“Great overall experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mongo's Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Mongo's Bar and Grill
Cuisines: Mongolian, Chinese, Asian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
“Great overall experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

After hearing all of the hype around town I decided to try mongos. Hesitant at first due to a few negative reviews on here I still went in with an open mind. I was pleasantly surprised! The food was all very fresh and prepared quickly right in front of you. The server was very attentive and I LOVED the 70's music and old TV shows they were playing. If recommend this to anyone and feel the very low scores on here may have had ulterior motives.thumbs up mongos! I hope this is a permanent addition to sedona

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jason_ril

“I Need to write this up as: fresh, fast and inviting.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

My first thought when I heard another restaurant had opened in Sedona was "crap, another over priced, no good, mickey mouse place to eat". I arrived w/ family & my film crew to this real inviting patio at the main entrance. There is plenty of cozy outside dining. The restaurant is located at the entrance of VOC at 179 just of hwy 17 north of PHX. It is very quiet up this way & no hard traffic in the evenings. So in regards to the outside dining, you can actually have a conversation & relax. We walked in & were greeted by a very friendly "hello" and seated right away. The hello was from the owner who was very polite & inviting. Mongo's is a place where you choose your own food to take to the chef to cook for you. You are prompted to an island buffet quickly after being seated. The buffet is fully stocked with fresh meats, seafood, vegetables, noodles. ..they also have steamed rice. You choose your items and put them into your own bowl. Walk a few ft away and hand it to the chef where he cooks it right in front of you. Therefore its really your own fault if you don't like it because you chose the ingredients!! Even down to choosing your own sauces! Great concept! While i ate, i couldnt help but notice that about every 5 minutes a worker is stocking fresh ingredients and wiping down the island buffet. The bar is fully stocked & not just with beer & wine but liquor as well. The dining area is very clean, decor fitting & smooth with splashes of orient dragon red. Our server Dakota was extremely polite & cheeky. If you visit VOC and fancy good service & desire clean eats then come to this place. They are open for lunch as well. I promise that you won't wait around for food & service wasting hiking & biking time like you would at the other time consuming eateries in the VOC & Sedona...trust me I live here & know the area well & fast friendly service has become obsolete in the area. Eat at Mongo's its well worth it & the Sedona vibes here are clarifying...until I write again folks. Peace out!

3 Thank llp928
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mold in the noodles at Mongo's”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Tonight we went to Mongo's in the Village of Oak Creek after hearing how great it was supposed to be. We went to the salad/meat bar, filled the bowls and then to the noodles. I chose the thin noodles to top off the bowl. There was MOLD in the noodles! I couldn't believe my eyes! I took the noodles over to a window so that I could make sure that I saw what I saw. The waitress came over and more less was wondering what I was doing. I told her that there was mold in the noodles. She took the bin that they were in to the back, came back and said the girl in the back couldn't tell what it was. (In the meantime, she'd gone to one of the owners and told him.) I said I knew what it was and was taking a handful of the noodles with me. The owner came out, took my name, said he was going to track down his supplier and see why they'd sent him these noodles that were bad. He should definitely been concerned because that mold could have had serious repercussions. I put the noodles into a napkin and had them in the console between the seats and soon had to stop, find plastic in the trunk and contain it in the plastic as it was already causing me to have symptoms that are connected to mold. So I would say that before you go there to eat, think again...especially if you are sensitive to mold. If the shock of the mold wasn't enough, the price of a piece of cake there is $8....another reason for shock.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Sedona, Arizona
“We Eat At Mongo's Every Week”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

We have been eating at Mongo's at least once a week. I do not understand people who think Mongo's is expensive. You cannot by a burger in Sedona for less than dinner at Mongo's. The owners and staff have always been friendly. We have never had to wait in a long line. I do not think some of the reviewers have ever been to a Mongolian Barbeque before. Getting up and selecting your meat and vegetables, and taking your food to be cooked is all part of the fun. People who want to sit down and be served do not understand the whole Mongolian concept. The sauce available is plenty. There is no need for a second stove top, and there have always been two cooks when we ate at Mongo's. I do not think cards are needed to select your food. Just select what you like. It is not difficult.

2 Thank Brian C
“Love It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Love Mongos! What a fun time we had!The food is fresh,and delicious.My girlfriend and I had a great experience and we were there for 3 hours.Talking to the owners and enjoying the best Pina Coladas ever!I got a kick out of watching the people fill their bowls with skill and gusto.Picked up a few ideas myself .Can't wait to try my hand at hoarding next time.The sauces were good and I went back for more and added it later to spice it up more.Who ever wrote that bad review is nuts! I also recommend the cold Sake.If you want to beat the crowd,get there at 5 for dinner or early for lunch.The selection of veggies was mind boggling,and healthy.A good place for vegans or meat lovers. The meats are so thinly sliced there is no worry of under cooking.We will be back,umm,maybe tommorow!Maggie Sedona

2 Thank Margaret M