“I'm Starving And It's Your Fault!!”

Rene at Tlaquepaque
Ranked #16 of 198 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Southwestern, French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Sedona Restaurant RENE at Tlaquepaque has been the home of casual fine dining for more than thirty nine years and is still winning awards. Diners appreciate the relaxed fine dining ambiance, attentive and pleasant service, and of course, outstanding food and wines. Locals, tourists and celebrities have made RENE a favorite for lunch and dinner. Make your visit to Sedona special ... Dine with us at RENE, fine food in casual elegant surroundings in Tlaquepaque
Calgary
“I'm Starving And It's Your Fault!!”
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Rene has a traditional setting, with no suprises on the menu but a very solid continental cuisine. Our group of three was seated immediately but waited 15 minutes for our server to come back asking upon our wine order. Another 10 minutes before our second wine choice was served. This was the end of the wine service.
Five minutes later a man appeared at our table to take our order - oh!, that's our server!! This slow start to dinner inspired the title of this review.
Starters included a Seafood Parfait: a nice selection including seared scallops, a large tasty, crisp prawn, and a bit of lobster which was quite spongey all on a bed of spring greens drizzled with a wonderful avacado dressing. Another starter was the Portobello Bisque which was a large serving of hot, creamy soup saved from being insipid with a healthy dose of white truffle oil. The Heart of Romaine salad was good.
The main courses arrived shortly thereafter. The Roasted Duck was crispy on the outside, well done and delicious throughout, with a tasty wild rice cake and seasonal vegetables. The other beautiful lady's main was the Antelope, a tenderloin perfectly medium rare, in a sweetish juniper scented sauce with mediocre mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables. The gentleman's rack of lamb was a very large serving and perfectly trimmed. It was a rare as ordered but unfortunately was served with a jus that tasted of Campbell's canned beef bullion and two jellies that did not tempt.
Dessert was one heck of a vanilla creme brulee, shared by three. Although the stale cookie accompanying it was far past it's 'best before' date.
Dinner was $245 including $43 for wine, one desseert, and a small, but fair tip.
This restaurant has continental cuisine mainly well done, but with disinterested service. The restaraunt is recommended as we suspect it's as good as continental dining gets in beautiful Sedona!!

1 Thank RunningCanada

Youngstown, Ohio
“Wonderful place for a special dinner”
Reviewed March 22, 2009

My wife and I had our 10th anniversary dinner there. The food and service were wonderful. Due to some of the complaints I read here concerning poor service and food, I was reluctant to book such an important occasion there. But the owners at the B&B we were staying in convinced me otherwise. Glad we took their advice and made reservations.
The hostess and waiter were both friendly and attentive. My wife was presented with a rose due to the special occasion. The food was great. They even had a musician playing background music. A wonderful place to spend an evening, anniversary or otherwise.

2 Thank rayjay80
Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very quaint and lovely experience.”
Reviewed March 17, 2009

A very lovely restaurant. Top notch food, wonderful service, and a fitting location make for a unforgettable dining experience.

1 Thank jackichan
Atlanta
“Very Average, Crab made me ill”
Reviewed March 10, 2009

We ate lunch today at Rene, I'll put aside my current condition and try to give an objective review. My wife's steak salad was good, not great. It could have been the same many places. There is no view, the restaurant if buried inside an upscale retail development and there is no possibility of seeing outside the walls of the development. Now, my crab cakes, one of the house specialties, are still with me many hours later, and not in a good way. I'm basically out of action for dinner tonight in Phoenix and I'm just hoping I don't get worse before flying home tomorrow.

With over 100 restaurants in Sedona, pick another place!!

1 Thank Becker135
Paradise Valley AZ
“overpriced, Stuffy Atmosphere, Snobs”
Reviewed February 13, 2009

Not sure who they think they are - maybe you will like if you are reitred: kinda geared towards days-gone-by sorta theme, although you won't get the service you think it implies! Lunch was dry crossiant with wierd tasting chicken salad. No bread basket arrived, server took order & delivered food & bill, otherwise invisable. With such an uppity enviroment, I expected greater service, but got none. With all the choices in sedona - pick another!!!! Try Secret Garden, Dahl & Diluca's, Picasso's (Awesome pizza, GR8 happy hr), Wildflower's (awesome views, fantastic prices, GR8 picnic take-away!). Maybe if your bill is over $100 you'll get more service here - good luck there!

Been to Rene at Tlaquepaque? Share your experiences!