“Wow!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 158 things to do in Sedona
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Went here with the kids for spring break and loved it! Gorgeous and fun. Great place to hike with the kids and we found a place we could buy food and feed the fish! Just plain fun and beautiful. Next time we will plan more time to enjoy the canyon and maybe come in the summer for slide rock! Worth the trip.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,322)

Reviewed April 1, 2013

After reading all of the reviews of the 179 out of Sedona, I was excited to add it to my list of things to do. Perhaps I shouldn't have saved it until the end of the trip? Sure, there were pretty views, and we probably should have stopped along the way at Chapel of the Holy Cross or one of the other sites. Oh, well--that leaves us something to look forward to seeing next time.

For a purely gorgeous scenic view, take 89 from Flagstaff to Sedona. You'll thank me later!!!

1  Thank casademccollem
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is one of the most stunningly beautiful drives in the country. Thank goodness for the many pull off areas where you can get out and just be amazed at the beauty surrounding you. As the sun moves in the sky, the colors pop in different areas of the rock. If you are in Arizona and have the time, a drive on 179 to Sedona is a must do!

4  Thank jv50
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I'm not sure how anyone could miss this byway during a visit to Sedona as it winds through much of the city. It's one of the most scenic drives I've ever experienced! With each turn you encounter a different gorgeous view. Be sure to check out places along the route such as the Chapel of the Holy Cross (for beautiful architecture and panoramic views) and Bell Rock (if you're looking for a simple and easy hike). Take caution yielding when necessary at the many roundabouts and pay attention to the speed limits. Rumor has it the local police are quick to catch speeding tourists.

6  Thank sdmorrison
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I don't usually use all caps in my reviews or in any of my writing, but this drive is fabulous. We drove to Sedona from the south, Scottsdale to be specific. We just happened to stop at the Red Rock Ranger Station in Coconino National Forest on 179. As has been my experience with National Park Service staff in the past, we found the most helpful volunteer who provided us with a detailed map of the entire Sedona area. He took the time to mark specific spots we should stop to enjoy the view or to hike. Everything he said was absolutely true! Without this stop, I'm sure we would have wasted our day not knowing what we were seeing.

Parking at some of the stops on this scenic drive is limited and you need a "Red Rock Pass" ($5, available at the ranger stations) is required to park and hike at most areas along SR 179. We donated $10 because we felt the information we got from the volunteer was worth way more than that. While this is a byway, you'll miss most of what this drive has to offer is you don't get out of the car and enjoy the view!

7  Thank ChillinandRelaxin