“Only the best!”
Review of Star Motel

Star Motel
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed July 13, 2014

The Star Motel is the BEST place to stay in Sedona, centrally located, affordable, clean and quiet. Anne is kind, helpful and knowledgeable and will happily provide you with the information you need. I found the location was very convenient for walking to restaurants, shopping and site seeing. I cant say enough about the Star Motel, it was exactly what I was looking for, I am confident you will think so as well.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Intwinedumela
lulapineflat, Owner at Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2014

Hi Intwinedumela,
I thank you for writing a review for the motel. It was a pleasure meeting you and I hope that when you are back in the area, visiting family, we will see you again.
Anne

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was tempted to give this motel 3 stars because--quite frankly--everything about it was "average." But, the value and the warm welcome by the people who work there ultimately made it a "very good" experience.

Let's start with the excellent: For $80 a night for a small single room in season was by far the best deal in Sedona. It irked me that these horrible chains wanted to charge me $150 for a 1-2 star room. This was the most reasonable option. You can't make a reservation online, which was frustrating, but they were very helpful in responding to my queries. And, when I let them know that I was might be arriving past closing time (8pm), they could not have been nicer. I arrived in time to see someone at the front desk, and she helped me out with a map and suggestions about attractions, which did not disappoint. Finally, the motel is one of the only ones directly downtown (or what Sedona calls "uptown"). This is less important in a place like Sedona that is so spread out (you'll need a car for most sights and restaurants). That said, being able to walk to Starbucks in the morning to get a cup of coffee and drop off the car at night and walk to get a night cap was very, very convenient.

The less attractive qualities of the motel? The room was clean enough (the carpet was a bit dirty), but it looked--well--like a dated motel room... and the tv didn't work so well: few channels and a remote that didn't work (although with free wifi, that was okay with me). And here is the "deal" with a motel of this sort: if the tv doesn't work at night or such, there is no one to come over and fix it. I think they have an "emergency" number, but a broken tv doesn't seem to qualify as such. The walls--though cinder block--seemed rather thin. I'm not uber crazy about noise (having grown up in Manhattan), but it seemed--from the noise--that the quality of the guests was questionable. The first night the room in back of me seemed to be having a party (no clue how they got so many people in there to drum up that much noise). The second night, I awoke at midnight to some man screaming (very loudly): "don't [expletive] touch me--get away from me." It was alarming. Quite frankly if a woman had been screaming this, or if the man continued to scream, I would have called the cops. It quieted down, so I just checked to make sure my door was locked and went back to bed.

So, if location and budget are key for you, this is your place. If you have a bit more money to spend, you might want to consider some other options.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank GlobalPuppy
Reviewed July 1, 2014

First thing to say is Anne was a delight. Before and during our stay. I regret not staying more than one night as I would happily have chatted to her more.

Our room, right next to reception, so with parking right off the street and outside our door, was spacious, clean and comfortable. No complaints whatsoever.

The price was excellent. (And, being so close to reception, wifi signal was great!)

The motel is yards off the main street so popping out for a stroll, dinner or drinks is as easy as could be.

We enjoyed our first trip to Sedona a lot and if we ever come back I see no reason (unless our finances have dramatically changed) why the Star Motel won't be our only choice.

Room Tip: We had room 6 and no complaints.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LDN_2009
Reviewed June 26, 2014

a very clean well equipped motel in the center of Sedona. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, they provided me with accurate information on all the attractions in and around Sedona. can't wait to go back for a longer stay.

Room Tip: ask for the upper level with a great view
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank deb h
Reviewed June 21, 2014

the motel is old but clean; Ann was very kind and helpful before and at my arrival: I did not see her after that. I asled where I could get coffee early in the morning and they provided a coffee machine, but the second day the cup was not washed and no coffee was added. The motel is in the centre of "old" Sedona. expensve for what you get but Sedona is expensive (it seems all the wortexes don't make the people less greedy...)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank ElisadeA
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We were driving through Arizona and called to make a short notice reservation. The clerk Sue stayed and waited on us as 89 was closed due to a forest fire, and we had to come from the other end. Stayed 3 nights. Rooms clean, good service and right down town where we could walk in the evening and the view from our room was breath taking. Had coffee on the little porch outside our room. It wasn't like a reg. Motel, more like a little vacation suite.

Room Tip: They have one bed and two bed rooms. We had room 8
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Martha K
Reviewed May 13, 2014

we thought of staying overnight but stayed for four days. The hospitality from the people in charge was brilliant. Good location, would happily stay again. The room (6) was small but pleasant, clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: If there are more than two people ask for the suite. Two bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and lounge. Del...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple