“Relaxing vaca with beautiful views”

Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

If you are going to Sedona, the Amara Spa and Resort is a great place to stay. A beautiful view of the red rocks that Sedona is known for, plus Oak Creek is right behind the hotel if you want a relaxing walk (or sit) by the creek. Wine hour every night. While we were there, they had a masseuse from the spa there to give chair massages during wine hour. Out back is the pool and plenty of chairs to enjoy the views. I forgot all about checking my Facebook and other things as I relaxed outside.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 31, 2014

I have traveled to dozens of countries and hotels, but my stay at Amara was one of the most uncomfortable for me. I was traveling with my girlfriends in our mid-20s and I felt consistantly unwelcomed to the resort. Even dicussions with staff about local area attractions were condescending when we asked about nightlife after 8pm in the area. The rooms were very nice, the grounds were gorgeous, but there was a sense that they did not want to cater to people outside of older couples. Solely based on the service, I will not return. This is almost 10 months later and is a much kinder review than I would have written immediately following the stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Our trip to the resort was fantastic. As far as facilities, the pool and cabanas were probably the highlight. I've never seen an infinity pool that looked over anything other than a body of water, but the infinity over the red rocks was stunning. The loungers and cabanas are first-come, first-served, which I think is a great philosophy at any resort. Food and drinks are available for service by the pool, and we spent the bulk of our vacation here (much nicer than the pool facilities next door at L'Auberge).

Staff were all friendly, from front desk to valet to spa to engineering. Special mention goes to Max in engineering, who went out of his way to vacuum up some terrifying bugs that made their way inside when we foolishly left the screen open briefly (BEWARE of terrifying insects at the creek). However, I would say the room left a little something to be desired. The layout was a bit awkward in our suite, and I felt some basic housekeeping details and room amenities were lacking. The room was not quite as clean/pristine as I would have liked (e.g., drink rings on the coffee table), and old room service glasses (from the previous guest) were left in the hall outside the room for hours. No in-room coffee maker, old blow dryer, worn bathrobes, etc. -- just a few little things amiss at this price point.

The spa was reasonably priced and the services were great. Love love love the free morning yoga. The food was also very good, with lots of food and beverage options (although the restaurant next door at L'Auberge was OUTSTANDING and worth a visit). Overall a great trip and I will definitely plan to return!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank carolbeths
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My wife and I recently were guests at the Amara Spa and Resort. We stayed in July. The resort is situated just off the main road, highway 89A, in uptown Sedona and is close to shopping and restaurants. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. The lobby is clean, tidy and modern – as is the restaurant and out-door seating areas. Similarly, our room – facing Oak Creek - was clean, quiet and comfortable.
The pool area, with a salt water pool, is OK but nothing special. There is one hot tub in the pool area.
Complimentary newspapers - US Today, Arizona Republic, New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal - are available in the lobby. There is also coffee and tea in the lobby area early in the morning. A complimentary wine is served in the lobby area between 5 and 6 pm.
The room lacked coffee making facilities. There is no complimentary breakfast.
It would be helpful if the management provided a clear list of what the guest obtains with the resort fee. The hotel is far over-priced. For the fee paid (about $310), one would expect at least coffee making facilities, and perhaps a complimentary breakfast. My impression is that one is paying for the 300-thread-count Italian linens, which really do not make you sleep any better. There are many alternatives in Sedona. For example, the Hampton Inn, which is 1.8 miles from central Sedona, is half the price and provides a complimentary breakfast and in room coffee facilities. Before booking at Sedona, I would suggest researching a good travel site to get better value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Goatherder925
Reviewed July 26, 2014

After driving from Phoenix with my father and three children, my husband and I were thrilled to discover a complimentary wine tasting in the lobby upon our arrival! The rooms were comfortable and had a beautiful view of the red rocks. We enjoyed breakfast outdoors both mornings we were there. The service was great. Great location in the center of town.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2014

From reservation, to check out, the Kimpton people define customer service. Room was great, grounds gorgeous, the bar manager comped our drinks when pool service was backed up. Valet guys were amazing, especially having to run up the steep hill to get the car. Food and drinks were excellent, salt water infinity pool neat, Will definitely come back for a reprieve from phoenix heat!

Room Tip: Get a room with garden view so you can watch sunset on red rocks
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my family and we loved it. It is a really charming hotel located in up town Sedona. The area is in the main street and it´s full of small shops, bars and restaurants.

In order to get into the hotel its necessary to go down a path that goes close to the famous creek Sedona has. The hotel has a wonderful back yard where the outside tables of the restaurant are placed. There is also located the swimming pool, right close to the creek. The view is amazing because it is possible to see the red mountains typical from the region behind the swimming pool.

The rooms are spacious, comfortable and nicely decorated. The only difficulty is that our shower was hard to open and not working properly. The breakfast was good, but everything was a la carte. I missed a good buffet that gives you options in a fast way.

The spa although small offers good treatments and good professionals. Prices are high if compared with Europe standards. But they offer yoga classes in the morning for free to guests.

The staff of the hotel was really special: quite effective and friendly without being fakery happy.

All in all, the Amara hotel is a special place and I would easily stay there again if coming back to Sedona.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the mountain could be an asset.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family