“Your Peaceful Place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sedona Mago Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedona
Sedona Mago Retreat
Ranked #42 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Katy, Texas
“Your Peaceful Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

This Tao and Dahn Yoga retreat center is the spot at the end of the world. You will vibrate your way down Bill Gray Road but trust me when I say the drive is worth it. At the end you will find Mago Garden and you can leave the world behind. Every brick and plant was lovingly placed by hand and lends itself to peaceful contemplation and leaving the cares of the world behind. The programs all invite you to explore your inner self and start your journey to a healthier, happier, life. The accommodations are simple but have everything a good hotel provides. They are in keeping with the Zen of the surroundings. The only caveat is to make sure what other groups are in attendance at the same time. We were there from Friday to Sunday. A group that I can only describe as uber-vegan arrived on Saturday. Prior to their arrival the food was simple but excellent. They were on some kind of plant only diet that did not allow sugar, or soy sauce. Although we were not part of their group I was denied two packs of sugar for my oatmeal. The lasagna on Saturday night was made with some kind of mashed sweet potato concoction instead of cheese - Ugh!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mkathyrn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

The 20-30 minute drive up the unpaved road from Cottonwood is well worth the effort! Once there I had no desire to go elsewhere anyway. 163 acres to hike around, beautiful and simple accomodations, morinig meditations and a staff who is as friendly as your next door neighbor (hopefully). The stars are so bright & give a new meaning to the lullaby "Twinkle, Twinkle little star". I would not hesitiate to recco this to a friend and I hope to return again next year.

Room Tip: The suites on top of Heaven rock are "heavenly".
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PhillyTyoga
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

The Tao Lifestyle Weekend retreat class title doesn't begin to explain the journey you will be on for 3 days. If you want to start understanding your body, your mind, your energy or your journey through this thing called life, I highly recommend you reward yourself with time at this magical place. Our teacher, Juniper, was the epitome of Zen and pure love. Her knowledge and intuitive skills will guide you through your own inner self discovery. Upon check-in you will meet 3 wonderful ladies, Susan, Kathy and Erika, who are amazingly friendly and helpful. The rooms are no frills but comfortable and adequate. The property is kept pristine. The food was healthy and delicious and the dining hall staff attentive. They will take special dietary requests as well. I truly enjoyed the peaceful time to rejuvenate and meet other people from our global community.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Patti G
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Whenever I have the chance to enjoy nature, heal, re-energize myself from the fast-paced Orange County life style. The drive takes 8 hours so we typically take turns driving & the red dirt road takes 40 mins. I come visit 2 to 3 times a year and it gets more relaxing each time I come. There are many healing trainings I have taken over the last 12 years to help recover a work injury in both wrists, L4-L5 Back & Sciatica. I can affirm I have experienced more Natural healing for my condition here at Mago Retreat than my Orthopedic doctor & physical therapy. "Finding Your True Self" was such a great experience of joy that I brought my Mom as well. I never saw my Mom so happy. I felt so much love for myself it was truly beautiful experience. The staff are VERY accommodating, rooms have charming Sedona charm, delicious healthy Food from the organic garden is included in room rate. Pretty lake for light morning walks & Nice pool/spa for evening star-gazing it always blows socks off how many stars I can't see back home. I have brought my family back to experience the authentic peaceful nature of the Sedona red rocks. I hope everyone can come & experience my happiest place on earth. When I need to re-center myself I find Ilchi Lee's, The Call of Sedona Book very helpful when I am back home. I have give my friends copies to help them stay more peaceful in their daily lives.

Room Tip: I prefer the newer rooms behind the Welcome House. There is always complimentary Hot Teas available...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HBrealtor
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We were 40 successful, professional men gathering at the Mago Retreat for a private spiritual conference.
The center itself, is about 15 miles down a dirt road with many twists and turns and directions to the center are not well marked. The website even suggests not to drive it after dark but this may have been just a cautionary note for the directionally challenged as we didn't find it very difficult to get there.
The staff are very friendly; at Reception/Registration, the resident Tao Meditation instructor, and at the staff at the dinning hall.
The rooms are very basic but comfortable; no phones, no TV, no radio, but hey, this is supposed to be a place to get away from all those things and unwind.
Meals at the dining hall are vegetarian but they so have fish with most meals, and eggs for breakfast. The meals are served buffet style and the selections were probably better than my rating of "adequate" but I'm not a vegetarian so I have nothing to compare it to.

