“Expensive, but amazing!”

Ranked #15 of 195 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Southwestern, French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Sedona Restaurant RENE at Tlaquepaque has been the home of casual fine dining for more than thirty nine years and is still winning awards. Diners appreciate the relaxed fine dining ambiance, attentive and pleasant service, and of course, outstanding food and wines. Locals, tourists and celebrities have made RENE a favorite for lunch and dinner. Make your visit to Sedona special ... Dine with us at RENE, fine food in casual elegant surroundings in Tlaquepaque
Quincy, Massachusetts
“Expensive, but amazing!”
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Me and my boyfriend went to Rene's for our last meal in Sedona while on vacation. Needless to say it's french food so it's expensive however the food was amazing and the service was impeccible. It was an experience. The cremem brulee was awesome as was the brie. Worth a trip for a special Occasion!

1 Thank Katie R

Scottsdale, AZ
“Hello Houston We Have A Problem!!”
Reviewed April 10, 2009

My wife and I went to Sedona to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. There were two restaurants that we had been dying to try, Rene’s and L’Auberge. So we made reservations at both on back to back evenings. What I had hoped to be a very romantic and enjoyable evening quickly turned disastrous. I should have realized there was a problem when our waitress never came over to our table. I had to ask a bus boy for a menu. Finally I went to speak to the Maitre de who at least took our wine order, 30 minutes after being seated.

Our waitress eventually realized we were one of her tables and she came over to apologize. We ordered an appetizer, the stuffed mushrooms, very good. We still hadn't ordered our entrees when the waitress stopped by quickly and took my menu which was sitting on the edge of the table which usually indicates that we're ready to order.

For the next 30 minutes we would see her walk briskly by our table without so much as stopping. I guess she was too busy. Finally an hour had gone by and I went to find the Maitre de again. This time to ask that we be given a new waiter/waitress as the one we had didn't seem interested in serving us. While I was talking to him she appeared at my side to say that she just dropped off two orders of duck! Wonderful, food, except we hadn't ordered yet!!!!!

It was such a disaster that all I could do was laugh. The maitre de became our waiter, we ordered our entrees, passed on a salad since it was now well after 9:00PM. To their credit they did bring us complimentary salads and dessert and also picked up the tab on our wine. Our meals were enjoyable.

I have to give our maitre de credit for trying to make amends. But after reading some of the previous posts it’s apparent that Rene's has lost their touch and they need to train/retrain their wait staff. Poor service is the result of poor training. With the stiff competition in the restaurant business issues like this will eventually cause customers to dine elsewhere. Sedona has several other very good restaurants which will take customers from Rene’s.

I did leave a 20% tip based on what I was actually billed. Mainly for the bus boy, kitchen staff, and maitre de.

1 Thank TheBobWire
Calgary
“I'm Starving And It's Your Fault!!”
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Rene has a traditional setting, with no suprises on the menu but a very solid continental cuisine. Our group of three was seated immediately but waited 15 minutes for our server to come back asking upon our wine order. Another 10 minutes before our second wine choice was served. This was the end of the wine service.
Five minutes later a man appeared at our table to take our order - oh!, that's our server!! This slow start to dinner inspired the title of this review.
Starters included a Seafood Parfait: a nice selection including seared scallops, a large tasty, crisp prawn, and a bit of lobster which was quite spongey all on a bed of spring greens drizzled with a wonderful avacado dressing. Another starter was the Portobello Bisque which was a large serving of hot, creamy soup saved from being insipid with a healthy dose of white truffle oil. The Heart of Romaine salad was good.
The main courses arrived shortly thereafter. The Roasted Duck was crispy on the outside, well done and delicious throughout, with a tasty wild rice cake and seasonal vegetables. The other beautiful lady's main was the Antelope, a tenderloin perfectly medium rare, in a sweetish juniper scented sauce with mediocre mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables. The gentleman's rack of lamb was a very large serving and perfectly trimmed. It was a rare as ordered but unfortunately was served with a jus that tasted of Campbell's canned beef bullion and two jellies that did not tempt.
Dessert was one heck of a vanilla creme brulee, shared by three. Although the stale cookie accompanying it was far past it's 'best before' date.
Dinner was $245 including $43 for wine, one desseert, and a small, but fair tip.
This restaurant has continental cuisine mainly well done, but with disinterested service. The restaraunt is recommended as we suspect it's as good as continental dining gets in beautiful Sedona!!

1 Thank RunningCanada
Youngstown, Ohio
“Wonderful place for a special dinner”
Reviewed March 22, 2009

My wife and I had our 10th anniversary dinner there. The food and service were wonderful. Due to some of the complaints I read here concerning poor service and food, I was reluctant to book such an important occasion there. But the owners at the B&B we were staying in convinced me otherwise. Glad we took their advice and made reservations.
The hostess and waiter were both friendly and attentive. My wife was presented with a rose due to the special occasion. The food was great. They even had a musician playing background music. A wonderful place to spend an evening, anniversary or otherwise.

2 Thank rayjay80
Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very quaint and lovely experience.”
Reviewed March 17, 2009

A very lovely restaurant. Top notch food, wonderful service, and a fitting location make for a unforgettable dining experience.

1 Thank jackichan

Been to Rene at Tlaquepaque? Share your experiences!