“Nice trail, particularly gorgeous the day I took it”
Review of Munds Wagon Trail

and up
Munds Wagon Trail Hike from Sedona
Ranked #60 of 156 things to do in Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: This region preserves many unique red geological formations.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
412 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 493 helpful votes
“Nice trail, particularly gorgeous the day I took it”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I'm sending in this review in August, but the visit was six months earlier in February after a big snowstorm, which made the trip on this trail particularly beautiful. Be sure to follow the trail carefully, rather than walking up the road, if you want the best scenery. The road itself was at one time the primary route from Sedona to Flagstaff, but was replaced almost exactly a century ago by the road up Oak Canyon. The old road is still open, but don't try it without a stout high clearance vehicle, and be prepared for winter closures.

I've checked the box saying that bathroom facilities are available, since there are pit toilets at the primary trailhead. Also, there is no fee charged *if* you have purchased a Red Rocks pass that lets you park in the Red Rocks area. For those "of a certain age" (like this reviewer), you'll likely save a few bucks if you purchase a lifetime National Parks pass, available at the main visitor centers.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank AnnArborMiBob

Las Vegas, Nevada
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Nothing spectacular”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was looking forward to hiking this trail because I thought it would be like the Huckaby and I would hear the creek. It was a long hike and a good workout. I was just expecting better.

Visited May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Ah finally a shady hike”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Munds Wagon Trail offers extraordinary close up and distant views of Sedona. Bear Wallow Canyon, Munds Mountain and various geologic features such as Merry-Go-Round Rock, Mitten Ridge and the Mogollon Rim. The pathway connects with Margs Draw, Huckaby, Cow Pies, and Schnebly Hill Trails.

The trail is well marked with Caged Cairns, mostly moderate in grade and offers shade from Arizona cypress. It is 4 miles one way and if you have a high clearance 4 wheel drive you can park at either trailhead. Going east to west has less elevation but the 4 wheel is needed to get to that trailhead.

Munds Wagon route is an historic trail that follows an early cattle trail linking Sedona with the Mogollon Rim. Started in 1896, the trail's completion as a wagon trail awaited the work of pioneer J.J. Thompson in 1902.

Driving Directions: 89A to 179S. At the first round about take Schnebly Hill Road to the Margs Trailhead on your left,

Tip: Someone suggested I go to the Hike House http://thehikehouse.com/ to get hiking ideas. I was glad I did. the owner was much more helpful than any of the visitor centers where I stopped. I bought the Sedona Trails Map and he marked up 3 hikes for me (I had already done Bear Mountain when I found him). Each of the trails was spot on for my skill level.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank JayneHikingAddict
A TripAdvisor Member
“Gateway to Nervana”
Reviewed May 21, 2003

Stress relief in the pines of Munds Mountain....I came to the southwest totally stressed, and as blue as the sky. My brother thought a trip to Sedona would be the best medicine in the world. Sedona took my breathe away..then onward to our overnight stay...in Munds Park. Upon arrival, I immediately felt an unusual peace. The altitude was a factor, but I truly believe it was something more.. something spiritual. The next morning I took a short drive in the area...the feeling grew stronger. My brother and I drove to the forested area....the pines, scented air, numerous alpine flowers, (maybe even vortex effects), surrounded me, lifted me and fully encompassed my being. I would recommend to anybody, to go to Munds Mountain, breathe the air, let the stress float out, and when you return (it will be too soon, no matter the length of time spent there), your spirit will be renewed, and you will dream of returning soon. Sedona is beautiful, but Munds Mountain is spiritual AND beautiful.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Munds Wagon Trail? Share your experiences!