“Motel Really is a Star!”
Review of Star Motel

Star Motel
Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Los Angeles, California
“Motel Really is a Star!”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

On a last minute decision to overnight in Sedona weren't expecting much from the budget motels. Wrong! The owner Anne very graciously discounted the rate on her last available spot - the apartment suite! We travel ALOT and rate this apartment as one of the nicest. It was spotless with two bedrooms, large living room w/fireplace, kitchen very well-appointed (yes, a proper kettle for Brits) and all the comforts of home with a central town location. We were driving cross-country and sad to stay only one night but will definitely return and follow Anne's great suggestions for the area. Many thanks, Adrienne

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Allen Park, Michigan
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great location and a great value. Anne Des Rosier certainly knows how to make her guest feel welcome. She is a treasure of knowledge about the area, Anne offered great tips on where dine for dinner as well as breakfast. When asked where we might buy a bottle of wine, she pointed us in the right direction and immediatley provided us with proper wine glasses. The rooms where very fresh and clean. Thank you Anne for a wonderful time. C'est tres bien!
Paul and Shirley , Allen Park MI

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paul m
lulapineflat, Owner at Star Motel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Paul and Shirley,
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Star. I hope to see you here again, I will have your wine glasses ready!
Vista, California
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have traveled the world and Anne Des Rosier is the most hospitable, friendly and informative hostess & owner I ever met! Besides feeling like I've known Anne all my life, Anne made my wife & I feel like privileged guests; Anne really CARES about her guests and her business. Anne gave us great info & tips including all the surrounding historic & fun sites. Anne also introduced us to her lovely mother Marcel who originally bought the motel during her first visit (great story!). And as far as the motel goes, it has it all: best central location, clean refurbished and quaint rooms, great value.....and did I mention the great hospitality!? Sedona was named after Sedona Schnebly who is "celebrated for her hospitality and industriousness". I have a feeling Anne emulates Sedona, both the town and its namesake who I'm sure would be very proud! Thank you Anne & Marcel.
Ron & Rolina (Carol) Beattie, Vista CA

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ron B
lulapineflat, Owner at Star Motel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Wow, do you know how to make a business owners day! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay (and my hospitality) so much. It was truly a pleasure to meet you, Carol and Ron.

Thanks for the comparison to Sedona Schnebly, she and her husband had an 11 room house that was often run like a hotel, we have more in common than I had realized!

Hope to see you soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Star Motel recently for several nights. While the price is low for this part of Sedona (close to shops, art galleries etc.), it was definitely a case of "you get what you pay for". I had seen the interior photos before booking, so I wasn't expecting too much, but seeing and then experiencing those concrete block walls are two different things. It certainly does have that "jail block" feel. The room was clean and the bed exceptionally comfortable. I only wish we could have slept more to have enjoyed it. This was totally impossible from the noise from cars parking right at your door in the middle of the night, guests talking and smoking at your door, the very loud music from neighboring restaurants, the garbage trucks emptying the trash every morning, and the airconditioner which was as loud as a jumbo jet (so much for their new quiet models!). Turn off the aircon and open the window, and the outside noises are even louder, and you do feel a bit vulnerable being right on the street.

My wallet might have benefited from a stay here, but if you are so tired during the day from lack of sleep that you cannot enjoy your holilday in Sedona, then it is just not worth it. The room also has a microwave, but no tea or coffee making facilities. Bathroom small but clean. No one mans the office until about 9 am, and from about 7 or 8 in the evening. Too bad if you need assistance.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra, and stay somewhere else - off the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank irishgypseyrover
lulapineflat, Owner at Star Motel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Irishgypseyrover,
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Star. I wish that you had let us know, so that we could have refunded you and you could have found accommodation elsewhere. Customer satisfaction is of utmost importance to us.
North Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

I stopped at Star Motel to get rate info in anticipation of my next trip to Sedona. It is a lovely little place just off the main drag; caught my eye because of the lovely chocolate facade & Tiffany blue room doors. And because the sign says *Motel. Thought that was cute. And the location is so close to everything walkable -- minus a steep uphill climb or coordination of shuttle.

The proprietors, Anne and Marcelle were wonderfully helpful and pleasant. They told me about Sedona and the all happenings throughout the year, little treasures about town, music festivals, the copper mining town-turned artist colony a little distance south named Jerome...if I'd not already paid for my lodging down the road, I certainly would've packed up my stuff and spent a much better night at the Star Motel (my hotel was under construction. Jackhammers at 9:30 am...right).

I got lost on my way to the Thai restaurant later on that evening; Anne was still at the front desk and readily assisted me in finding the right route (I definitely wouldn't have been able to find it at night, walking).

The customer service alone is reason to stay at Star. I prefer to stay in places that are clean, quaint, have some uniqueness about them, are unpretentious, and where the quality and value is high. All of these attributes are evident in this establishment's customer service. Can't wait to return to Sedona...as a guest of Star Motel.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank ShayNC
lulapineflat, Owner at Star Motel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
ShayNC,
It was a pleasure meeting you. It's fun to meet enthusiastic travelers, on their first time visit to Sedona, and share a bit of our insider knowledge of the area. There is so much to do and see here -I look forward to having you as a guest at the Star next time you visit!
See you soon
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Very good location near to shops and restaurants. Owner is very helpfull ! Nature is awesome and people are friendly where ever you go. Will be back !

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
lulapineflat, Owner at Star Motel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Hi Steve V,
Glad that you enjoyed your visit to Sedona and your stay at the Star Motel. Thanks for the review, it is appreciated!
Florida
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Perfect location for walking to shops and restaurants. Not fancy, but basic and adequate for our 1-night stay. Only complaint was the air conditioner which was loud and continually cycled on and off, kept waking us up.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Star Motel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Hi lovestotravel,
I am very sorry that you were disturbed during the night...
The good news is that the air conditioners are being replaced with new HVAC units as I type!
I hope that the next time you are in Sedona you will choose stay with us again for a cool (or warm), peaceful sleep in the heart of Sedona.