the second round of seating. The expected wait was 45 minutes to an hour with the actual time being almost an hour exactly. We waited in the outside area wrapped up in blankets which were a nice touch especially since I had left my coat in the hotel when we left Tempe that morning. Once seated the service was fast and friendly. They bring chips and salsa to the table to start. We ordered the namesake appetizer which was very good. I ordered the carnitas entree, my wife the chicken mole tacos, and my parents the beef barbacoa tacos. All three were extremely good. Overall I was very impressed by Elote. I can't fault a restaurant because of its popularity so a long wait doesn't change anything.

1 Thank Mubbub