“The perfect place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedona
Sedona Mago Retreat
Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Francis, Utah
“The perfect place”
Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

This is my first "personal" retreat and it was amazing (I just had a baby in June). I spent 3 days at Sedona Mago retreat and everything was wonderful. The staff is friendly, helpful and kind. The food is great! They have an organic farm and the dishes are creative and tasty, thank you Kate, for great food. If you are looking for peace and quiet in a place that feels miles away, this is the place for you! From the many walking trails and pool to the morning meditation and Tao Healing (juniper is truly a gifted healer), Mago went way above what I ever could have imagined. Thank you to the entire Mago staff for making my stay one that I will never forget.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Gabriel M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 1, 2014

The Mago Retreat Center offers many qualities that are truly a struggle to find in this day and age. From the untouched acres of Sedona's red canyons to the fresh meals they offered as part of their package, with fresh vegitacbles grown there. As well the constant but genuine smiles of the staff and their wisdom. I was there for four days but I've grown a year's worth since my experience there. .

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Ariele R
Katy, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This Tao and Dahn Yoga retreat center is the spot at the end of the world. You will vibrate your way down Bill Gray Road but trust me when I say the drive is worth it. At the end you will find Mago Garden and you can leave the world behind. Every brick and plant was lovingly placed by hand and lends itself to peaceful contemplation and leaving the cares of the world behind. The programs all invite you to explore your inner self and start your journey to a healthier, happier, life. The accommodations are simple but have everything a good hotel provides. They are in keeping with the Zen of the surroundings. The only caveat is to make sure what other groups are in attendance at the same time. We were there from Friday to Sunday. A group that I can only describe as uber-vegan arrived on Saturday. Prior to their arrival the food was simple but excellent. They were on some kind of plant only diet that did not allow sugar, or soy sauce. Although we were not part of their group I was denied two packs of sugar for my oatmeal. The lasagna on Saturday night was made with some kind of mashed sweet potato concoction instead of cheese - Ugh!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mkathyrn
Plantation, Florida
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The 20-30 minute drive up the unpaved road from Cottonwood is well worth the effort! Once there I had no desire to go elsewhere anyway. 163 acres to hike around, beautiful and simple accomodations, morinig meditations and a staff who is as friendly as your next door neighbor (hopefully). The stars are so bright & give a new meaning to the lullaby "Twinkle, Twinkle little star". I would not hesitiate to recco this to a friend and I hope to return again next year.

Room Tip: The suites on top of Heaven rock are "heavenly".
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PhillyTyoga
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The Tao Lifestyle Weekend retreat class title doesn't begin to explain the journey you will be on for 3 days. If you want to start understanding your body, your mind, your energy or your journey through this thing called life, I highly recommend you reward yourself with time at this magical place. Our teacher, Juniper, was the epitome of Zen and pure love. Her knowledge and intuitive skills will guide you through your own inner self discovery. Upon check-in you will meet 3 wonderful ladies, Susan, Kathy and Erika, who are amazingly friendly and helpful. The rooms are no frills but comfortable and adequate. The property is kept pristine. The food was healthy and delicious and the dining hall staff attentive. They will take special dietary requests as well. I truly enjoyed the peaceful time to rejuvenate and meet other people from our global community.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Patti G
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Whenever I have the chance to enjoy nature, heal, re-energize myself from the fast-paced Orange County life style. The drive takes 8 hours so we typically take turns driving & the red dirt road takes 40 mins. I come visit 2 to 3 times a year and it gets more relaxing each time I come. There are many healing trainings I have taken over the last 12 years to help recover a work injury in both wrists, L4-L5 Back & Sciatica. I can affirm I have experienced more Natural healing for my condition here at Mago Retreat than my Orthopedic doctor & physical therapy. "Finding Your True Self" was such a great experience of joy that I brought my Mom as well. I never saw my Mom so happy. I felt so much love for myself it was truly beautiful experience. The staff are VERY accommodating, rooms have charming Sedona charm, delicious healthy Food from the organic garden is included in room rate. Pretty lake for light morning walks & Nice pool/spa for evening star-gazing it always blows socks off how many stars I can't see back home. I have brought my family back to experience the authentic peaceful nature of the Sedona red rocks. I hope everyone can come & experience my happiest place on earth. When I need to re-center myself I find Ilchi Lee's, The Call of Sedona Book very helpful when I am back home. I have give my friends copies to help them stay more peaceful in their daily lives.

Room Tip: I prefer the newer rooms behind the Welcome House. There is always complimentary Hot Teas available...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HBrealtor
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We were 40 successful, professional men gathering at the Mago Retreat for a private spiritual conference.
The center itself, is about 15 miles down a dirt road with many twists and turns and directions to the center are not well marked. The website even suggests not to drive it after dark but this may have been just a cautionary note for the directionally challenged as we didn't find it very difficult to get there.
The staff are very friendly; at Reception/Registration, the resident Tao Meditation instructor, and at the staff at the dinning hall.
The rooms are very basic but comfortable; no phones, no TV, no radio, but hey, this is supposed to be a place to get away from all those things and unwind.
Meals at the dining hall are vegetarian but they so have fish with most meals, and eggs for breakfast. The meals are served buffet style and the selections were probably better than my rating of "adequate" but I'm not a vegetarian so I have nothing to compare it to.

The grounds have been landscaped in places to make it more appealing and peaceful but I found it some-what odd to find a stream and lake in the middle if the desert, but then, I do a lot of hiking, kayaking, and general wilderness tripping in pristine wilderness areas so I found the areas outside the fence more appealing and relaxing than the landscaped areas of the center itself.
All in all, it was a good experience and I'm sure someone that's into yoga, Taoism, and meditation would probably enjoy it.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business