The grounds have been landscaped in places to make it more appealing and peaceful but I found it some-what odd to find a stream and lake in the middle if the desert, but then, I do a lot of hiking, kayaking, and general wilderness tripping in pristine wilderness areas so I found the areas outside the fence more appealing and relaxing than the landscaped areas of the center itself.
All in all, it was a good experience and I'm sure someone that's into yoga, Taoism, and meditation would probably enjoy it.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Frankly2Honest
Edina, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Woo-woo retreat center, not a spa. They are selling Tao religion under titles such as "finding yourself", "Recovery Series", "revitalizing detox". They are not hiding the Tao centered training, just making it more attractive to paying tourists.
I attended a "Finding Your True Self" weekend. It was a mix of standard emotional encounter techniques and Tao "energy work", bowing, tapping on your body, etc. 20 people in the group, three were men, all with their wives...
Be aware when they say yoga, it is not "downward dog" yoga. it is "Korean Yoga"; shaking, jumping, tapping on yourself with a bit of stretching incorporated in it. Lots of "vortex's" and energy field talk. Ilchi Lee is the founder, before you book anything here, read his book "The Call Of Sedona".
The plus side, it is a beautiful place. The food is wonderful, if limited. Most of the greens coming from the gardens and greenhouses on the retreat grounds. Food is limited to organic fish and vegetarian, but includes eggs and cheese. There is no restaurant, just a dining hall with several items at each meal eaten at long communal tables, with the food included in the cost of your stay. No shoes allowed in any of the buildings except the welcome center.
Accommodations are spartan, but clean and the beds are comfortable. Be aware, this is not a hotel or resort, rooms are small, walls are thin and services are nonexistent. Distractions, like TV, telephone and internet, are not provided. Verizon wireless is the best bet for cell service, connecting for voice maybe half the time I was there, and not much for data. This is a place to get away (retreat) from EVERYTHING, not a place to go if you expect to check email every two hours. It is 11 miles down a forest service road that takes 30 minutes to travel, just to get to a paved highway, so no running to town for a quick anything.
Claims to be at one with nature, but the desert is heavily irrigated and planted with many non-native species that will die out when the water stops flowing, trying to make a huge oriental garden out of the desert.
All this sounds negative when I re-read it, but I had a very pleasant time. I would have preferred to skip the training and enjoy the desert sun and hiked the surrounding hills, but I was one of the husbands in attendance. When I com back I will do just that. The staff is pleasantly (surprisingly?) normal, very enthusiastic, and dedicated to the place. The location makes it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank C_A_Blabs
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

I brought a group of women to Sedona Mago Retreat center for a weekend retreat last year. If you desire to hold a spiritual retreat with your group, this is a wonderful destination. As a group, we enjoyed the beautiful meals, peaceful gardens and lake. The meals are included with the room stay and are consciously prepared partly from their own gardens. The staff were wonderful; welcoming and attentive to our needs in our event room as well as our accomidations.

Last year was so memorable that I returned with my husband just last month. Mago was our stop to center into a peaceful and spiritual place after the hectic business expo we attended in Las Vegas. Our stay was everything we had hoped for and more. The first day we spent walking the property, eating delicious meals and meditating.

Sedona Mago Retreat center is run by the Tao Fellowship. If you are into meditation, yoga, and peaceful, breath-taking desert settings, this is a must stay. There are events held here regularly (viewable on the Tao Fellowship website) or a person can come just to enjoy the wonderful facilities for a few days of personal restoration and spiritual reconnection.

I hope to return soon for another stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple