“Chili's Quality”

Javelina Cantina
Ranked #39 of 204 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view
Description: Javelina Cantina is located in the Hillside Shopping Center. We offer traditional Sonoran Mexican cuisine. All of our food is housemade fresh daily and cooked to order, using the finest and freshest ingredients available. We offer indoor and outdoor patio dining with spectacular views of Sedona whether you're seated inside or out. Happy hour is from 3:00 to 6:00 daily. Please join us for Sedona's finest Mexican Cuisine. Visit us near sunset and you just might get a show, we usually see Javelina's on the north side of the restaurant around sunset.
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We tried this restaurant on the first night of our recent family reunion in Sedona. It came highly recommended.

When we drove up, I figured it must be really good because we had to park a good distance away, and there were tons of people coming and going. When we got inside, my sister had already snagged our reserved table for six, and we were quickly seated. Drinks arrived promptly. Food, not quite so promptly.

While the food was fine, it wasn't up to the standards I would have expected at such a highly rated restaurant, and my husband and I agreed that it was on par with the Chili's chain of restaurants.

The place was, of course, noisy, since it was big and filled with people. With all the great places to choose in Sedona, I wouldn't go here again. Funny thing is, I heard it recommended by many locals all week. Still wouldn't return.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,251)

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We went to Javelina Cantina for dinner on the recommendation of our hotel (who kindly called ahead and made a reservation for us). The food was delicious, with huge portions. We had come to AZ with some pretty high expectations for good Mexican food, and Javelina Cantina didn't disappoint.

The only criticism I had was the inconsistency of the bar. We arrived early so we had a drink at the bar. The mojito I had at the bar was perfect, but the ones we ordered from the table came in different glasses and had a far different pour. Either there's a lack of consistency among the bartenders, or they were pouring better drinks at the bar for the sake of their own tips.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We hung-out at the bar one evening--it happened to be Taco Tuesday--one dollar tacos at the bar so we had a local beer and a few tacos and they bring you free chips and salsa--seems like the friendly locals know about this one too--the tacos were some of the best we had and it was a fun and lively atmosphere--they have several "bar specials" different nights so check out the nights you go--we will definitely go back!!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have been eating at Javalina's for about 15 years now and 90% of the time it has been really good, a little pricey for Mexican but you are paying for the incredible views as well.

Last couple times we have been here the food has not been as good as usual and the staff has been rather rude and slightly annoying. Salsa for the first time tasted like it was out of a can, never has it been that way.

I hope they get their act together because this place has always had great Mexican food with a slight great twist to some of the dishes.

Try it, maybe they just had a couple bad days.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The margaritas are a fabulous compliment to the Mexican food they serve. I loved their potato, spinach, and cheese enchilada, but they've taken it off the menu. The nacho plate is huge, and when chicken or beef is added, makes a complete meal for two. I've been there for both lunch and dinner and the food and service are great at either time of day. As long as it's not too hot, get a table on the patio, because the views are wonderful!

Been to Javelina Cantina? Share your experiences!