“Lovely, centrally located, peaceful, friendly....”

El Portal Sedona Hotel
Ranked #8 of 29 Sedona B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at El Portal for our anniversary (with our 3 month old baby) mid May.

Top aspects about El Portal:
- Rooms are amazing! We stayed in room 11, but were able to view a few of the others. All of them were unique and decorated in an amazing way (old indian rugs, decorative furniture, unique art, interesting vaulted ceilings, etc). Our room had an awesome balcony area overlooking the courtyard area. very quiet, peaceful, and relaxing.
- LOCATION! located right in the Tlaquepaque Village it is within walking distance to those shops and places to eat. Even the shops in the main part of town are within a short walk.
- Snacks are set out by the staff in the evening (chips, cheese, salsa, tortillas, etc)
- Large DVD movie selection on a hallway book case upstairs for viewing in your room.
- Beautiful courtyard with tables/chairs, nightly fire pit, vines and flowers
- Friendly staff.
- small bed and breakfast feel
- We didn't have a dog, but the El Portal is very dog friendly

Cons:
- no pool or hot tub (if that is what you're looking for)
- service with breakfast could have been a little better, but the food was tasty. We were in no hurry so it didn't bother us.

Room Tip: We loved room 11 which was large and has a balcony overlooking the courtyard which was very nice! w...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for celebrating you anniversary with us! We hope you had a wonderful time in Sedona. We think our location is perfect too - just steps from Tlaquepaque and all it has to offer! We hope you come back and visit again!

There are newer reviews for El Portal Sedona Hotel

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at El Portal May 7-9th and loved the place. They designed and built a real Classic in our view. We had our two dogs with us and it was a perfect situation for us and the pups. They obviously love pets and the owners were involved in the Pet Industry for many years before building El Portal and moving permanently to Sedona. It was our first trip to Sedona and we fell in love with the place and El Portal. The location really couldn't be better. No real views of the red rock areas but that didn't detract from the experience in our view. Our room was very comfortable and very well appointed. The only "Cons" I can come up with is that breakfast was just OK and we thought a bit overpriced. Next visit we would probably choose to go elsewhere for breakfast. Would be nice if a limited breakfast was included in the price. Also, given the price of the rooms, I thought charging for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. in the Great Room area was unnecessary and creates a real "nickel and dime me to death" feel. Would suggest increasing the room prices a few bucks a day and making those items complimentary which they normally are at most high end establishments. But, all in all, we loved it and hope to return soon for another visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you - we appreciate your ideas and review! We enjoyed the pups too, and hope to see you again!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had 3 of the beautiful rooms; each decorated so uniquely and well appointed. All the normal amenties were at the hotel, as well as, cocktail snacks and the 24 hour keurig coffee maker and cookie jar with the excellent ranger cookies--my brother's favorite.
Another feature that we all enjoyed immensely was the fire pit in the middle of the courtyard burining every evening with a wonderfully fragrant juniper wood.
We found the owners and staff very friendly and customer focused. The breakfast was very good (omelets, cowboy potatoes, french toast, pancakes) and all seasoned so well.
The grounds are simply stunning with blooming flowers and bushes everywhere and all well kept. The hotel is located in an artsy part of Sedona with great restaurants within walking distance. Our 10 day trip covering the lengh of AZ lasted 10 days and El Portal was the highlight of the trip. It just felt like being home.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so happy everyone enjoyed their trip to Sedona and through Arizona. Glad you enjoyed the little touches too. Please come and visit us again.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel grounds, room, and location were exactly as described with a luxurious feel, southwest charm, period detail and superb location. I traveled with my dog who was very welcomed and comfortable during our stay.

In contrast to the setting, the service was extremely lacking. At breakfast, after waiting 15 minutes after being seated, I flagged down the server who had seated us to place an order. The omelet arrived looking like a scramble but was very flavorful. Toast was not with order and I was asked what I would like, "tortillas or toast" when the omelet arrived even though I had placed an order for toast at the onset. The restaurant was not busy, but by the time the toast arrived, it was cold and I was nearly finished with my meal.

Again, we waited 10 minutues for the check. When it was obvious the server was nowhere in sight, (she never checked on us/or how the meal was) I got up and went over to the owner to ask for a check. I received the check but was charged for coffee that I did not order. Though the lemon pancakes looked like a great choice for the next day, my dog and I went to other local eateries within walking distance where we received great table service, warm dog welcome and delicious food the following two days.

Service was lacking regarding the room cleaning as well. At check in, another dog's "business" was in the outside room trash can, so it appeared as if the can was not emptied with each guest's checkout. The outdoor bistro set for this room was very dirty. I scrubbed the tile grime clean myself before using it.

On the first night, I spilled powder on the bathroom floor. The next day when returning to our room, it was obvious the floors had not been completely cleaned as the powder was still on the floor along with dog hair and cottonwood tree debris.

On the second day, we left for breakfast and were assured the room would be cleaned promptly. Returning at noon, the room was not touched. We left again to return at 2:00 pm. Again the room was not serviced. I went to the front desk to request that the room be made up. The woman at the desk informed me that "they have many, many rooms to clean." (They have a total of 12 rooms and they were not all occupied the previous night). She further stated rooms are cleaned from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm and then again from 2:00 to 4:00 pm after the staff return from lunch.

