“Great Hotel and Staff!”

Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Great Hotel and Staff!”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights. It was quite, clean and comfortable. The beds are very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was the relaxing environment that we were hoping for. It was a nice central location in town.

The valet was a great convenience but creates a lot of extra tipping that we weren't expecting, especially when our car was parked in the front row about 50 feet away from the door most of the time. Although there is no breakfast included the food at the restaurant is quite good and price fairly.

The wine and snack time was great. The hostess was delightful.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor by the pool and didn't have a view because of the towel cabana. Secon...
Green Features: Amara seems to have a handle on this with environmentally friendly products all the way to organic cuisine.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Famfun2013,

Thank you for the kind words about the property and the team. The beds are amazing and allow for a great night’s rest after venturing out seeing beautiful Sedona. Restaurant is a great value with some amazing views from the patio. Glad to hear you enjoyed the wine hour, it is truly a lot fun and you meet some incredible people.

Patrick Gaskin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Well whatever you do, don't leave anything there.

It was nearly $400 night for a small room. They did not describe the room properly. Then I left a few items of significant personal value and apparently they think it may have been given out to employees there. Well I hope they enjoy the watch from my father and bracelet from a relative that passed. I called and had left my name and number... they had found the items, but never set them aside with my info. For $400 you'd think they could drop the items in an envelope with my name and number vs. giving out what is NOT theirs to give. On top of this, I was strung along by one of their customer service agents... who begged for my email to set things right. Never heard from them again.

Hopefully some of you hear from me and find a different hotel!

Room Tip: No food was included. Customer service pathetic. Small and expensive room that was not described p...
Green Features: There were none. No evident recycling. No low flow water.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Heather S
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Unfortunately, this was our worst travel experience to date and I do not see how Amara is considered a Kimpton resort. While we had a less than acceptable reservation experience, we are always open to second chance opportunities. Prior to our arrival, we were contacted by Kristin Ingram asking if there was anything that could be arranged to enhance our upcoming stay. Since we have a baby, Kristen offered to make arrangements to have a crib ready in our room. Upon check in, we asked if the crib was set up in our room and the front desk staff replied “it should be”. Our room was located on the second floor of the right wing at the very end of the hall. Please note that the property has multiple sections that are connected by a series of stairs. Only the first few rooms have elevator access. The rest of the rooms are not stroller, wheelchair or handicap accessible. Upon arriving to our room, we quickly noticed that we did not have a crib, so I called the front desk. The response was “ok, we will send someone to take care of that for you”. Two hours passed by and still no sign of a crib? We were meeting friends and family for dinner, so while the valet was getting our car, I stopped by the front desk to let them know that the crib had still not arrived. They assured me that this would be taken care of immediately. Based on our experience so far, I thought it would be a good idea to call the resort before returning, just to make sure that the crib was ready. Thankfully, it was nice to hear “Yes, we have set up the crib in your room”. We arrived back to our room around 9:30 PM and guess what? No crib! I called the front desk again to find out what happened and the response was “Daniel told me that he set up the crib, I will send someone right now”. Around 10:00 PM, I heard some noise in the hall so I opened the door to find Daniel setting up a pack and play! Note to Amara, a pack in play is not a crib. For starters, one has a mattress and one does not. Frustrated beyond belief, we refused the pack and play and went to bed. Please also note that the rooms at the end of the hall share space with multiple rooms and the walls are very thin. You will be able to hear your neighbor’s conversations as well as doors opening and closing throughout the night. The following morning, I asked to speak to the manager Patrick Gaskin but I was told that he was not available. When I asked for an explanation, I was informed by the front desk staff that they do not even have cribs. If this is true, please remove this amenity from your website. The lesson learned was that our experience was far beyond a simple misunderstanding or oversight. Once you lose your customer’s trust, it is almost impossible to remedy the situation. We would not return to Amara again, even if it was free!

Room Tip: Do not stay at the end of a hallway
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank GreatTraveltime
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We spent 3 night here and it was our first time at Amara.

Service is great (staff always smiling, asking you if you need anything else and being helpful). We had a negative and bland experience with one concierge staff who checked us in. We found her to be 'robotic' and 'uninterested' in her mannerism (would not provide options for us, kept repeating her 'no' over an issue that we raised,didn't smile or put a positive energy into what she was saying and didn't tell us about the Kimpton rewards program that we could have joined). Such an approach just doesn't work in a magical place like Sedona.

The best concierge service we received was from Mattea; she smiles, provides options to eat and do in the area and was always helpful and approachable. The rooms are quite and beds are comfortable (we had a padio room in the right wing area). The yoga classes are great, The pool and jacuzzi is just incredible (salt water, the creek and canyons are right in front of you). So overall the pool area, steam room, food at the restaurant and comfort plus Mattea's help and smiles made our stay wonderful. We'll be back. Thank you

Room Tip: Choose the right wing area
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SalOZ
Pittsburgh, Pa
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My family just spent two great days at the Amara. Our kids loved it, but it's probably an even better hotel for couples looking for a romantic getaway. The courtyard and pool areas were beautiful. There is a great hot tub, saltwater infinity pool, fire pits, and amazing views of the red rocks. The location was good for a family - right in the middle of Uptown Sedona with its t-shirt shops and restaurants - while being quiet and peaceful at the same time because it's at the bottom of a hill next to Oak Creek. The hotel is new to the Kimpton portfolio, and I understand it is to be renovated soon. Most of the staff worked at the Amara before it became a Kimpton property, but they are great Kimpton representatives. (In particular, Mattea at the front desk was great - very friendly and helpful!)

Room Tip: Selecting a courtyard room should get you a view of the red rocks and creek area.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Banchory, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Five night stay which was wonderful and truly relaxing. Had two excellent treatments in the spa . Wonderful welcome on arrival . Hallways and corridors are rather dated , however our room was lovely and bed very comfortable. Felt the staff uniforms were rather poor and old fashioned ,and more care home than spa resort. Loved the firepits outside at night, all staff at the resort worked hard to ensure you were having a good time. Free wine hour was great as was free Yoga and free water , tea and coffee. Would return ! Sedona is one special place .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I loved this place! The beds were so comfy and wonderful. The hot tub was great. Loved the salt water pool. Amazing after a day of hiking. I am already wanting to go back. The afternoon wine bar was terrific, but my favorite was definitely the apple cider with whiskey,....yum! The staff was attentive and anticipated every need. Do not miss the walk along the creek,. So relaxing!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple