“Wonderful stay in Sedona!”

Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful stay in Sedona!”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I visited Sedona around Memorial Day, during the canyon fire, and were a bit disappointed about the smoke during the cool evenings/mornings. However, we had such a peaceful week staying at Amara. We were not disturbed by kids or dogs (it is a pet-friendly hotel), and even the renovations weren't too disruptive. We enjoyed the cabanas at the pool with the beautiful view and loved the free wine hour each night, especially one evening when it was followed by a live guitar performance. The morning yoga class was a nice way to start the day. Great service by the front desk, valet, and restaurant staff. It's close enough to walk up the hill to the Sedona shops and also has access to Oak Creek. I highly recommend the Amara!

Room Tip: We liked our second floor courtyard room, but it is a bit of a maze to get from there to the lobby.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
TXTravelLady12,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It’s great to hear you took advantage of the daily yoga and evening wine hours. Our patio and pool area is a great place to unwind and relax while taking in the view. The live music is certainly an added perk while enjoying the beautiful weather. Thanks for choosing to spend your vacation with us. Until next time…..

Warm regards,
Patrick Gaskin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jacksonville
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights end of May. I loved that it was a small boutique hotel. The staff were all amazing as they were professional, down to earth and friendly. We traveled from the East Coast, it was a nice suprise to arrive to live acoustical guitar next to a fire pit and water falls. The restaurant and bar is excellent with both paying attention to fresh foods and quality products. We also enjoyed the infinity pool overlooking the canyon and the cabanas. The room was pricey but it was most likely due to traveling on a holiday. The awesome staff, kimpton perks, and no hidden fees helped make upfor it. We both thoroughly enjoed our stay and look forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2014
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We went there as a family, just for one night before going hot air ballooning. The hotel is wonderfully placed in the center of Sedona, close to restaurants and craft shops. But besides its location, the welcome and the comfort were amazing!!! Our rooms were beautifully decorated in a springlike style, we enjoyed a delicious happy hour with red and white wines, as well as lemonades, the valet parking was an very pleasant surprise.

We cannot comment on dinner or breakfast as we went out for both, although we enjoyed coffee in the lobby upon our return from the balloon trip.

Definitely a must when you visit Sedona - a cradle of luxury at a surprisingly affordable price.
Well done!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Anne,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled to hear that one night you stayed with us you felt comfortable and well taken care of; that is certainly our goal. Wine hour is always a great time to unwind and meet some pretty incredible people while sharing your adventures for the day or what adventures you have in store for the next day (hot air ballooning). Come back and stay a little longer next time.
Warm regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I made our Hotel Amara reservation three months prior to arrival. After reading several reviews, less than stellar, I chose Amara because of the Kimpton flag and thought they were on the right track with modifications and upgrades as reviews indicated. I phoned to make my reservation to specifically request a pool facing room (another helpful hint from TripAdvisor comments). While not guaranteed, I would hope that a reservation so far in advance would have the hope of being honored - wrong! Check in was bumpy due to new staff (that's okay), and I was informed that my reservation was upgraded to a suite, facing the creek. When I declined and requested my original reservation, I was offered a room with a pool view - wrong again. The sliding door faced the brick wall side of the decorative waterfall. I went back to the suite. Don't let the photos lead you: this property is still heavily under renovation (no chairs/table on balconies, no real pool views) and the second floor of one building is empty. The room decor is average and the bathroom small. We were awakened Saturday morning by laborers working on the suite above. Amara, please note that you may want to somewhat soundproof the floor above.

Room Tip: When renovations are complete, request a second floor room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tracey S
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Tracey,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your visit. I am sorry to hear that it was less than a stellar stay and overall disappointing experience. Clearly we missed the mark from the start and it continued throughout which is extremely disappointing. The property was receiving a much needed face lift throughout but I apologize that this impacted your stay. The guest rooms, courtyard, and lobby now have the Kimpton touches that I am sure you are accustomed to. We understand our guests expect a great deal from a Kimpton property and we have those same high expectations for ourselves. I’m sorry we didn’t live up to it but this feedback will ensure we are continually pushing for greatness.
Anthem, Arizona
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I work in the hotel business, so when I see good customer service, I know it! Every single staff member I encountered throughout my weekend stay was amazing. Super friendly, helpful, and always willing to go out of their way for us. Upon check-in the front desk clerk (Olivia!) asked what brought us here and we told her it was for my 21st birthday. Later on that day, I received a complimentary bottle of champagne and a hand written birthday card from her! Talk about awesome, made me feel so welcome! The room was extremely well kept, clean and spacious. Pool was relaxing, and the view was incredible. I especially loved the free yoga classes at the spa and the steam room. There was even a happy hour where there was a free wine bar. Overall, I've never had a better experience at a hotel or resort and I would recommend Amara to anyone looking for a relaxing stay!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
metro NYC
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I recently stayed at the Amara with my mother for a couple days of 'girl time'. We had a fabulous time. The very best thing about the resort is the staff. Every single one was friendly, courteous and helpful - we felt well taken care of, yet they were not pretentious at all. The resort has a beautiful pool/patio with an amazing view. Valet parking is part of the resort fee and they are quick as can be, Even still, I would have liked the option to self-park as I had a day of running back and forth between town and hotel and it would have just been easier. The resort sits down a large hill and while some walked it up and down to get to the main road, they do offer a shuttle bus to take you anywhere within a mile radius. That was helpful as we'd have them drop us and then do some shopping and walk our way back. The nightly 5pm free wine/appetizer hour was nice. Not the world's greatest wine, but it was fine (and free!). And it was nice to sit in the lobby with some other guests or take it out to the patio to enjoy the view.

The room was nice - no major complaints. Couple little things - the bathroom light a little dusty, desk chair a little worn with some dirt smudges, etc. But the important things (bed, toilet, shower, etc) were all very clean. We didn't have the best view - mostly the side of a building, but there were some red rocks in the distance, so we just focused on those! :) We also noticed we didn't have the little bistro set on our deck that the other units had so mentioned it the first morning when we went down for coffee/breakfast. By the time we got back upstairs 30 or so minutes later, we had a bistro set! Very quick and helpful!

We each had facials and massages at the spa and that was wonderful! Great services and no high pressure sell of products at the end.

Even with a couple very minor issues, I still think this is an outstanding resort. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Sedona!

Room Tip: There are three buildings on either side of the lobby connected by outdoor walkways. We requested a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Long Island, NY
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Be careful when booking this hotel regarding its cancellation policy. We had booked many months in advance. We were advised cancellation was required 72 hours prior to arrival. Due to plane reservations, we needed to cut stay short, from four nights to three. When we called two weeks prior to trip, we were told that entire reservation would have to be cancelled and rebooked at the CURRENT rate, increasing per night rate by over 33%.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank OwlsAerie
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
OwlsAerie,
I am sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. We know traveling is stressful enough without cancelations, planes delayed, etc. We don’t ever want you to have that stressful and frustrating experience at the Amara. The team wants all of our guests to have the best possible experience and will work tirelessly to make it right. Sedona and the Amara are popular destinations and rates do vary depending on time of year. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.