“Belated anniversary dinner”

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Belated anniversary dinner”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We planned this trip to celebrate our 20 Wedding Anniversary...(October). Wonderful meal! Lamb Adobo was succulent and falloff the bone, the pork cheeks were phenomenal...and the Elote! Absolutely wanted to lick the bowl clean ( and may get an order to go for a snack ). Wonderful food and wonderful service!

1 Thank Amanda K

“FANTABULOUS!!! From start to finish”
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

This is the best meal I have had in the last 6 months or possibly more! It did not come cheap, but oh man was it worth it. We started off with the 'Elote' for an appetizer. I want to buy the chef's cookbook just for that recipe alone! Then I got the Pork Cheeks and my wife got the Carne Asada. Both were amazing. If my travels ever bring me back through Sedona I will definitely eat here again.

1 Thank lmari535
Canon City
“Great Carne Asada”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My first encounter with Carne Asada was in San Carlos Senora where my parents lived. That gave me a standard to judge by. Now Elote's Carne Asada is not the norm. It is a thicker cut of wonderful steak served in a sauce that added great flavors and highlights to the steak. But what really set it off was the blue cheese that it was topped with. It definitely gave a whole new twist to my favorite.
My friend had the Carnitas and raved about it as well.
Now plan accordingly. We arrived at about 6:30 pm on a Saturday night and it was a 45 minute wait so we grabbed a couple of beers and found a table out on the patio to wait. It was a little less than 45 minutes since we said we would take anything available whether bar or restaurant. As we left at close to 9 pm there was still a waiting line but it was definitely worth the wait.

1 Thank wildcatllamas
San Jose CA
“Food is good - But it takes more than good food to create a pleasant dining experience”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Elote which has always been a favorite of my family and friends has really disappointed the last few times we have been there --- food is good, not as great as I once thought it was but that is probably because menu hasn't really changed a lot since we've been going there (about 4 years).
My biggest complaint is that they no longer serve on the patio, they give you ridiculous excuses like "weather isn't good or weather is too hot, etc. etc. when it is beautiful outside". And if you are really unlucky they seat you in the "other" room which has about as much ambiance as, what it probably is, a motel breakfast room!!! I have a suggestion -- make up a better lie --- tell your patrons that the patio has structural damage and is unsafe --- that is a lot easier to swallow than bad excuses you currently use. And they will feel sorry for you instead of angry that you won't let them set outside.
Elote has let its' reputation go to its' head and I for one will opt for a place where food may be a little more ordinary (steak/seafood/pizza/etc.) but has an outdoor patio or window view that blows you away. And I'll encourage my family and friends to do the same. Sedona is so beautiful, we live there part of the year and have been visiting there since year 2000 and never tire of being out in the open with all the beautiful red rock views. If you don't care about the view - then you have lost all your taste anyway and might as well eat someplace where you don't have to wait so long and don't have to risk setting in the motel breakfast room!

I 100% agree with another reviewer who said:
"My last disappointment was the fact that the patio was shut down. The front patio with the fantastic views is the highlight of eating there. When I asked a waiter why, he responded "well the chef walks out there every night right before dinner service and if the wind blows his hair at all, he shuts it down." Huh? I can tell you the night we were went there was barely a breeze. I would have gladly sat outside. That may have improved my mood a bit that night after the experience we had. Sorry to give you such a bad review Elote, but I think all the hype is going to your head. I probably won't be coming back on our next visit."

3 Thank Ruielu
NC
“Try the smoked pork cheeks!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I came here from the recommendation of our bed and breakfast hostess, and she described it as run by a chef who was trained outside of the area, but has learned to put a first rate twist on the local flavor by making it way better than the basic southwest fare. We agree that it was top notch food! The atmosphere is casual, and we were warned about the wait, but got lucky and were seated quickly. My husband tried the margarita flight, and the waiter was quite accommodating by recommending the best one for me since I am diabetic. We also had a nice surprise to run into some old friends from home, and the staff quickly moved us to sit with them. The smoked pork cheeks are the best!! I have never tasted anything quite like them . . . exceptional flavor and perfect portion. We also ordered a goat cheese cheesecake to go that was amazing. Very reasonable prices for what you get . . . highly recommended!

1 Thank Kelrobin

Been to Elote Cafe? Share your experiences!