“Disappointed Local”

and up
Sedona Red Rock Highlights Jeep Tour Including Cathedral Rock
Ranked #3 of 94 Tours in Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: Red Rock Western Jeep Tours has been Arizona’s leading “Original Cowboy Tour Company” for over 30 years. We offer thrilling and scenic jeep tours, horseback rides and group events. Experience Old West Hospitality on a 4x4 rugged Jeep Tour. With many spectacular Tours to choose from, you can select just the right experience! Also check out our adventurous Grand Canyon Tours from Sedona.
Sedona, Arizona
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Disappointed Local”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Every now and then I venture out here at home as a tourist, partly to have fun, partly to know what to recommend to my visitors. I bought a Groupon to do the Canyons and Cowboys tour. We did not go into any canyons, only surrounded by them off in the distance. We drove to the cabin which was not all that much to look at, but was moderately interesting, and there were no cowboys unless you count a tour guide dressed up as one. The guide was nice, but not what I've experienced with the other tour company that is the leader in town. I am definitely a Pink person, not Red.

1 Thank E S
Robert D, Manager at Red Rock Jeep Tours, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We regret you didn't have a better experience on our tour, and hope you will take advantage of our "value back" guarantee. Come back and try it again, and this one is on us.We do have a number of tours and I'm sure we could find one in a corner of Sedona you haven't seen yet.

Indonesia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not worth the time or money”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

After hearing the big sell how they were the only company allowed to tour Soldier Pass area (I think that's the name of the area) and how great it supposedly was, we signed up for their "premiere" package. Since this was supposedly so exclusive, this is the most expensive tour (on a per hour basis) at $69 for 1.5 hours. We asked about the other tours they offer, but were basically told by several different people at the concierge at our hotel, and from the Red Rock Jeep people themselves, that we should do the Soldier Pass Tour. We were told the 1.5 hours was just the "off road" portion and didn't include the pick up and drop off at our hotel.

Here was the reality: It was barely over an hour, and it was anything but exclusive, though it is true that they are the only Jeep tour company allowed in that area. However, we saw hikers, bikers, and ATV's in our short time there, and we probably could have covered the same ground in the same amount of time just hiking it. In fact, I would have rather hiked it. They took us to a big sinkhole, which was interesting, but after going hiking on my own for several days in the Sedona area, I was pretty disappointed how lame this tour turned out to be, since I could have easily just driven my rental car there myself, parked, and EASILY hiked to the areas we saw. As I mentioned, I would've much rather done that. I mean, I guess it was kind of cool doing that in a Jeep, but I've been 4-wheelin' before, so it wasn't all that special to me. And the fact that it wasn't even the full 1.5 hours like they promised just further made it lame. We MAYBE went 1.5 - 2 miles in the Jeep off road, like I said, an easy hike.

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of tours to begin with, but my wife is, which is why we went in teh first place. But even she, after we got back, was the first to say when I asked her what she thought, said, "Well that wasn't worth the money."

On the plus side, our driver, Bill, was very knowledgeable and did do a great job, so nothing against him. I just thought the tour itself was WAY oversold and very misleading, especially the fact that it wasn't even 1.5 hours.

3 Thank packgrad2000
Robert D, Manager at Red Rock Jeep Tours, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We hope you will come back and take advantage of our value-back guarantee. We have tours in more remote areas, and depending on the time of year and elevation it's completely different. Contact us before your next visit to Sedona and give us a chance to change your mind.
Southwest
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great experience but hidden charges”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Yesterday, we took the Red Rock Jeep tour in Sedona. We have 9 and 13-year old sons. It's hard to find something to please both of them, but they loved it. We took the sunset time slot which is also a beautiful time of day to go. Great guide (thanks, Mary) and beautiful views. We took the "Cowboy and Canyons" ride. Be prepared for a lot of bumps - fun for us (especially our sons) but not for anyone who is pregnant or has back or neck issues. Also, remember to bring your own water. No other food or drink is allowed.
If you want to stop to take a photo, just ask the driver to stop.
We are from Arizona but learned so much about the local wildlife, plants and even landmarks.
This is a VERY dusty ride. If you have asthma or breathing difficulties, probably not a good idea. A fashion tip: do NOT wear white or light colors. Do wear sunscreen!

The experience once in the Jeep gets a 5 star BUT the customer service, etc. gets the 3 -star overall rating. Here's why:
You pay for a 2 hour sunset tour. BUT if they are picking up other riders at their hotel, this will cut-into your time by at least 20 minutes and shorten the time you watch the sunset from the Jeep. My bigger frustration: I purchased this on Deal Chicken. Once we arrived to check in, the Jeep Tours Company wanted to charge an ADDITIONAL $6.33 PER PERSON for "taxes" - adding nearly $28 to our cost. This is absolutely not true. The price of a kids' ride is less than adults and the $6.33 is much higher than going tax rate. This was also not mentioned on the online coupon deal or when I booked our tour. I refused to pay and they called the owner while we stood and waited. The office people were not happy with me but i was not about to pay an additional "tax" without any warning. We did tip at the end of our ride, but we prepared to cough up at least another $20 - 50 for that.

With all that being said... you have all the tips you need to have fun and see Sedona in a unique way!

2 Thank thebearscout
Robert D, Manager at Red Rock Jeep Tours, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
We have requested that this review be removed because the complaint is between Deal Chicken and the guest, not with Red Rock Western Jeep Co. The guest failed to note the contract with Deal Chicken that states, "Deal Chicken does not pay the taxes; and that it is the responsibility of the vendor to secure them" in this case, Red Rock Western Jeep tour.

The guest was correct in stating that our Reservation Staff member called our owner to resolve the issue; what she failed to mention is that we did not charge her the tax. Taxes that Red Rock Western Jeep did incur. She apparently was very happy with the tour and her guide, and rated the tour - 5 star. So her only real issue, which she highlighted in the Heading of her post, was the unpaid taxes.
Lubbock, Texas
“Adventure well worth the time and money!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I had a great time on our Red Rock jeep tour with Tumbleweed! He made it very interesting and knew a lot about the area! We would defiantly do it again the next time we are in the area!

Penfield, New York
“Red Rock Vortexs With Mark Willner”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I were recently in Sedona on vacation. We booked a Red Rock Vortex Tour with Mark Willner as our guide. It was a great learning experience and we had a lot of fun! Mark was very knowledgeable about the energies surrounding the Red Rock Formations and about the Hopi Indians that inhabited the Sedona area. Mark was very kind and we learned so much from him. We will be back to experience the beautiful area again and also to experience the peaceful energy and wonderful people who seem to also be attracted to Sedona. We highly recommend Sedona, the Red Rock Vortex Tours and Mark!
Linda and Jack

Visited April 2013

Been to Red Rock Jeep Tours? Share your experiences!