“Just Ok - Nothing Special”

Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Wasn't too impressed with this hotel after a recent weekend getaway stay. The Hubs and I decided last minute to spend a weekend in Sedona and scoured the internet for a good deal. After looking for several days for a deal, we settled on the Sedona Rouge based on how nice the hotel looked for the price. I did feel the "resort" fee was a bit excessive considering this really isn't a resort. I'm pretty sure they only can call it that since there is a restaurant on site as well as spa facilities, but oh well.

When we arrived we asked for a room with a view of the rocks, but none were available. We were put in a room overlooking the near by houses and it was pretty disappointing (as far as the view is concerned). The "balcony" is a joke. It's basically a window the has a sliding glass door. The room was pretty clean and spacious. The air conditioning unit was very loud and made all sorts of funny sounds. One of our lights didn't work (the one in the hallway). We were disappointed that there wasn't a tub in the bathroom, but I found the shower to be very nice with the rain-type shower head. The extra amenities they provide were also nice and generous.

The location to town is good, only about a five minute drive. Being close to Safeway and other food options is also nice, but it was a bit odd. All in all, I can't say we'll be back. There are a lot of options in Sedona and I'd probably opt to try something different next time. Set your expectations for a Holiday Inn or Courtyard Marriott when arriving at Sedona Rouge.

1  Thank travelfoodie1018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,572)

Reviewed January 23, 2014

This was my second stay, the first was wonderful, nice and peaceful. We love the food at Reds. This time service was terrible, waitress had an attitude and we missed the ambiance we had the last time.

We decided to use the spa for the first time. The spa was really nice! Only issue was we asked for a late check out to accommodate the spa appointments. The spa opens at 10AM, check out is 11AM. They gave an hour but warned we would be charged $55 per hour after. Not very appealing to use the spa when your stressed about the room.

Guess I would suggest skipping the spa or checking out before you use the spa. This left me tense so I kind of wasted my money on the spa. I don't think I will stay here next time or eat at Reds. But the spa was great. Ask for Dina!

Room Tip: Looking at the red rocks
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Very pleasant staff. Upon checking in we were offered the Hot Apple Cider. Very fitting for a chilly afternoon. The restaurant at the hotel called Reds was such a pleasure to be at. Fanastic menu and music by piano. Very relaxing atmosphere and there was no one rushing you out the door. Very clean and cozy room and beautiful view of the mountains! Great location close to the the town. Definitely will return on our next visit!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy C
ed_conwayCornvilleAZ, General Manager at Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Cindy,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I was delighted to hear your feedback.

I hope that you get the opportunity to visit us again very soon.

Warm Regards,

Ed Conway

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff. They went out of their way to help our 2 night stay be as lovely as possible. We booked thru a travel agency and the only way we could book was by taking what ever room they had available once we checked in, which was a one queen bed and we needed 2 queen beds. We informed them of this and they brought us an inflatable mattress and were very apologetic (even though it wasn't their fault). The very next morning they called our room to let us know that a 2 queen room was available. The Bellman came to help us move all our things into the new room. The views from the room were spectacular. We enjoyed the fire pit at night to relax after the hiking. We were here for Christmas Eve and Christmas their menu at the restaurant was delicious and they gave us 2 coupons for a free appetizer at check in. Thank you for making this stay memorable for our family.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Barbara on the evening shift was great booking our stay via phone while driving to Sedona. She greeted us with a smile and very courteous upon our arrival.
The rooms where great, nice size and clean. We had a view of the mountains from our sliding glass doors and deck. The staff was very helpful answering any questions we had regarding the hotel and area.
I would recommend the hotel and would stay there when I come back to Sedona.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms located back of hotel not facing parking lot.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 15, 2014

A recent two-night stay at the Sedona Rouge left us feeling relaxed and recharged. The friendly staff allowed us to check in early, and our room was perfect! Our first-floor room (104) opened off the open air lobby, and we also had a small private enclosed courtyard with access to the pool. The room was spacious and well-appointed; the staff were extremely helpful, and the restaurant was excellent. We thought the rate was very reasonable. Although located on a main thoroughfare, once inside the atmosphere is restful and quiet. And other reviews are right, the upstairs deck provides an incredible sunset view!!

Room Tip: We were asked if we wanted to look at a particular room before checking in--ask if you can preview a...
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This hotel does not have an upscale appearance, but is very nice. The restaurant, REDS, is terrific. The spa is also quite nice. I would highly recommend that you be sure you are guaranteed a room that is not facing the parking lot and street. These rooms have no privacy so curtains have to remain closed and you can hear the traffic. The pool area is nice enough and staff attentive and friendly. I was assured a room on upper level which was not delivered. I think the hotel is a bit overpriced for what it delivers, but certainly well located and a reasonable choice given the limited choices in Sedona. My complaints were acknowledged by management and I am promised a better room, should one be available, if I stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple