“A special dining experience”
Review of Elote Cafe

Elote Cafe
Ranked #3 of 204 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was staying in Sedona with friends at theirs for two nights, and the second night we went out to dinner. My friend suggested Elote as he felt this was one of the very best dining options in town – and boy was he ever right! But first things first. Elote opens at 5 p.m., and if you want to make the 1st seating you’d better be there and standing in long line prior to opening time. We got there at a few minutes before 5, and the line already extended back dozens of hungry folks. Do NOT let this deter you, but rather serve as proof to the place’s popularity and quality.
There’s a patio in addition to the indoor area, but it was closed that evening due to very strong winds.
The doors were opened promptly at 5, and seating proceeded amazingly swiftly and efficiently. Our personal waitress was Seana, and she was simply delightful, but all the staff attending to us couldn’t possibly have been any friendlier and more attentive.
And then the food … well, it was simply divine. Every bite I had was absolutely delicious. Everything is made from scratch and the produce gets bought locally. I had halibut on a corn patty with rice and black beans, and a mole verde … a dream … and dessert – pumpkin flan – was something else again. My two friends were equally overwhelmed by their own dishes ... only problem was felt we’d have to roll home since we’d eaten every last little scrap, it being so absolutely tasty and delicious. This was a real treat. I’ll certainly go back there when I’m in Sedona again.
Elote is a bit more expensive than your average restaurant here out West, but each bite is worth every cent.

1  Thank Esty666
Write a ReviewReviews (4,484)

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

A local told us about this restaurant, then we looked it up on TA and had to go. Our vacation started on Sunday we settled in and headed to Elote Monday night, they were closed. Bummer, we made due and worked Tuesday into our schedule...
Arrived Tuesday I can't believe it, CLOSED! There it was right on the sign that I didn't read Monday night. Okay back again Wednesday, now my expectations are high. We waited the expected hour and then finally the meal. We ordered the Lamb and Halibit. Let me tell you, the best Lamb we ever had! The Halibit was good as well but you must try the Lamb. Awesome dinner!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The service was very good, the food was too. The place to go for a nice evening out. Mexican entree that is unusual and tasty. We would go again. It is not quiet so don't look for a romantic evening.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Don't be fooled by the outside or location next to a motel...this place is the best Sedona has to offer. Chef Jeff is superb, and often delivers your food to your table himself. I have ordered lamb, chili relleno, and other dishes here, all of them superb. I even bought the Elote cookbook and made the adobo beef at home in my crock pot. Delicious. The Elote apppetizer is a must have, and the Cornbread/Homemade vanilla ice cream dessert is a knockout. It has a name but I can't recall it. They have prickly pear margaritas, and they have many local offerings for beer and wine too.
This is not traditional mexican food, as much as it is "Mexican-inspired" gourmet food. I love coming here when I'm in Sedona.
NOTE: The lines can be long. Even if you get there when they open at 5pm, there is a line waiting to be seated. Worth the wait though. Sit at the bar and have a drink while you wait.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

If after reading all the reviews about how excellent Elote Café is, you may want to experience it for yourself. My wife and I got there at 5:50 pm and the wait time was already 45 minutes. Neither of us were sold on the wait time. After you get your name on the list, you then have the option to wait in another line with the majority of other patrons to get a drink or just go have a seat in the waiting area. Expect to see a variety of margaritas which are a bit pricy. After being sat, a server brought chips and salsa and another took our order from the very short “authentic” Mexican menu. The server was friendly and took the time to explain what we were ordering. The food was well prepared and creative. If you are looking for regular American Mexican food, this is not for you.

Been to Elote Cafe? Share your experiences!