“Very relaxing”
Review of Red Agave Resort

Red Agave Resort
Ranked #6 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Sedona
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Red Agave for our anniversary for 2 nights in a chalet. We had a great time! Not fancy but cozy and relaxing. We loved the views and the walking path that is connected to the grounds. The only thing I would change is the beds were not very comfortable. But all in all I would definitely stay at the Red Agave again!! Loved the feel of staying in a cabin : )

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We are a family of 5 (adults) who stayed for 2 nights over Christmas in one of the Chalets. We loved the cosy rustic feel of the chalet, nothing fancy but very comfortable. We did run into a problem the first night because the main room heater stopped working. They were quick to send someone over on Christmas day to try and fix the problem, unsuccessfully. They offered to move us to another chalet or wait until the next day for maintenance. We opted to stay where we were and they brought extra blankets for us. We were comfortable enough and it was quickly fixed the next morning. As others have already indicated the best feature of Red Agave is their location. The view was fantasic and you could walk out your door onto a lovely trail that climbed up towards Bell Rock. We also made use of the outdoor grill and the hot tub. Red Agave chalets are perfect for a casual family vacation, but don't go if you are thinking it's a 'resort' with all the amenities. My only complaint is that it's a bit pricey for what you get.

Room Tip: 'Fools Hollow' was a great chalet for a family to stay in
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012

The grounds are maintained very well. The floors, bath, and kitchen were not acceptable.
Hair in the drain, floors not mopped - all tile, counter tops were nasty. Old food on back of stove. Choose another place if clean is important.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Marilyn S
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My family stayed in a chalet for 2 nights. The best part of the Red Agave, by far, is the location and view! It is truly breathtaking to look out the windows and see the red rocks. The trail that begins at the property is lovely and easy to walk or bike. The property was quiet and peaceful while we were there.
The chalet we stayed in had a queen bed and a twin up in the loft, and there was a queen bed in the bedroom downstairs. The bathroom was set up such that the sink was separate from the shower and toilet, which was nice for a family getting ready. The kitchen area was tiny but had pretty much everything you needed. We did not use the pool or hot tubs because it was very chilly, but that area looked nice.
My mixed feelings come from the price per night considering what you get. There is no housekeeping, not even to empty the trash. I'm sure we could have asked about this, but because we were only there 2 nights it wasn't that big of a deal. The chalet itself was quite outdated. The stove/oven was very old, as was the heating/cooling system. The coffee pot and toaster had seen better days, and the filters for the coffee pot were way too big, resulting in a mess and not-so-great coffee. The beds and bedding were pretty basic and uncomfortable, as was the sofa. For tall people, the sloped walls/ceilings prove to be challenging, as does the steep, tight spiral staircase.
For $250 per night, I would usually expect more amenities and nicer finishes. However, I was completely aware of the price and most of what the property entailed before I booked, thanks to TripAdvisor. I think that our family would stay there again for the views, but next time I want to vacation in the Sedona area I will also consider other properties in the same price range.

Room Tip: All of the chalets have good views! I liked the ones closest to the pool. I communicated with staff...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank squirrelsmom
Cassie B, Owner at Red Agave Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the Red Agave Resort on TripAdvisor. We strive to give our guests a wonderful experience at the resort and we value any feedback from them.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Nice place to stay with amazing views and trails from the place. Views were the highlight. We linked onto some of the trails that left right from the hotel. Had views of Bell Rock and other red rocks. Okay pool and 2 hot tubs. Enjoyed the hot tubs alot and great to have bbq on our patio. Nice to have a small kitchen in our place. Very clean and incredibly quiet but close to Sedona attractions. Service staff could have been a bit more informed of the area or willing to share info and bed as a bit soft.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LGorecki
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I adore the Red Agave! The rooms are spacious, with comfy beds and beautiful views. My favorite part of the resort is the outdoor space shared with other guests, which includes patios, grills, fire-circle, hot-tub, and access to trails. This is not a place to stay if you are looking for an insular luxury get-away - the staff will not drool over you, kids and dogs can run freely, the heater/cooler is kind of loud. It is the perfect place to stay if value real, low-key, family and community-oriented spaces integrated into (rather than imposed on) the beautiful Red Rocks landscape!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dorothy T
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I really dig this place. I went there with my son and husband for 4 days. We brought our bikes and rented one from Bike and Bean (right around the corner). We spent every day riding our mountain bikes along the rocks, thanks to the well-explained map the guys at Bike and Bean gave us. At night, we hiked the trails just outside the resort. There is a Circle K a block away so we even rented movies from Redbox to watch in our Chalet (because we were exhausted). There are restaurants close to the resort or you can cruise into town for more options. I find town too touristy and the area of Red Agave is much more laid back. The resort was quiet when we were there, even though a big group of people checked in. I was pleasantly surprised that they were considerate of those of us not in their group and looking for some quiet. We stayed in a pet-free Chalet (we didn't bring our Lab) and it was very clean and well stocked. We bought groceries to eat at "home", which was a nice touch for in between bike rides. The beds were very comfy (we stayed in Boynton Canyon) and there is plenty of sleeping space. There is only one bathroom, though, so I would imagine that more people might prove to be tricky. I do caution anyone with little kids or older persons about the spiral staircase in the Chalets....very tight and would make for an awful accident on the tile floor. Overall, the resort is idea for bikers, hikers, runners, or nature lovers. Waking to Bell Rock and watching the colors change over the course of the day really helps you unwind from living in the city rush.

Room Tip: From what I could see, the pet-free rooms looked to be better furnished...or at least with faux-leat...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family