“Magical Place”

Ranked #9 of 29 Sedona B&B and Inns
Surprise AZ.
“Magical Place”
Reviewed March 11, 2006

On March the 8th, while celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary, my wife and I had the good fortune of staying at the El Portal in Sedona AZ.
Being native Californians, we have spent many weekends in Yosemite National Forrest: and though
the beauty is breath taking, the Red Rocks of Sedona
are beyond comparison. They touch your spirit deeply.
I have to say though, the stay at the El Portal
made an already overwhelming experience something truly special. The El Portal was designed and built
with a genuine love and respect for nature's beauty.
Walking through the doors into the great room is as if you stepped back in time. It is difficult to comprehend that a place can be both lavish and quaint at the same time. El Portal is such a place. The floors are of beautiful tile, floors that were
laid unevenly with the intention of putting you back into that time warp I spoke of. No detail, or decoration was left out.
The one thing that puts El Portal over the top
is the management (owners): Steve & Connie. They, along with Linda, El Portal's interior designer and resident; and Dave (kind of a ranch foreman). From the moment we walked in until the time we reluctantly left, we felt as though we were staying with family.
If you're ever in Sedona, don't miss this
wonderful place.
John& Margi Jones

1 Thank Cobrajet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 6, 2006

My husband and I enjoyed staying at El Portal. It was a small and intimate setting, great location, nice staff and owners, tasty breakfast, different and interesting rooms to choose from, but definitely not a "luxury" experience.

The inn was constructed to be reminiscent of an original adobe style home with original antiques and furniture. Unfortunately, people from the 1800's were not into being pampered. Our room had a beautiful stone fireplace and floor, but no rug. We had a futon couch and a wicker rocking chair and a hard platform bed.

Although I appreciate the uniqueness of the architecture, I would love to see feather beds, jacuzzis and LCD TVs in a "luxury" inn. Otherwise, just call yourself a B&B.

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 5, 2006

My husband and I had an enchanting stay at El Portal. We adored talking with the owners, eating wonderul dinners and glorious breakfasts and touring about Sedona (to walk off the cream on my morning French toast!) This inn is our kind of vacation spot: the experience is what one decides to make it..... If you what peace and relaxation, you can easily spend the day between the your bed and bathroom (the housekeeping woman are very lovely, very trustworthy, and very accomodating.) If you want to interact with Steve & Connie and the other guests, that is always an option to and on days that we did this, our conversations were thought provoking and wonderful. Have the vacation experience that you want at El Portal, my husband Eric and I did and WE LOVEED IT ! We ESPECIALLY loved the advice on local spots to visit and the gourmet tea (fresh cookies, fruits, unusal cheese and uncommon dried fruits) offered to all guests in the afternoons in the dining room! You'll Love it too!

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Edgerton, WI
Reviewed February 15, 2006

On a recent business trip to the Sedona region of Arizona, my wife and I decided to extend our stay in the region and El Portal caught our eye. It is a small "boutique" inn of only 12 rooms, just the size we enjoy. We made the right choice. The rooms were all different, ours had a patio, fireplace and room to relax and a bathroom that was functional with natural light. The inn is non-smoking, has complimentary wireless internet, phone, refrigerators, cable TV, VCR & DVD (with a great library of DVD's)and the usual ammenities. But what separates El Portal from other inns is the staff. Our hosts, Steve, Connie and Lynda were most helpful and the rest of the staff from David (in house guide) to Eden (chef), all treated us as long lost friends. Their friendliness was genuine and not forced. I will go out of my way to return to El Portal whenever I am in AZ, CO or NM. Along with the Inn at Perry Cabin, The Inn at Langley and the Pitcher Inn, El Portal has made it to our Best of US inn list. In addition, Sedona is one of, if not the best area of Arizona.

1 Thank LBMEdgerton_WI
Sedona, AZ
Reviewed February 13, 2006

Simply fabulous, I've stayed at El Portal at least a dozen times over the years. I LOVE it! The owners are friendly and kind, the food is amazing AND they're pet friendly. What more can you ask for? Sedona’s finest, unique and full of character, rustic, yet elegant and welcoming. I've stayed in just about every suite & I'll be returning soon.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business