“I go twice a week”

Tortas de Fuego
Ranked #22 of 204 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Best Mexican food in town! We just moved here and can't get enough of this place, very reasonable prices and a wide selection. I usually go for one of the specials, but the tacos are always great.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

This little place was recommended by the front desk staff at the inn as a place where locals come to eat spanish food. This is a very small place, I think only 10 tables, and it was full the night we arrived. It is not fancy, but is known for the food. I had the Fuego Burrito Mojado, with asada, and it was great. I had it with half red and half green sauce. The flavors of the fresh guacamole and pico de gallo were wonderful with the fresh sauces. I had mine with cactus, and loved the added texture. My husband had the fish taco, and he said it was better than some of the more expensive restaurants we had visited in the past. I highly recommend this one.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Rule Number One: Ask a local. I stopped at the Visitor’s Center when arriving on the outskirts of Sedona to adhere to the First Rule of Travel (If there is a bathroom, go to it) and asked the young man at the desk where he would go for a good lunch break. With no hesitation, he wrote this down on a map with directions.

Warning: The parking lot is small and you may need to circle a couple of times until something opens up. This place shares space with a muffler shop, and as it was Sunday, I felt safe in double parking with some of the repair cars in the back. Small dining area, so as I was a single (Hubby was enjoying a nasty lunch meat sandwich at his conference) I grabbed a stool at the counter next to the kitchen pass. Which meant I could eyeball everything heading to the tables. It all looked great and I really wanted to grab everything I saw. I opted for the combo lunch special with a tostada, an enchilada and a taco. The waitress asked if I wanted red or green sauce and when I asked for green, there was a warning issued it was spicy. Ok, YEA! I hate wimpy food.

Oh, and to make sure that Hubby knew what he was missing, I sent him a picture of my heaping, delish lunch plate.

Good portions, great Mexican food and nice staff. What’s not to love? I am tickled about other reviews carping about the prices: This place is cheap and great. For heavens sake, people, the folks need to make a living!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I used to love to eat here simply because their food is so good - but a month ago they raised their prices ALMOST DOUBLE and the food quality stayed the same, not to mention that they took away the complimentary side of chips and salsa. I'm all about good food for a comparable price... if you raise the price DOUBLE, take away the side, and keep the food quality the same - well I'm sorry but that just doesn't add up to good business, instead its ripping off locals and tourist.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We've been going to Tortas de Fuego for almost a year. The food is good, plentiful, and cheap. True, the air conditioning can't compete with the heat from the kitchen, or the big south facing windows that provide blazing heat all afternoon, or a door that sticks on the tile before it shuts all the way so the heat rolls in like a wave - still it's definitely worth a visit. Preferably when it's not busy. The heat, the crowd, and only six or eight tables does not make for a pleasant eat-in dining with quiet conversation experience. But if you want take-out or a quickie tostada, with spritely Latin music jumping in the background, and cinnamony Orchata in the cooler, this is the place to go. If you want as good or better you'll have to drive out to Juanita's in Cottonwood.

Haven't tried anything else on the menu but the tostadas and guacamole. Pork or chicken, both are excellent. The tostada shell is slathered with really good refried beans, meat of your choice, a crumbly white cheese similar to feta without the funk, lettuce, tomatoes, and a touch of guacamole and sour cream.

Help yourself to the salsa bar, but watch out for the orangey red chipotle sauce, it's got a zing to it. And don't be fooled by the bland yellowish ranch dressing-looking stuff... it's not ranch dressing at all. Don't know what it is, but it's smoking hot.

I like the salsa verde and the salsa with confetti-sized chunks of tomato, red onion, and jalapenos. But the tostada is so flavorful, sometimes a little salty, it rarely needs any help at all. I do like the large order of guacamole on the side though, not expensive as guac goes, and very very good.

To cool down your mouth, try the Orchata, a yummy drink made from rice and cinnamon, not too sweet and just enough spice. And just wait till you see their HUGE tortas (sandwiches)! Yikes. So big they're intimidating. Could easily be split between 2 and 3 hungry diners.

Recently, they added colorful easy-to-read menus and table service. No more lining up at the cash register to place your order and/or pick up your plates to take to your table, or bus them yourself when you're done. They come to your table now, take your order, return quickly with happy smiles and really good, plentiful food. Then they bus it all away for you.

I'm always fascinated by the specials of the day listed on the white board near the register, though I haven't tried them yet, they are way cheap and have great ingredients. The minute I get over my obsession with their tostadas, I promise I'll try out and review their specials. Yeah, it's a hard job, but somebody's gotta do it! ;-)