“Never disappoints”

Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: In the Hillside Shops
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We live in Scottsdale and like to visit Sedona once or twice a year to enjoy its natural beauty. Our first stop as we drive into town is Sugrues since we are usually ready for lunch and their menu is huge and never disappoints. It has all the comfort foods you can want, but we generally go for the soups, salds, and sandwiches (delicious hamburgers). There is a patio view of the red rocks that is to die for, and probably one of the best photo spots in the city. Wait staff have always been kind and courteous. Prices are reasonable.

There are newer reviews for Shugrues Sedona Hillside Grill

Reviewed July 1, 2014

The following is a copy of the note I sent to the chef/owner of Shugrue's Hillside restaurant the day after my wife and I were very disappointed with their service:

"This was our 45th anniversary and would have been the 15th consecutive year we had celebrated our anniversary at your restaurant. I had made our reservation the Saturday before, June 7th, for 6 PM and asked that we be seated on the deck, weather permitting. The woman I talked to recorded our information, including our telephone number, and repeated back our request for deck seating. Nothing was said about the deck not being available.

When we arrived at the restaurant at 5:50 PM on the 14th, we were informed that the whole deck was reserved for a private party. We were disappointed to hear that but then asked for a table at one of the windows. The hostess told us that those tables were also reserved for the private party. That didn't leave us much to choose from but we took another table anyway, far from any view. After one of the wait staff brought water and bread, we were left alone without any further offering of help for quite a while...even though there weren't very many other tables occupied at the time. I finally told my wife that we should leave because, by that point in time, the meal wouldn't have any pleasure associated with it. The hostess seemed surprised that we were leaving but didn't really express any sympathy for our situation.

We've lived in Flagstaff for 15 years and, in addition to our annual anniversary visits, we have dined at Shugrue's 4-6 times per year. We have recommended Shugrue's to many friends in Flagstaff and from elsewhere in Arizona. We have taken advantage of several of your VIP promotions. Lastly, we have been the happy beneficiaries of numerous gift certificates from friends and family to Shugrue's. Shugrue's has been our "go to" restaurant for delicious meals, wonderful views, and very courteous and timely service over the years...all of which went through our minds as we left the restaurant Saturday evening, very disappointed."

More than two weeks has now passed...and we never heard a word from anyone at the restaurant. So, you can say all you want about the beautiful views and the selection of foods but that kind of uncaring attitude destroys any chance for a pleasurable experience.

3  Thank ImprovFlagstaff_AZ
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have eaten at this restaurant for lunch and dinner. Usually very busy. If you want a great treat, make reservations for dinner and request a table with a view of the Red Rocks. It is amazing to watch the rocks turn different shades as the sun sets. Food and service are very good and would recommend for lunch or dinner.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I was skeptical about getting good fish in an area not close to an ocean or large body of fresh water- I ordered the Ahi Tuna, a house specialty, and was very happy with the quality and quanity. The restaurant is exceptionally located for good views and the service was superb. A jazz performer was a bonus I hadn't expected.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We were there with a fairly large group, so the menu selection was somewhat limited. However, among the five entrees, all received "fantastic" ratings. My spouse & I had the Scottish Salmon which was cooked to perfection. All the food was excellent as was the service, but the scenery on the patio is not to be missed! It was a little windy, but watching the sun set on the beautiful red rocks was worth the wind.
Try the Blackened Shrimp Saganaki appetizer. It has a wedge of Kasseri cheese, fried golden with blackened shrimp with Sambuca sauce. The temptation was to just eat that!