“The Rouge Has Faded”

Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Rouge (Red) has faded, indeed, and it is very poor value now. The outdoor furniture is peeling, the cement is cracking and the elevators are just plain dirty. The decor in the rooms is so electic & the artwork so bad you would think you were at a swapmeet. For $250 plus my room looked out on another room just a few feet away with no sight of the beautiful red rocks of Sedona and absolutely no privacy. The dark, tiny closet held their ironing board, 2 robes and left space for 4 hangers at most. Want to enjoy your coffee on a elevated patio with views in the A.M.? Forget it; its closed. The only saving grace was a strong shower but who cares. I won't be back.

1  Thank Camille H
ed_conwayCornvilleAZ, General Manager at Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Camille,
I appreciate you taking time to provide us feedback. I see from your Expedia one night reservation that you requested a quiet room in the back of the property. Our 3rd floor east wing is very quiet area which we felt would be a perfect room. The observation deck in open daily from 7am till 11pm for guest to enjoy the red rock view of Thunder Mountain.

I would be happy to discuss further with you as we would love to have you return again,

My direct line at the hotel is 928 340 5304 and or my email is econway@sedonarouge.com

Sincerely
Ed Conway

Write a ReviewReviews (1,560)

Reviewed June 15, 2013

After a work convention in Vegas this January, my husband and I rented a car and drove to Sedona. The drive itself was nice and not too long (4-5 hours, depending on stops), and pretty soon we were at the Sedona Rouge. We stayed in a Premier Sedona room, which at that time of year was a great price and well worth the extra few bucks. The room looked pretty much as advertised online, and the gas fireplace and huge walk-in shower were awesome to come back to every night. The bed was very comfortable, and that room was quite spacious. I also enjoyed the hand-cut soaps and quality shampoo, conditioner, and lotion they provided. I rarely ever use hotel products because they're often of poor quality, but these were obtained from a local company and were surprisingly good.

This isn't the kind of place where they go out of their way to pamper you, but it was clean, comfortable, well-located, and all of the staff members we encountered were helpful. One of the neat features about the hotel is that you can take an inexpensive yoga class on-site every morning if you choose to. I only had the time to go once, but I was lucky enough to be the only person there and I had a great experience.

Lastly, I would like to mention that the hotel restaurant, Reds, is an excellent choice for dinner. I am reviewing that separately, but it's worth a mention here as well. For budget-friendly snacks, head to the supermarket next door and stock up on items that can fit in the room's mini-fridge.

All in all, this was a wonderful hotel for the money and I would gladly visit again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Premier Sedona room, with the gas fireplace, vaulted ceilings, and huge shower room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank venesueca
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The service was great from the time we arrived till we left. Front desk staff very accommodating and helpful in identify entertainment, hiking trails, golf courses and restaurants.
We had a quiet room on the second floor in the back - loved the large showers. The courtyard was beautiful - we had free appetizers from the REDS restaurant daily. Didn't have great view from room but we didn't spend much time in our room anyhow. Would return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I met our favorite couple friends here last weekend. I booked both our rooms, hoping it would be special. The Deepak Chopra quote on the website got me. The rooms were pretty nice. We checked in after 1 a.m, but didn't feel too welcome. "Ed" told us he was 'just trying to get something done' when we showed up. He gave us the map, but couldn't find our rooms on it (?). He then gave the wrong keys to the wrong couple, and told us to work it out since we knew each other. I thought we might get a view, having booked 2 rooms and being offseason. Ok, so not everyone gets a view but parking lot views were disappointing. I expected the resort fee, but was suprised it did not include the hot tub/sauna areas. It seemed tacky to charge another $15.00. What IS the resort fee for? On our last day, the fire alarm went off around 5 a.m... No big deal, but no one acknowledged or apologized. Maybe comp me a cup of coffee? I booked both rooms in one priceline res and they mischarged my friends. I showed them the priceline confo email. They called the manager, I showed them the email and they didn't honor it. My friends didn't want to end our trip on a sour note, so they paid 205 a night instead of 176. Disappointing that real customer care wasn't there.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain facing for sure.
1  Thank JWP1987
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Overall our stay at the Sedona Rouge was nice. We usually don't spend a lot of money on hotels but this was for our five year anniversary and we got a good deal on Priceline.

The courtyard of the hotel was beautiful and the rooms were large and modern with big comfy beds. We were on the first floor so no views of the red rocks but we did have a little patio with chairs looking onto another courtyard with grass and columns, which was nice. The complaints I have are that you can hear other room's doors slamming shut and there was no view of the red rocks. Also, the hotel was right in the middle of town which was convenient but not very pretty. They advertise the observation deck which sounds nice but there are no lounge chairs (just tables and upright chairs) and because the hotel is right next to a Safeway and in the middle of town the views aren't amazing.

It really is a nice place but if you are looking for a romantic getaway to enjoy the beauty of Sedona I would recommend staying somewhere more "off the beaten path". I would definitely recommend staying here if you won't be spending much time at the hotel or if you have a higher level room with a view.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the redrocks make sure to be on the third floor.
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Sedona Rouge is a lovely hotel in the western part of Sedona. You will find the rooms well appointed with very nice toiletries. The property is also well maintained and nice. I would definitely stay again. The bathroom has this enormous shower with 2 shower heads. Additionally, there is a nice balcony with each room, yet, there wasn't any place to sit on my balcony...a bit of an oddity there.

I guess I am not giving it a "great" rating because I feel that it lacking in a few areas. The hotel charges guests a resort usage fee of $19 per room per day -- that isn't mentioned until you show up at the hotel. This is to cover the use of the pool, a free appetizer at night, internet access (which should be free) and coffee at breakfast...and really, that is about it. I felt as though they charge this to keep their room prices low, and I found it a bit offensive. I guess I would have felt better about it had it included breakfast, but that is extra (and kind of expensive in the hotel restaurant). Additionally, the rooms don't have safes in them. I feel a hotel of that caliber should have safes in the room.

Room Tip: some rooms have better views than others. If you book with a service, you most likely will get a ro...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Once again, we were able to spend a night in beautiful Sedona, and picked Sedona Rouge for our one special night. Beautiful room, beds are sooo comfy and the staff is the BEST! Thanks for a delightful stay, we'll be back when we have more time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business