“Great food - don't miss the Prickly Pear margarita!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Rincon Restaurante Mexicano

El Rincon Restaurante Mexicano
Ranked #44 of 190 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: El Rincon Restaurant Mexicano offers “Arizona Style” Mexican cuisine - a blending of traditional Mexican with southwestern Navajo influences. Created in 1976, El Rincon is one of Sedona’s most recommended and visited restaurants. Having served over 3.5 million guests, El Rincon is loved by locals and tourists alike with many repeat visits the custom.El Rincon features:• “Arizona Style” Mexican Cuisine• World Famous Margaritas• Family Friendly Service• Indoor and Patio SeatingEl Rincon's favorite specialties are the hand rolled Chimichangas. Each one is hand rolled with sopapilla masa folded around your choice of beef, chicken, shrimp or chili and beans, then deep fried and served with your choice of red or green enchilada sauce, rice and beans or guacamole salad. For an added treat try our dessert Chimichangas: chocolate cherry, apple, peach, and more. Also try our Navajo Pizza made with sopapilla crust. The menu includes all your favorite traditional Mexican dishes such as, tacos, enchiladas, burritos, tamales and chili rellenos. We use local grown all natural ingredients made fresh daily, free range chicken and beef, no preservatives, no lard ever!El Rincon’s Margaritas are famous too. “It’s the homemade sweet & sour that makes them so good,” says Demetrio Wagner, founder and owner. “Just add your favorite tequila,” added Demetrio. Popular flavors include prickly pear, strawberry, peach, jalapeño, and coconut.El Rincon's open lunch and dinner, seating first come, first served for lunch with reservations accepted for dinner starting at 5 pm.El Rincon is complemented by the exceptional amenities of Tlaquepaque Village, including art galleries, jewelry shops, picturesque hallways, colorful flowers, and giant sycamore trees with enchanting courtyards.
Kennesaw
“Great food - don't miss the Prickly Pear margarita!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

We were referred to Tlaquepaque by someone local and I found El Rincon online while researching the village further. Our food was wonderful and portions were more than adequate. I had the Prickly Pear margarita which was bright pink and really tasty - the color and flavor were all natural. My chile relleno coated with blue corn chips was one of the best I've ever had. If in Sedona again for a few days, I think we would visit El Rincon that trip too.

• Czech first
Philomath, Oregon
“Not so great and really pricey”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

When we travel, I normally make a list of interesting restaurants before we leave. This time, we tried El Rincon on a whim. I’d been reading a mystery series set on the Navajo reservation, and I saw an advertisement about El Rincon having Navajo food, and I wanted to try it. Boy, were we disappointed.

El Rincon is in Tlaquepaque Arts and Crafts Village – South end. Parking can be convenient – right outside – if you remember to turn in the correct entrance. The restaurant is small, but since we arrived for dinner on the early side, we had no trouble being seated outside on the patio – weather was perfect.

Ambiance: Outdoor patio seating at El Rincon was okay but by no means exceptional. The area is small and surrounded by a hedge, so there’s no view. Beyond the hedge is the parking lot, so you’ll have noise and some gasoline fumes. It wasn’t bad, but don’t go there for the ambiance.

Service: Fine. Not great. Just fine. I don’t think the waitress even cracked a smile. And I don’t understand why they make a show of pouring their salsa from a carafe into two, small, single-serving sized containers to put on the table.

Food: Some of the worst Mexican Food I’ve ever had. I was born, raised, and still live in Southern California, so I’ve had Mexican food for over 50 years. This was pitiful and expensive. The salsa did not taste fresh and wasn’t much different than what you can find jarred at the grocery store.

We ordered a Navajo Pizza to share (the only Navajo item on the menu despite the advertisement). The medium size was perfect for two people and it was GREAT. Unlike most pizzas, the crust was made from sopapilla dough, so it was light and crunchy and the toppings were generous and fresh. I really wished we had stopped there.

I made the mistake of ordering a flauta. A blue cornmeal flauta. $6. One flauta. The tortilla was so hard, I could barely eat it. The beef filling, although generous, was bland. It was more like an oversized taquito. Husband had a pair of machaca soft tacos. He also thought the filling was very underseasoned. I also had a prickly-pear margarita – supposedly, their specialty. It was SMALL and $10.

Would we go back to El Rincon? Probably. But I’d only order the Navajo Pizza and some iced tea. If I wanted to have Mexican Food in Sedona, I’d probably try the west side area since that’s where the locals live. Live and learn…

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Levittown, Pennsylvania
“Great Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I ate here on November 1st. I had two soft tacos, one with shreaded chicken and one with shreaded beef. Very good place. We ate on the porch.

Visited November 2013
illinois
“El rincon”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were recommended to this restaurant. Was not impressed. The food was adequate, not great, very bland with poor presentation. Did not look all that good when plates set out for us. Poor service, had to ask for silverware, napkins refills of water.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Tampa, Florida
“Good mexican food -organic and organic margaritas!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I am not a huge Mexican foodie, but it was good, but the organic drinks were very good. Not sicky sweet margaritas, which I liked.

Visited October 2013

Been to El Rincon Restaurante Mexicano? Share your experiences!