“A really great experience”
Review of Evening Sky Tours

Evening Sky Tours
Ranked #36 of 93 Tours in Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: Professional Astronomers host you for an evening of stargazing using giant telescopes and laser pointers. Chairs and blankets are provided. View Saturn, Mars, Jupiter, galaxies and more. Tours start at 8:30 p.m.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was like going to a planetarium to see a show, but it is outside and you are really there. We had a beautiful, though cold night. After meeting us at the parking area, we walked to the middle of the soccer chair where captain's chairs were set up, each with a blanket. They let us know that they had parka's if we got too cold, and I did end up using one. They were very prepared for anything. The guide was very knowledgeable, and as he talked about the stars and constellations he would use a very powerful laser pointer to show us exactly what he was talking about. After a good 30 to 40 minute talk, we all had opportunities and ample time to look through two telescopes at different astronomical wonders. After we all had a chance to look through each telescope at a different wonder, we would sit again as the guide explained what we would be seeing next. I've never seen binary stars, the Andromeda galaxy, etc., etc.

I was very impressed with their knowledge, how they conducted the evening, and how they thought of everything that would keep all of us comfortable. This was an experience I never had before, and might be the kind of experience that you could only have in a place like Sedona, one of the darkest places in the U.S.

1  Thank Duzlaps

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

My family of 5 booked a tour for once night. There was a larger than normal group due to previous cloudy nights. Because of the size of the group, one daughter and I were not able to view Saturn before it disappeared in the horizon. My wife sent an email to Cliff to let him know about it (sounds like not a big deal, but when you hear most of the group describing Saturn with such excitement, you can't help feeling you missed something wonderful). Cliff called my wife within a couple of hours to apologize and refunded our money. He also told her to let them know the next time we come to Sedona because they would take care of us. AMAZING customer service! You just don't see that in this day and age. No wonder they are so highly rated!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We went on this tour with our two teenagers. I probably would not take kids younger than 8. Matt was our tour guide and did a great job. He was personable, spoke clearly and had a wealth of information to share. The moon was out the night we went so it was hard to see the milky way but we got to see very clear images of the moon surface and many other things. Saturn through the telescope...wow! Our group was small...8 people so there was a lot of opportunities to ask questions. Matt was very patient with all questions and the fact that the tour provided chairs and blankets was a real plus. Would definitely do this again and I thought it was worth the money for this level of expertise in a tour guide.

2  Thank LoudounHousewife
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to do the Evening Sky Tour on a whim last night after arriving in Sedona. This informational star gazing tour takes place on a grassy field near the Valley Verde School. We were greeted by our guide Niles who led us to the field where chairs and blankets were lined up, along with a telescope and binoculars. His passion for astronomy is evident, as he was very informative, friendly and helpful. However, the full moon last night made it difficult for us to see several stars/planets.

The entire tour took about an hour and a half. Make sure to dress warmly because it gets very cold on the field. I was freezing despite dressing in layers and gloves! They provide two blankets which was nice, but it was still very cold. Bathrooms aren't available, so also make sure you use the restroom before arriving. Overall it was a nice experience but I think the $60 fee is quite high. Make sure you choose the right night to visit, otherwise you may miss out on seeing several stars/planets.

3  Thank MaximusGuinness
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a great star gazing experience this week. We had a beautiful clear night with Matt as our guide. He was very knowledgeable and easy going. We were able to see Jupiter and Saturn with four moons and the rings. Matt also pointed out many constellations with a laser pointer and told the Greek myths they are named after. The coyotes and pups also were very vocal and that was pretty cool too. It is a great way to spend an evening in Sedona!