“Beautiful Views...Need a 4 x 4 ! Bring your Camera”
Review of Schnebly Hill Road

Schnebly Hill Road
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Scenic Sedona Tour
Ranked #33 of 158 things to do in Sedona
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Schnebly Hill Road is the way to get up into the mountains behind Sedona for more spectacular views and scenic walks. The road is very rocky and posted for 4x4 only( should have high clearance to be safe ). The Pink Jeep Tours and others do travel this road as well but we did not find it congested at all. Its very peaceful and serene up there. You can get out many places and walk or just travel the road a few miles and enjoy the views. Be sure to bring your camera as the scenery does not disappoint!!! Beware though, some folks did not heed the signs posted and tried to go up using their cars. They seriously damaged their vehicles . You do need a 4x4 with some clearance. Saw some Subuaru Outbacks that were doing fine on the road.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"beautiful drive"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My parents moved to Sedona in the early 70's, I visited often and worked there several summers. Schnebly Hill Road was unpaved, but passable in any type of vehicle in those days. Actually, it was an alternate scenic route from Sedona to highway 17 (twelve miles). Haven't been on it in years and headed down from the top yesterday, 09/12/13. Suprise, SUPRISE! Caution! There is NO surface on the road. It is rocky, eroded roadbed all the way to the top on the Sedona side. NOT loose surface rock. Big embedded boulders you either drop down inbetween, or climb over. Luckily I was driving my 3/4-ton 4X4 Dodge Cummins, and there are scuffs all the way around each tire almost all the way up to the rim. Slow going. Let me qualify by saying I've lived in the mountains of Arizona for 30+ years, my property is off a forest service road, I own several 4X4s, and I was astounded by the deterioration of Schnebly Hill Road. Not a two-track or jeep trail, but close to it. I gave clearance to at least 20 for-hire jeeps full of patrons on this two hour trip. The only privately-owned vehicle up there was MINE. I can only figure that the growth of Sedona tourism, and the 24-7 impact of jeep tours on Schnebly Hill Road, has destroyed the surface for any other kind of travel? A shame. I knew John Minnick who started the Pink Jeep Tours in Sedona. He probably had four or five vehicles. Now, I'm sure, there are at least fifteen jeep tour outfits in Sedona with God knows how many vehicles each? I don't think Shenebly Hill Road was intended for such intense traffic? The view is spectacular.

2  Thank rick h
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Bumpy but otherwise easy road. High clearance absolutely necessary and 4x4 helpful. Lots of places to stop and enjoy the view. Fairly heavily traveled by the Jeep tour companies, pink and otherwise. At the top of the road there is a parking area with a nice trail through a large, grassy plateau dotted with rocks and trees (grassy in September anyway - August is Sedona's rainiest month,) and there is a VERY bumpy road to the right on which I would say 4x4 is absolutely required. Very little wildlife, although we did see one pile of elk droppings.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I haven't seen much of Schnebly Hill Road because I drive a Subaru that, although it is all-wheel-drive, is not a car I want to take on this road. The paved part of the road goes far enough up Schnebly Hill Road so that you can make it to a parking lot that has a bathroom. You can take incredible panoramic shots here of Sedona and the surrounding hills. During monsoon season, those photos can contain clouds that linger in the peaks of the hills, rainbows, and downpours in different parts of Sedona while there is sunshine overhead for you. I have seen the pink jeeps go up and down this road with other jeeps that are simply COVERED in mud. This is enough to have me keep my car on the paved section. So you may not make it far in a regular car, but it is still worth visiting.

1  Thank Judy H