I gently let her know that I had previously requested to have the room cleaned while we were out. She then made an effort to send two cleaning staff persons to make the room up. They arrived with windex and towels but without a cleaning cart, broom or vacuum.

While there, they spoke Spanish to each other (which I felt was rude in my presence). When I pointed out the need for vacuuming. A vacuum was brought down and a very minor section of the room was vacuumed.

On the last morning, housekeeping knocked at the door an hour before checkout to clean the room. This was sorely disappointing and I asked them to return after checkout.

When checking out, no staff persons were at the desk or in the Great Room. While this does speak to the informal relaxing atmosphere and honor system among guests, I was not able to express my staff concerns.

We left the key on the desk and departed. Not sure I would stay here again due to the service. However, the location, dog friendliness aspect and rooms are exceptional.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank PAM584
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

We're sorry for forgetting your toast, and generally people like to have the bill on their room account, this lets people sit and relax for as long as they would like to. We do offer room service as well, so even though the breakfast room may not be busy, we are serving breakfast to our guests who have requested it in their rooms.
We do apologize for the inconvenience of the room cleaning. We clean the rooms from 11am-3pm, and we do do our best to satisfy our guests. With cottonwood season if full "bloom" it does take extra time to get everything done.
Thank you.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

What a marvelous stay! Beautiful room, good breakfast and my companion, Sofi (a canine) thought she was the cats pajamas, being able to stay with me AND to be allowed in the Great Room at breakfast. It was a wonderful experience! The accomadations are wonderful! I will be back

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

So happy you enjoyed your stay & we loved having Sofi! Will be looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

First I want to say that this review is about El Portal Restaurant only.....not the hotel. Which seemed to have very lovely grounds and content guests!
My husband and I went to breakfast at El Portal. The restaurant had a rustic southwest beauty to it. The service was not good though. The restaurant was not busy but it took over 15 minutes for the waitress to come and take our order. You do need to go and get your own coffee which was no problem. However, we ( and several other guests) had to wait 10 - 15 minutes for the carafes to be refilled. My husband's breakfast burrito was tasty. My El Portal omelet looked more like a scramble but tasted ok. However, they forgot to put on the chipotle sauce and I had to ask for that. We once again waited for our bill to arrive at our table. The waitresses just didn't make us feel that we would want or need to eat there again

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

We apologize for the delays. The demand for breakfast and coffee, isn't just in the restaurant, we offer room service to our guests as well. So it may have appeared that we weren't busy in the breakfast room, but we were busy with our room service guests. We do appreciate your input!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

The best place to stay in Sedona, with or without your pet - by far!
My husband and I and our little corgi travel from PA to San Diego every year. We stop in Sedona on the way out and on our way home. We have always stayed at a well known resort and hotel. It has always been a great stay and quite dog friendly. We have never made reservations and have always been able to secure a room. Not so lucky this year. Or maybe it WAS lucky - because we stumbled upon El Portal. We were on our way home and only wanted to stay 3 nights. We ended up staying 7!
I fell in love with the rustic room we had...
The pet policy goes far beyond other hotels: no extra fees, no signing papers that say you can't leave your pet, or that it must be crated, or telling you your beloved can't snuggle up with you in bed...no, they actually give you a sheet and a little soft blanket to put on top of your bed so that your pup will be comfortable too. Also each room has a place for your dog to "go" that is convenient for both of you. You can tell the owners love dogs too. If you are lucky, you will meet the owners' sweet little Basset Hound.
Because we stayed longer than we first expected to, we had to be moved to a different room on 3 occasions. ( Each room is so unique that repeat customers often call and request a specific room) Since I am a "nester", I thought I would be irritated, but...The owner and staff made it seamless so we kept extending out stay. And I'm glad. We got to experience 4 different rooms. All the rooms were beautiful and felt cozy and actually gave me decorating and remodeling ideas!
Okay. On to the owner. Steve. He really makes it a plus. There is nothing like having the owner around, making sure everything is running smooth, telling you stories, suggesting place to see and eat at, giving directions to places in Sedona, helping the staff, trimming the vines, and relaxing with you when he can. We even over heard a "Bridezilla" flipping out the evening before her special day and Steve patiently and calmly smoothed out the situation. You can tell, and he will admit, that he loves his job! His wife Connie is also a shining star at El Portal. Her presence was also welcoming and helpful as was the entire staff. We were grateful for the familiar smiling faces everyday.
I feel sorry for anyone who writes a bad review and I say this, sometimes things just happen. Go back again. El Portal is a little piece of heaven in Sedona.
We will NEVER go anywhere else!!!!!!
And I forgot to mention the cookies. Everyday at 4:00, the staff sets out snacks. Chips and salsa, deviled eggs, veggies, olives and wonderful cookies. I think I gained 5 pounds. They also have an honor system where you can grab a beer or wine from the refrigerator.
Well, hope you stay at El Portal soon. It is a must in Sedona.

Room Tip: I loved room # 8 the best because it was more rustic. My husband loved # 11 because it was on the s...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Once in awhile people will stay long enough to really get to know them. These guests from Pennsylvania were a great couple and we will miss them - we loved Henry too! Sorry about all the moving, but thank you for understanding! Come visit us anytime!