“Watch the Sunset”

Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The Amara Resort and Spa has a lovely patio that looks across at the red rock cliffs, including the Snoopy formation. It is the perfect place to watch the sunset as the shadow climbs up the cliffs in the evening. The pool is well situated for the same view from the cabanas or hot tub. You can walk along Oak Creek for about a quarter mile and enjoy the water fowl and flowing water. Other amenities include spa with yoga, bar, restaurant, coffee or water in the expansive lobby, and free valet parking. Uptown Sedona is an invigorating walk up to the street from the hotel. Pets are allowed. Wine and munchies are served in the lobby at happy hours. Rooms have a small patio or balcony. The staff is friendly.

Room Tip: The interior rooms overlook the patio and the red rock cliffs.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Tucked away from the crazy, this small boutique hotel that is 100 rooms strong, is a new favorite. Right on the creek , it's a step drop from the Main Street but they offer free valet parking and a shuttle up the hill if you like. FREE bike rentals, happy hour, valet parking and morning yoga make up for the higher room rate. Be sure to ask for a room on the second floor.

Web page makes the property look larger than it is so it may be noisy in the summer. We were there off season, end of November, so it was terrific to open the upstairs doors at night and enjoy the water features on the property.

Drawback, be prepared to walk to your room. The hotel is very linear and we had to walk through three sets of doors, outside, to get to our room.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy B
Patrick G, General Manager at Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Tracy,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We think we have a little piece of heaven here but hope it is a hidden treasure no more. I will share your kind words with the team. We hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

After a long day of driving, we arrived just in time to take advantage of the complimentary wine reception in the lobby - yes! Free wine is always a bonus. I really like the hip vibe of Kimpton hotels and the fact that they don't charge extra for pets is a huge plus. The view from the back of the restaurant and pool area is breathtaking. We had a delicious meal at the on site restaurant and great customer service all around. If we return to Sedona, we will stay here again!

Room Tip: Sign up for the loyalty program - you will get a $10 credit to use at the bar or the in-room mini ba...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank koci1
Patrick G, General Manager at Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our wine hour. There is not a better hour during the day than 5p-6p in a Kimpton hotel. Four legged freinds are always welcome and Kimpton makes it easy. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Sedona.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Nothing went right. Arrived and i had had made arrangements to have birthday cake in room. Had to wait for them to get it. No one gave us directions to room. When we asked at restaurant they asked if we were guest why didnt we have luggage. Ever heard of valet parking. Finally got to room no cake . Then they put it in fridge. Not on table so no big reveal to 100 cake. Room suppose to have balcony it was 1 ft deep. Called to get real balcony. Than lost room with view. Got on line to see if i could up grade at cost they said no rooms available even though web site showed it was. They had wedding happening so pool/ht tub closed for wedding. No one cared that weekend was 50th bday and so many disappointments. No we are sorry. No free bottle wine nothing. Wont go back. Stay away not worth hassles to be treated badly by staff. This is Sedona I expect good service. This is not the place. To many other choices. Stay away. Also cleaning carts in hallways. Just not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013
5  Thank Magachelle

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry to hear it was not a positive one and we missed the mark with your birthday celebration. The pool did close for 90 minutes so that a couple could exchange their vows on their special day. Wine hour was extended to accommodate guests not part of the wedding celebration and the pool did reopen after the ceremony. Sedona is a truly special place I apologize that we did not make your weekend here a positive one. We certainly want all of our guests to enjoy the magic of Sedona.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I can't review a stay at the actual hotel, considering I just cancelled our reservations based on just my phone experience with the girls at the front desk. I booked the trip through Expedia and got a decent rate, but had to call two times to confirm some items. Both times I got the snottiest girls on the phone who acted like I was wasting their precious nail-painting time because I, the paying customer, had several questions about our family vacation.

No way was I going to risk having to see their negative attitudes in person. I've been to Sedona 6 times and it's an incredible place, obviously not having any positive effect on those two. Sorry Amara, you lose.

I just cancelled my reservation and we're booked at a different resort that was tremendously pleasant on the phone. I might try you again in the future if you choose to do the obvious and correct thing which would be to hire professional client service people who are presenting a first impression of your establishment.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Russell N

Greetings from Sedona Mr. Noga ,
I am sorry to hear about your very disappointing experience during your two separate phone calls to the property. I am shocked and disappointed to hear that the front desk receptionist was rude and unhelpful. This is not typical of the service levels we pride ourselves on at Kimpton Hotels. I am extremely embarrassed. I understand your willingness to cancel your reservation and make arrangements elsewhere. I know it will be difficult to change your opinion of our property but I hope you may give us another opportunity in the future. I ask that you reach out to me directly so that I may assist with your reservation. I would like to show you the true Kimpton experience here in Sedona.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Convenient location, beautiful setting along the creek. I have been here 3 times and just love it.

Lovely place. You'll enjoy your stay outside your room as much as inside!

Nice restaurant, warming fire pit, delightful pool with a killer view.

Treat yourself with a stay here. Make some memories!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I was not feeling particularly great the morning that we left Tampa; UNTIL we arrived at "the Amara".
Holy s**t, WHAT?!??!?!!', my brain said, as we wandered around the grassy area with tables, chairs, couches, fire pit.....WAIT! COUCHES??
I sat down and relaxed into one of, if not THE, most comfortable outdoor pieces of furniture ever.
Our room was gorgeous, of course, and the concierge and wait staff, impeccable. I couldn't help asking one of guys of immediate Native American descent what the casino on the reservation was like.
PRAYING he wouldn't wish death upon me, he smiled and said, "why you wanna go there?
I told him about my daughter being 1/4 Native American & that wasn't my sole purpose- to walk in her shoes, I was just "curious".
His eyes shifted from brown to gray and he said, "Don't go there; it's just depressing." His look stayed with me through the rest of our trip: Cathedral Rock (a must see), Tlaquepaque with it's mainly art shops and exquisite restaurant, and some of the MANY Oak Creek hiking trails- breathtaking.
I like to be pampered and we were (they do have a "spa" wing with Yoga, massage and the like) but it had that mountain charm I did not have at home.

• Stayed: February 2013