“Great hotel - typical Kimpton superb service”

Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My family just spent two great days at the Amara. Our kids loved it, but it's probably an even better hotel for couples looking for a romantic getaway. The courtyard and pool areas were beautiful. There is a great hot tub, saltwater infinity pool, fire pits, and amazing views of the red rocks. The location was good for a family - right in the middle of Uptown Sedona with its t-shirt shops and restaurants - while being quiet and peaceful at the same time because it's at the bottom of a hill next to Oak Creek. The hotel is new to the Kimpton portfolio, and I understand it is to be renovated soon. Most of the staff worked at the Amara before it became a Kimpton property, but they are great Kimpton representatives. (In particular, Mattea at the front desk was great - very friendly and helpful!)

Room Tip: Selecting a courtyard room should get you a view of the red rocks and creek area.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Five night stay which was wonderful and truly relaxing. Had two excellent treatments in the spa . Wonderful welcome on arrival . Hallways and corridors are rather dated , however our room was lovely and bed very comfortable. Felt the staff uniforms were rather poor and old fashioned ,and more care home than spa resort. Loved the firepits outside at night, all staff at the resort worked hard to ensure you were having a good time. Free wine hour was great as was free Yoga and free water , tea and coffee. Would return ! Sedona is one special place .

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I loved this place! The beds were so comfy and wonderful. The hot tub was great. Loved the salt water pool. Amazing after a day of hiking. I am already wanting to go back. The afternoon wine bar was terrific, but my favorite was definitely the apple cider with whiskey,....yum! The staff was attentive and anticipated every need. Do not miss the walk along the creek,. So relaxing!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa O
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a very relaxing stay. At check in Mattea was so friendly and helpful to tell us all the amenities. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The infinity pool and hot tub was an added plus. Each afternoon we relaxed by the pool and spent time in the hot tub. Then at 5:00 PM we enjoyed wine tasting in the lobby. Enjoyed talking with other guests and the staff. Ryan and Patrick were warm and friendly to discuss how our day went. Everyone was so friendly. We enjoyed dinner in the dining room. Very fresh and delicious meals. The views of the red rock formations from the room and pool were great. We will highly recommend this hotel and we will return when in the area. This was a great place to end our vacation!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor with balcony overlooking the pool. Great views.
2  Thank cindym57
Patrick G, General Manager at Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Cindym57
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and the kind words about the team. We loved having you with us and it was great fun catching up during wine hour. Chef Ric is thrilled you enjoyed your meals. We look forward to welcoming you back next time your adventures take you out west.

Warm regards,

Patrick Gaskin, General Manager

Reviewed January 18, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent three nights at Amara and were very impressed with the entire experience. The hotel is lovely, with a heated pool, hot tub, great view, and steam room. But what was most impressive was the service. Everyone that we came encounter with was extremely friendly and more then willing to help us with day trip plans and restaurant recommendations. There was always someone to open the front door for us (sometimes it's the little things).The free shuttle service to and from town was a life saver. Free coffee/juice in the morning and wine in the early evening also saved us a few bucks. But what stood out the most is the day my boyfriend rolled his ankle on our hike. As soon as he limped into the hotel we were the center of attention. The hotel manager (I think his name was Bryan) even went out of his way to drive to the grocery store and get him an Ace bandage.

To sum up Amara - the hotel is great but the people are what make the experience worth bragging about. I am a customer service snob and expect a lot when I spend my hard earned money. I would recommend this hotel to my family, friends and you!

Greetings TreasureHunter401
Wow!!! Thank you for your rave reviews about the team. I am sorry to hear that your boyfriend was injured during your hike. I am thrilled that Bryan made sure that he was comfortable and taken care of. That’s what the team does here…. they make you feel like a friend or part of the family. When you are in our home we want to ensure you are well take care of. We can’t wait to see you on your next visit.
Thank you for your kind words.

Patrick Gaskin, General Manager

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I agree with a previous reviewer, this would be a Holiday Inn in any other setting. I booked this hotel because of the view from the hot tub, which is spectacular. However, note the following if you want to stay here. There is a left and right wing - Avoid at all costs the left wing. This is were I stayed. Thankfully I was on the top floor. Even so, the view is a parking lot and there is an incredibility loud generator that is on 24/7 from the holiday apartments passed the parking lot. It is loud and sleep is near impossible, I requested to be moved to the creekside. There are only 4 rooms on the left wing that are creekside, so make sure you request one of those. I was not on the ring wing so have no idea what the setting is like there.

It is centrally located which is nice but, all in all, if you have a car and you are interested in taking walks, you really don't need to be in the 'center' of town. Don't get your hopes up, the view is great from the hot tub, the rooms are average at best.

There is no coffee in rooms so you have to go into the lobby in you PJ's to get a cup which is annoying, and the cups are small. The gym is okay for away from home use.

Also, annoying is that the charge a 'resort fee' of $20 per day, on top of your room fee! I had no idea about this until I checked out. The fee is useless - I'm not sure why the charge this as it is not a resort and the only extra is the hot tub, gym and pool which most hotels have. There is a tiny 'spa' in the parking lot if that counts.

The only thing it has going for it is the view from the hot tub. But I'm sure there are cheaper places in Sedona with comparable views.

I say try any of the other resorts in Sedona before this one.

Room Tip: Avoid the left wing - the view is a parking lot and there is a loud generator 24/7.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank trek8080
Reviewed January 17, 2014

An unexpected and hidden (location) retreat in the heart of everything. Updated and comfortable,
Lovely backyard with peaceful atmosphere, Friendly people and reasonable food.
Originally we planned to stay just a night, but stayed 3 days:),
Would love to stay here again next time I am in Sedona